Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Going mad trying to get kismet working ...

Default Going mad trying to get kismet working ...

Hi all,

N00b here so please be gentle
    also, I have had a search everywhere for my answer but not been able to find it (or id it ?) but its been close to 5 hours and im about to go mad!

Got backtrack installed

got a broadcom (Dell 1360) wireless card thats in my dell D620 and it should work with BT3 but havent been able to do it so far. I am running kismet but get this error when I run it from konsole:-

mode get loctl failed 95:Operation not supported

I have set the suiduser and source properly I believe (After reading a tonnage of posts).

Also, what I noticed was that after doign a iwconfig, there are no wireless lan cards deteced but i can use the net

I think I need to upgrade the drivers but have no idea how! I am using the bcm43xx source

Can anyone guide me with this please ? totally out of ideas!

I am using vmware btw.

Thanks folks

Quote Originally Posted by nudda View Post
    I think I need to upgrade the drivers but have no idea how! I am using the bcm43xx source
    Please post the exact model of Broadcom chipset you are using, for example BCM4312 or BCM4318. The reason is that some of the models are fully supported out of the box in BT3 whil others require a newer kernel version and the improved b43 driver, a few are also completely unsupported at the moment.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Thanks for replying

The card is a Dell 1390 and the chipset for this translates into a Broadcom BCM4311 (I read that somewhere on the net)

After my post yesterday, I went here broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php and "tried" installing the 32bit driver but have no luck still when I do iwconfig in konsole.

Interestingly, the broadcom device doesnt show in lspci

After my post yesterday, I went here broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php and "tried" installing the 32bit driver but have no luck still when I do iwconfig in konsole.
    This driver only supports managed mode. This means that you will not be able to inject or even put the card into monitor mode, which is required for kismet or the aircrack-ng suite to work.

To get monitor mode I believe that you will need the b43 driver. This driver however requires a newer kernel version that the one in BT3. You could update the kernel version and install this driver, but I suggest that you instead wait for BT4 Beta which will be out in a few days as it will come with a much newer kernel by default.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

That sounds good to me - I will wait for BT4. It would be interesting to know how to update the kernel and drivers though so I might just have a play around with those (for learning sake) in the mean time!

Thanks again

for upgrading and re-compliling kernel you must have good knowledege of hardwares and linux as a little mistake can lead to havoc in your system.for upgrading and recompiling kernel you can read Dr. Green's post.the minimum kernel needed for b43 driver is 2.6.24 & above and bt4 beta would be having 2.6.28 or better.so better to try hands on latest bt development.

Thanks folks!

Ok got bt4 up and running and the kernel is 2.6.28.1

Now, I am not sure how to go about getting the driver installed (or even which driver i should be installing). I realise these are pretty straightfoward tasks but i have searched and could not fidn anything relevant. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks again!

Learn Linux basics before playing around with the FnF tools BT offers. Won't do you any good.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Thanks folks!

Ok got bt4 up and running and the kernel is 2.6.28.1

Now, I am not sure how to go about getting the driver installed (or even which driver i should be installing). I realise these are pretty straightfoward tasks but i have searched and could not fidn anything relevant. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks again!
    Are we supposed to guess what sort of wireless card you're using?
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

I just spent the last hour or so reading the slackware tutorial link from a sticky but that didnt help me!

lol no, the wireless card details are listed above in earlier posts but here it is again :-

The card is a Dell 1390 and the chipset for this translates into a Broadcom BCM4311

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast