Thread: Bt3+2.6.28.1+EXT4+KernelPanic

Just burned his ISO

Default Bt3+2.6.28.1+EXT4+KernelPanic

Hi all,

i've successfully installed bt3final_usb and upgraded to the newest kernel 2.6.28.1 and everything goes fine thanks to the howto in BT3 HowTo section.
    I've only a problem with EXT4.
    When i've installed the newest iso to disk, i created my / partition as ext4.
    If i try to mount that partition from live cd (mount -t ext4 /dev/sda1 xxxx) everything works fine, but the system can't mount my / ext4 partition on boot so i got

"VFS: cannot open root device UUID="xxx" or unknown block (0,0)
    kernel panic: not syncing: unable to mount root fs on unknown block (0,0)"

/dev/sda1 = boot partition (ext3)
    /dev/sda2 = swap
    /dev/sda3 = / (ext4)

I've installed the latest grub i was able to find (grub-1.96) with the following option:

root=(hd0,1)
    linux /boot/vmlinux root=/dev/sda3 rootfstype=ext4
    i tried to use UUID (blkid to get the UUID of my root partition TYPE=EXT4) without success?

what's wrong?
    am i missing something?

Thanks!

Developer

The real question is why? Why are you going to all this trouble to use a ext4 file system or even a newer kernel for that matter. Generally people that need these type of tweaks know what the are doing so you have to ask your self "why do I need ext4 and is it worth all this trouble just tell people I'm using it?"

Just burned his ISO

You're right, there is no specifical or technical reason for me.
    But my purpose it's not to tell people "hey, i'm 3l33t c0z i'm using ext4!!"
    I was only curious to test this filesystem and understand if and how could be useful for me or my job.
    Yes, i don't have too much experience with this kind of problem, but i don't think to be bad or stupid only because i wanna try ext4 although i wasn't able to resolve my problem.
    Out there, and you know, many people use Backtrack to do worst things without having a real knowledge (or conscience) of what they're doing.
    I was only curious to play a bit with ext4, nothing more