Thread: Wireless not working

Just burned his ISO

Default Wireless not working

Hey,
    Ok so i can't get my wireless card working with BT4. Iv'e spent an entire day downloading drivers and ndiswrapper and such. Nothing is working!!

My laptop is a compaq cq50

iwconfig shows no wireless extensions.

ifconfig shows eth0 and lo only.

lshw -C network shows:
    *-network UNCLAIMED
    description: Network controller
    product: AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express)
    vendor: Atheros Communications Inc.
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:07:00.0
    version: 01
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix bus_master cap_list
    configuration: latency=0

Thanks

The AR9xxx isn't supported by madwifi yet. It is by the kernel though. You may have to compile the kernel module.

Just burned his ISO

How would i go about doing that?

Default ath9k

That card is supported by the ath9k module (which you can implement via "modprobe ath9k")...I'm not sure which version of the driver is in the distro, but there is a new daily version (it's undergoing rapid development) available at: wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Download

HOWEVER. I did load this module in BT4b, and when I tried /etc/init.d/networking start, I got the following msg:

"wmaster0: unknown hardware address type 801"

but if you try lspci, it does show up, so I'm not sure where to go from here.

Quote Originally Posted by custode View Post
    That card is supported by the ath9k module (which you can implement via "modprobe ath9k")...I'm not sure which version of the driver is in the distro, but there is a new daily version (it's undergoing rapid development) available at: wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Download

HOWEVER. I did load this module in BT4b, and when I tried /etc/init.d/networking start, I got the following msg:

"wmaster0: unknown hardware address type 801"

but if you try lspci, it does show up, so I'm not sure where to go from here.
    eBay is a good start.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

implying go with a different card? Works fine in nUbuntu, (2.6.27, with ath9k) though to get the aircrack suite working I had to install python and scappy (which is why I want to install BT4 instead of running from USB)

modprobe will only work if the module is compiled in the kernel, ie: it has to be done when the kernel is compiled. if you can find a way to insert the kernel module after the kernel is compiled, like in BT4b then you stand a chance on getting wireless working. Monitor mode and injection is another matter.

Personally, unless you want to wait, get an AR5008 if you want 11n.

ath9k is in the kernel already so modprobe works. to go from boot to connection, use:

modprobe ath9k
    /etc/init.d/NetworkManager start
    startx
    then just use the network manager (globe icon near location/battery indicator) to connect

monitor works too (have successfully captured data via airodump-ng), but notice that when airmon-ng is used, it creates a new interface "mon0"...

injection does work, but not otb. The version of ath9k in the kernel isn't sufficient, but if you use the new version from wireless.kernel.org, all is well.

Just burned his ISO

I have an Atheros AR928X Wireless Card as well.

I tried to follow the solution posted here using modprobe ath9k, but I am still unable to connect to my wireless network. Can someone please provide some clearer instructions as to how to get this card working properly in BT4?

So what happened when you followed those instructions? What part was not clear enough?

The version of ath9k in the kernel is a little dated, so maybe that has something to do with it, so once you do have SOME connection, I'd grab the newest version (the download site has a very complete install guide).

So you booted up,
    logged in.
    typed "modprobe ath9k" (after this, try "iwconfig"...do you see wlan0?)
    typed "/etc/init.d/NetworkManager start" (do you get a message *Starting NetworkManager... [OK]?)
    typed startx (hope everything worked there ok)
    now down in the toolbar, near the 1 and 2 window mgmt area, do you see a green globe? if you hover your cursor over it, do you see 'Device:wlan0 Stateisconnected'?
    Now right click the globe, choose new connection>wlan0
    pick your AP, click next
    enter your key
    Connect & Save
    Now has the green globe changed to a signal strength indicator?