Thread: dhclient issue!!

Unhappy dhclient issue!!

I am running BT4 in vmware (not the vmware image), but the original iso with a LInksys wusb54gc adapter, and I was trying to connect to my access point with dhclient. I've been successful may be 3 times or so, but after that I keep getting "No DHCP offers received.
    No working leases in persistent data base - sleeping". I don't know what this means I tried googling but no useful info came up. Whats wrong?
    Commands:

iwconfig wlan0 essid (name) my key (key)
    dhclient wlan0

I've heard members saying that vmware doesn't allow you to connect through the usb dongle, but I know thats not true because I've connected this way before. Also route add default gate way 192.168.1.1 comes back as "no such process." Any suggestions.

This may be symantics, but dhclient does not connect you to your access point. That is what iwconfig is for. dhclient merely requests an IP lease from your dhcp server. This will not work unless you have successfully authenticated and associated with your network first.

As for your "route add" problem, the correct syntax is:

Code:
    route add default gw 192.168.1.1
    (not "gate way" as 2 seperate words). The man page would have cleared that up.

I would open up wireshark and see if your dhcp request packet is going out and if you receive a dhcp ack from the server, then proceed accordingly.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by kid protocol View Post

iwconfig wlan0 essid (name) my key (key)
    dhclient wlan0
    are you remembering to bring the adapter down (ifconfig wlan0 down) before you are running iwconfig? and dont forget to bring it back up afterwards...also my key (key)?

iwconfig wlan0 essid BLAH key BLAH

and are you using WEP or WPA because you cant put a WPA key in using iwconfig if i remember correctly...

Quote Originally Posted by cybrsnpr View Post
    This may be symantics, but dhclient does not connect you to your access point. That is what iwconfig is for. dhclient merely requests an IP lease from your dhcp server. This will not work unless you have successfully authenticated and associated with your network first.

As for your "route add" problem, the correct syntax is:

Code:
    route add default gw 192.168.1.1
    (not "gate way" as 2 seperate words). The man page would have cleared that up.

I would open up wireshark and see if your dhcp request packet is going out and if you receive a dhcp ack from the server, then proceed accordingly.

My mistake (gateway) is what I use I missed typed, but thats the message I'm getting still.

Also dhclient has not given me an ip address that is the problem. I've used "iwconfig wlan0 my network my key. Then I use dhclient wlan0" to assign my ip and subnet. After that I'm able to open web pages. Now it just gives me a message saying its sleep, and yes I tried ifconfig wlan0 down then ifconfig wlan0 up afterwards, and it did the same thing. When I check iwconfig wlan0 it says the name and the key I gave, but it says not associated. I thought once I give the name, and the key I was associated.

I thought once I give the name, and the key I was associated.
    Nope! That's probably your problem. Maybe move closer to the AP for testing purposes. Also, association doesn't happen automatically, give it a minute or two. You may also want to set the channel using iwconfig to speed things up.

Nope! That's probably your problem. Maybe move closer to the AP for testing purposes. Also, association doesn't happen automatically, give it a minute or two. You may also want to set the channel using iwconfig to speed things up.
    Ok let me make sure i understand. Association doesn't happen automatically, and I might have to set the channel to speed things up.
    So how exactly do I associate with my ap? I tried iwconfig wlan0 ap auto, and that didn't work, and would sitting to far from my ap give me the message "No DHCP offers received. No working leases in persistent data base - sleeping"?

Just burned his ISO

That's exactly right. If it worked before, and it seems like it only worked intermittently, then he is probably correct. DHCP requests and offerings have to travel to your card the same way everything else does...over the waves. Depending upon the router you have, and where/how it is positioned, you might not be receiving these signals and vice versa. If this router is in the house and not on the same floor as you, try positioning the antenna parallel to the floor. Otherwise vertical is best. You might also want to configure the router maybe from another machine to get better distance performance. I bet that this router is cranked to the max power settings which isn't always the best setting because of the noise it creates, etc.

On a side note...is it possible that the host OS is claiming this adapter before your guest OS can begin to use it? If Windows or whatever you use natively has already configured and associated with the ap through this device, then the guest OS would not be able to do anything with other than bridge the connection etc. through VMWare. Try booting the guest OS up first, and then sticking in the USB wifi dongle if you aren't already doing that.

Hope I made sense and maybe helped.

Ok let me make sure i understand. Association doesn't happen automatically, and I might have to set the channel to speed things up.
    Association is an automatic part of the connection process, you don't need to do anything special to make it happen, however, as in many other things in life, things don't always work as advertised everytime. That is why I mentioned waiting a minute and/or trying to specify a channel.

Sometime packets just get lost in the air, and need to retransmit (or a hundred other reasons).

"No DHCP offers received. No working leases in persistent data base - sleeping"?
    As for this problem, your DHCP server (I assume it is your AP) may be out of IP leases. You can do 1 of 2 things to try and remedy this:

1. Power cycle your DHCP server, that should wipe out the assigned leases.
    2. Increase the amount of leases available on the DHCP server.

Association is an automatic part of the connection process, you don't need to do anything special to make it happen, however, as in many other things in life, things don't always work as advertised everytime. That is why I mentioned waiting a minute and/or trying to specify a channel.

Sometime packets just get lost in the air, and need to retransmit (or a hundred other reasons).

As for this problem, your DHCP server (I assume it is your AP) may be out of IP leases. You can do 1 of 2 things to try and remedy this:

1. Power cycle your DHCP server, that should wipe out the assigned leases.
    2. Increase the amount of leases available on the DHCP server.

What I don't under stand I could connect no problem with the airport card on my mac book, but bt3, and 4 under vmware is giving me hell. My macboks signal strength is beautiful (full bars), but my linksys wusb54gc connects every now, and then. I don't think its an issue with the router I power cycled the dhcp server, and still the same thing.