Thread: CUDA wordlist generator

Default CUDA wordlist generator

I am slowly learning how to program, eventually I would like to learn cuda.
    I do have a few questions though.
    1. I have herd cuda is a lot like C is this true or am I following the wrong path.
    2. can a cuda program create a word list? for example 8 character word list with lower letters a-z.

I would like to get some books as I am staying at our cabin for 2 months with no internet/tv to watch/use. Got to kill the time somehow.

Good friend of the forums

Quote Originally Posted by intertan View Post
    I am slowly learning how to program, eventually I would like to learn cuda.
    I do have a few questions though.
    1. I have herd cuda is a lot like C is this true or am I following the wrong path.
    2. can a cuda program create a word list? for example 8 character word list with lower letters a-z.

I would like to get some books as I am staying at our cabin for 2 months with no internet/tv to watch/use. Got to kill the time somehow.
    I can't answer question 1, but I can answer question 2. Use a program called crunch (/pentest/password/crunch) or see http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=18448 to generate word lists. I suspect you could write a cuda program to do it, but why bother.
    I like the bleeding edge, but I don't like blood loss

Developer

You should check out the CUDA documentation but yes its a C language (Its more complicated than this)

http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~knutm/geilo2008/seland.pdf

I am just figuring that cuda may be able to generate the words faster that the cpu.
    With programs like pyrit, aircrack (eventually), cheaper/bigger hard drive storage, faster gpu's, a guy might want to create a massive 8-12 character word list. While the cpu can do alot of things a gpu can do more.

There is still the time/memory trade off but it all comes down to another tool to play with.

BTW if anybody does want to create one before I do feel free, just make sure it is free

Good friend of the forums

Quote Originally Posted by intertan View Post
    I am just figuring that cuda may be able to generate the words faster that the cpu.
    With programs like pyrit, aircrack (eventually), cheaper/bigger hard drive storage, faster gpu's, a guy might want to create a massive 8-12 character word list. While the cpu can do alot of things a gpu can do more.

There is still the time/memory trade off but it all comes down to another tool to play with.

BTW if anybody does want to create one before I do feel free, just make sure it is free
    I don't get it. Even if generating the wordlist in the gpu is 10x faster than the CPU your bottleneck becomes the IO system and/or your hard drive capacity. Then there is the problem that several applications can't read those large files. John the ripper can't use a wordlist greater than 2GB in size. Also for maximum speed you want a wordlist that can fit into memory. My old motherboard can only support 1GB of RAM so I use a wordlist size of 512MB and john goes quite fast. If I do the same crack using a 1GB wordlist it takes about 2 times longer to crack due to swapping.
    I like the bleeding edge, but I don't like blood loss

Developer

You are correct. The true power of cuda is for generating rainbow tables.

Just burned his ISO

is there a way to split a cowpatty table in to sizes or will this just ruin it?

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by commandr View Post
    is there a way to split a cowpatty table in to sizes or will this just ruin it?
    Why would you want to do that?

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    You are correct. The true power of cuda is for generating rainbow tables.

Are there any efforts to port aircrack itself to the GPU?
    "You shot who in the what now?"

Quote Originally Posted by spacemonkey View Post
    Are there any efforts to port aircrack itself to the GPU?
    never mind, just answered my own question

h**p://trac.aircrack-ng.org/ticket/112

looks like it's in the works for version 2.1
    "You shot who in the what now?"