Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting a few old computers for testing. What OS should I put on them?

Just burned his ISO

Default Getting a few old computers for testing. What OS should I put on them?

I will be getting a few computers, and I want to use them on my home network, so that I can study and learn the different tools of BT3. I have a legit copy of xp, 98, and 2000. What else should I put on the computers for testing? And to repeat, they will be on MY network, so I will be breaking into my own stuff. Thanks, and have a good one!

--RonzO

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ronzo View Post
    I will be getting a few computers, and I want to use them on my home network, so that I can study and learn the different tools of BT3. I have a legit copy of xp, 98, and 2000. What else should I put on the computers for testing? And to repeat, they will be on MY network, so I will be breaking into my own stuff. Thanks, and have a good one!

--RonzO
    No need to stress how honest you are it really doesn't work to well with words in today's world. However you might wanna to skip the 98 and go with the xp and 2000. But if you want to go with the 98 then you could always do some sort of dual boot with the xp and save at least one machine for something else.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

You may want to consider Damn Vulnerable Linux to practice your linux exploit fu.

Why don't you get one computer with xp professional and then install microsoft virtual server 2007 and have like 5 virtual computers each having a different os.

Being one of the more popular versions, stick Ubuntu on one.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Default Backtrack 4

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Being one of the more popular versions, stick Ubuntu on one.

backtrack4.blogspot.com/2009/01/backtrack-4-almost-out-of-oven.html

This is going to be based on Ubuntu, if you want to wait.

I think there is a pre-realease version at Shmoocon, before the major release after Shmoocon.

Don't forget to put the hxxp:// before backtrack.

Sweet! I'll have to beg a copy when I'm there.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Yeah thanks for that tip...Didn't even know that blog existed. What kind of a BT nerd am I?

Quote Originally Posted by theberries View Post
    Yeah thanks for that tip...Didn't even know that blog existed. What kind of a BT nerd am I?
    I didn't either... Probably because I haven't really hit the RE web page in over a year.

How about multiple XP versions?

One totally un-updated, one with SP1, one with SP2, and one kept fully up to date?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast