Thread: Save files on FAT32 partition when using persistent changes

Just burned his ISO

Default Save files on FAT32 partition when using persistent changes

Often I need to transfer files from Backtrack into Windows (e.g. text files with results). I used to just write a text file onto /mnt/sda1 which is FAT32 formatted.

With persistent changes this filesystem becomes read-only. Is there any way of saving files to it? Windows cannot read ext3 natively and the various tools I tried have trouble with USB drives that have two partitions.

There is a program for windows capable of reading ext2 and ext3 partitions, but not writing to them. I can't remember the name of the app, but a quick google search should reveal something
    [u]HTML Lesson #43[/u]
    [u]The acceptable use of the <blink> tag[/u]

Schrödinger's cat is <blink>not</blink> dead!

I've used the Diskinternals Linux Reader and Ext2 IFS successfully. Both are windows based. The diskinternals tool is read only on ext2/ext3 partition (you can copy files from the linux partition but can't write to it). Ext2 IFS has a read/write capability, and does work on ext3 partitions as well. But read the FAQ for Ext2 IFS before you try it out. There are some instances where things could go south.

Just burned his ISO

Ext2 IFS, Explore2fs and Linux Reader do not work with USB flash drives that have been partitioned. I tested them all and none of them are able to see the second ext2 partition.

Are you not able to copy the files directly to the Windows partition from your BT USB? Reason I ask is that I have a simlar setup (USB, 2 partitions, 1 FAT32 and the other EXT3 for changes). When I run BT3 from USB on a Windows box, my windows partitions are automatically mounted (in my case, as /mnt/sda1 and /mnt/sda5). Both are NTFS and I am able to copy files from /root (for example) to /mnt/sda1 (my C: drive) and when I boot back into Windows, the files are there and readable.

Or are you trying to copy the files to a computer you are not using to boot BT3 with?

Just burned his ISO

The problem is I run BT3 on my laptop, which is encrypted with TrueCrypt.

I have managed to upgrade to the latest TrueCrypt which does support encrypted system volumes, so I can now do it that way. There are dire warnings from TC about random corruption due to an out-of-date kernel though

I'd like to be able to save on to the USB flash drive because in many cases I want to then have the file on another machine, so it would make transporting it a lot less hassle. It looks like the only solution will be to use another flash drive or maybe email the file to myself...

Since I'm using BT3 w/persistent changes on a 2 partition USB, I gave a try copying files to my FAT32 partition that has the /bt3 and /boot directories on it (/mnt/sdb1 in my case). I put that USB into a Windows box and could copy/read/write to/from that partition without any trouble. So unless something with truecrypt is making it read-only, I'm not sure why you can't write to that partition anymore.

I have very little experience with TrueCrypt, so I'm sorry I can't be of more assistance.

Just burned his ISO

You seem to be totally confused.

I can write to the FAT32 partition on the USB flash drive in Windows. When in Backtrack 3, it is mounted read-only.

My main HDD is encrypted with TrueCrypt. After upgrading to TC 6 in Backtrack 3, I could read and write it, but it gives dire warnings about data loss due to an out-of-date kernel.