Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kernel Update Help Please?

Default Kernel Update Help Please?

Hi, I have read the sticky on updating kernel, but I get errors on the lzm2dir stage. i have BT3 installed on a hard disk, (dual boot with xp) and I would like to update the kernel. I am currently running 2.6.21.5, and I understand that if I update the kernel to 2.6.28 I should get better hardware support for my Acer Aspire One 150 Netbook. I cannot understand the forum posting 115777 as it doesnt actually seem to have instructions? I am very new to linux, and to be honest find all the different flavours and commands VERY confusing, where is add/remove programs when you need it? and why cant I just double click an exe?

Anyway, can someone please tell me how to update the kernel to 2.6.28?

Quote Originally Posted by digitalfriction View Post
    where is add/remove programs when you need it? and why cant I just double click an exe?
    The add/remove programs is in your Windows installation.

This statement is as retarded as asking "where is my steering wheel" when sitting in a car made in England...

And being in your state of knowledge, updating the kernel would be the most dangerous thing to do

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Hi, I have read the sticky on updating kernel, but I get errors on the lzm2dir stage. i have BT3 installed on a hard disk, (dual boot with xp) and I would like to update the kernel. I am currently running 2.6.21.5, and I understand that if I update the kernel to 2.6.28 I should get better hardware support for my Acer Aspire One 150 Netbook. I cannot understand the forum posting 115777 as it doesnt actually seem to have instructions? I am very new to linux, and to be honest find all the different flavours and commands VERY confusing, where is add/remove programs when you need it? and why cant I just double click an exe?

Upgrading your kernel is probably the very last thing you should be doing based upon that statement.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by gromeo View Post
    The add/remove programs is in your Windows installation.

This statement is as retarded as asking "where is my steering wheel" when sitting in a car made in England...

And being in your state of knowledge, updating the kernel would be the most dangerous thing to do
    My comment was a rhetorical "thinking out loud", Im pretty sure after 15 years of working in IT, MCSE, A+, CCNA, and Hons Degree, and now running my own IT company I know that add/remove programs is in windows. As a senior member, your attitude to new people in the newbie area is wonderful. If you cant help on the subject I was asking about, please don't post.

Where are the moderators???

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Upgrading your kernel is probably the very last thing you should be doing based upon that statement.
    Is this really the level of help that is being provided? For someone moving from a windows environment, linux does have a LOT of flavours, and a LOT of commands. Its an observation. I have asked how to perform a specific task, can I upgrade the kernel on an installation that is on a fixed hard disk, and can you HELP me by pointing me to the relevant information?

Ok they all don't wanted to insult you.all they want to signify that playing with kernel with the level of your knowledge is dangerous and can lead to misbehaving hadwares or losing of hardware functionalities since kernel is core of any operating system and deals with hardwares.I would like recommend you to start hand-on training on SOHO linux like fedora core or ubuntu as backtrack 3 expects good knowledge on slackware and pen-testing tools/methodologies.

All I want to do is use BT3 for some network security testing, which I have been doing fine using a live cd for a few months. I have now bought a dedicated machine, an Acer Aspire One 150, nice and portable so I can take to various client sites fro testing. So I want the BT3 installation to be on the HDD, which I have done. The only issue I have is that the screen resolution is wrong(running VESA) and some extra hardware is not installed (sound, webcam etc) this is not essential, but I have been told that updating the kernel would be the first step in resolving the issues. So I have read the 2 posts regarding the new kernel for USB, and for CD, but neither of them explain how to actually apply the new kernel, they provide a tarball to download, do I integrate this into the LiveCD iso somehow, do I have to boot into BT3 first and do some steps from there?

Surely I am asking something that a lot of people who just use the live cd will want to do, I want to update the kernel on a product I am using, why cant someone just help, the system doesnt matter, there is no risk of data loss, if it all crashes and cant be fixed, I will reimage the machine back to how it is now.

Im sorry, I just thought asking for help, as a newbie, on a newbie help forum, was the best way to go !

Just burned his ISO

By reading previous posts, I would suggest against that, since you're a linux noob as you said.. I started working in backtrack about half a year ago, and I also had a lot of problems, also with the screen resolution because i'm only able to run in VESA mode, I had some other problems which I mostly solved, but what I wanted to say is that one of the first things I tried to do to solve this problems, was updating the kernel, bad idea I can tell you that let's just say that story didn't had a happy ending...

All I want to do is use BT3 for some network security testing, which I have been doing fine using a live cd for a few months. I have now bought a dedicated machine, an Acer Aspire One 150, nice and portable so I can take to various client sites fro testing. So I want the BT3 installation to be on the HDD, which I have done. The only issue I have is that the screen resolution is wrong(running VESA) and some extra hardware is not installed (sound, webcam etc) this is not essential, but I have been told that updating the kernel would be the first step in resolving the issues. So I have read the 2 posts regarding the new kernel for USB, and for CD, but neither of them explain how to actually apply the new kernel, they provide a tarball to download, do I integrate this into the LiveCD iso somehow, do I have to boot into BT3 first and do some steps from there?

Surely I am asking something that a lot of people who just use the live cd will want to do, I want to update the kernel on a product I am using, why cant someone just help, the system doesnt matter, there is no risk of data loss, if it all crashes and cant be fixed, I will reimage the machine back to how it is now.

Im sorry, I just thought asking for help, as a newbie, on a newbie help forum, was the best way to go !
    Have you read THIS and THIS? If you can follow instructions you should be fine.

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Default Re

digitalfriction,
    I would highly recomend if you want to update a kernel go with full install of slackware or another distro for your first time as it can be a little forgiving. When updating kernels, you can make it very selective toward your machine and hardware your using, and that can clean out the crap that gets installed when using a base install since its trying to support multable devices and such.

If you wanting to use backtrack and a newer kernel, i would highly recomend going with their tutorial here. Its not only something your trying to do, but relitivly full proof.

Saying for insence, the issue im working on. I have backtrack 3 installed HD, and kernel 2.6.28.2, and having the B***H of a time trying to get libnl to work. Not only that your cant install libnl.lzm off the site because to BT3 has a older version of lzm2dir.

save your self the head ack, and go will full proof. Though if you are wanting to still update the kernel of backtrack, and not the other way shown, i can help you via email or chat and would be happy to due so.

slackbasics.org/html/kernel.html

There is very good tutorial about upgrading kernel.. you have to patient, I spent two days on upgrading kernel when I was doing this first time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast