Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Total Newbie

Just burned his ISO

Default Total Newbie

I am new to Linux, new to BT (any version) and new to pen testing. Just wanted to intro myself.

Name's Jero, I very much enjoy technology, but have recently realized that I don't know nearly enough. So I decided I wanted to learn the trade of pen testing because that way I would learn so much more about the technology I rely on.

So, I stumbled across this with the help of some other netizens and want to learn.

If anyone has any tips/tricks/suggestions, feel free to add them here or PM me.

Do yourself and don't try to learn everything at once.

Start with the basics (Linux). Get an easier to use distro and learn Linux. That won't happen in say a week. Get familar with the entire OS, how to configure stuff and the practical command line tools.

Afterwards start to dig into how networking works.

After you've dug into that and know how that works, you can start to learn about pentesting.

If you just jump into the topic of pentesting because you want to be such a c00l h4x0r, you will miss the point of it and won't be anything more than a script kiddie. It is not about only using what others are feeding to you but that you are also able to develop ideas of your own and pursue them.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jero88 View Post
    If anyone has any tips/tricks/suggestions, feel free to add them here or PM me.

A few good tips:
    1. use the search function hereand of course google.
    2. Take your time and read a lot.
    3. Use this thread or any other relevant thread as opposed to "pm"s so that you can share the info you have learned with other newbies. This will help the entire community.

Good luck and welcome to the forums
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

KMDave, what distro would you suggest as a good place to start?

Kubuntu/Ubuntu are a great place to start esp for newbs. also i would recommend a book called "Gray Hat Hacking: The Ethical Hackers Handbook" it is by far one of the best beginner books ive read.

ps: welcome to the forums hope you enjoy your stay here. just remember, follow the rules, try to contribute if you can, and have fun once you get into it, i can guarantee you will have the time of your life with it :P
    Until they become conscious they will never rebel, and until after they have rebelled they cannot become conscious...

Hi Jero88
    I am new to the forums myself but i have a tip for you as far as linux goes..

it seems there is always more than one way of doing things and just cuz it works this way on Ubuntu it might now work the same exact way on Slax or Debian!

good luck

Just burned his ISO

look up SLackware book, on google, to learn about the backtrack distro

Yup Ubuntu is a great way to start especially since BT4 will be Debian based.

In the beginning forget about all the "cool and shiny" tools BT is offering. If you want to really understand and know what's going on and not to be just running the tools on autopilot and be f**ed if you encounter a problem.
    I know it isn't what you are looking for, but it is really worth to understand and know the OS all the tools are running on.

When you feel quite familar with Linux (pay special attention to the command line, not just clicking your way around ) then start to dig into how networks work with the different layers and so on.
    Once you got that you can start with checking out the tools. You will still have enough to learn but you will have a rough understanding of what's going on.

If you need further help, let me know.

Good luck and welcome aboard
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Quote Originally Posted by KMDave View Post
    Yup Ubuntu is a great way to start especially since BT4 will be Debian based.

In the beginning forget about all the "cool and shiny" tools BT is offering. If you want to really understand and know what's going on and not to be just running the tools on autopilot and be f**ed if you encounter a problem.
    I know it isn't what you are looking for, but it is really worth to understand and know the OS all the tools are running on.

When you feel quite familar with Linux (pay special attention to the command line, not just clicking your way around ) then start to dig into how networks work with the different layers and so on.
    Once you got that you can start with checking out the tools. You will still have enough to learn but you will have a rough understanding of what's going on.

If you need further help, let me know.

Good luck and welcome aboard
    General question. I never really understood what people mean when they say start off with an easier disrtro. I know that linux distros are different in its on way, but what makes such as "ubuntu" so much easier then any other distro? Also you mentioned BackTrack 4 is going to be Debian based so I'm guessing that's what ubuntu is, but what will be some of the differences from BackTrack 3? (If you know).

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kid protocol View Post
    General question. I never really understood what people mean when they say start off with an easier disrtro.
    The main reason for the "start with an easier distro" is due to the fact that so many people will download BT having no idea nor any real interest in reading and learning how to do things. As such it is generally speaking easier for some one who has no knowledge of linux to start with ubuntu.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast