Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wep Encrytpion Trouble

Just burned his ISO

Default Wep Encrytpion Trouble

Hey guys, I managed to do my first Wep crack. I had my friend put in a random wep password on my router. I get the following key after performing the "hacking"

00:13:f7:bf:66:86:00:00:00:00:00:00:00

When in linux, I can connect to the network and browse fine.

However, in windows (I play some games that are only available on windows so that's the only reason I use it) I can not connect to the network using the password above.

Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by rosscoloco View Post
    Hey guys, I managed to do my first Wep crack. I had my friend put in a random wep password on my router. I get the following key after performing the "hacking"

However, in windows (I play some games that are only available on windows so that's the only reason I use it) I can not connect to the network using the password above.

Any suggestions?
    I hope this is your router...anyway, the zeros within that key are zeros for a reason.

Try this key in your Windows system:
    0013f7bf6686

Very good friend of the forum killadaninja's Avatar

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by rosscoloco View Post

Any suggestions?
    1. Type 192.168.1.1 into your browser enter your admin details, change your key. Fair enough you might have forgotten you admin details but just ring your friend has he MUST have it as he needed it to change your key remember]

2. If your friend has died and only he knew the admin details, then just factory reset your router (little button, hold it in)

3. Play your windows only games using your own router
    Sometimes I try to fit a 16-character string into an 8–byte space, on purpose.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for the suggestions guys. This is my router - this was just a test. I have the admin pass and changed it it's not a big deal.

I just didn't understand why I could use the key in linux and not in windows.

Quote Originally Posted by killadaninja View Post
    1. Type 192.168.1.1 into your browser enter your admin details, change your key. Fair enough you might have forgotten you admin details but just ring your friend has he MUST have it as he needed it to change your key remember]

2. If your friend has died and only he knew the admin details, then just factory reset your router (little button, hold it in)

3. Play your windows only games using your own router
    In windows, I can not even connect to the router. In linux, I could log in and change it. This is my own router :P I'm online now - proof enough for you? lol

Yes the fact that your online must be substantial proof that its your router. Lmao

did you put the key in with the ':' inbetween every 2 characters? cuz that would be your problem
    This is a hackers forum :P
    root ~# aircrack-ng pwnd-01.cap
    Lenovo Thinkpad R500, OS: Ubuntu 8.10, BackTrack3, Windows XP (VirtualBox), Windows Vista, Windows 7 beta

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by killadaninja View Post
    Yes the fact that your online must be substantial proof that its your router. Lmao
    If I'm connected to the router at all, I'm either in Linux, or I reset the wep code on my router - to WPA because that's what I normally use - I was just messing around with l33t h4x. lol sorry you're so suspicious.

Looks like my simple question is hard to answer:

I tried 0013f7bf6686 AND 0013f7bf668600000000000000 AND 00013f7bf6686 AND 0013f7bf66860

We did this with 128 bit encryption, by the way. Once again, simply entering 00:13:f7:bf:66:86:00:00:00:00:00:00:00 in worked in Linux, but will not work in Windows.

Very good friend of the forum TAPE's Avatar

Just wondering..

Are you using the windows wireless utility to log into your router or are you using 3rd party
    software which came with your adapter ?

Usually the software that comes with your adapter is going to ask you for a passphrase and not the key
    (at least that is my experience with them)

If you try logging in with the built in windows wireless utility (assuming u have XP) then I believe you will
    be able to enter the key as you have it (without colons).

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

I believe you have stumbled across one of the new security measures in MS Windows: They have disabled the internet. For decades, the internet was a massive security hole in Microsoft's line of operating systems, so they've closed it once and for all. The decision has garnered mixed reviews.
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Quote Originally Posted by Virchanza View Post
    I believe you have stumbled across one of the new security measures in MS Windows: They have disabled the internet. For decades, the internet was a massive security hole in Microsoft's line of operating systems, so they've closed it once and for all. The decision has garnered mixed reviews.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, personally, I would have built internet connectivity into Vista but, I trust them clever guys at microsoft know what their doing.
    Okay it is probably 1 of 2 things,

1. You are using a 3rd party wifi assistant (like Tape mentioned), this does not support inputting a hex key in Vista,go to START>CONNECT TO , choose your connection , go into the settings, choose use windows to manage this connection, now for that connection Choose WEP and then choose SHARED KEY type in the hex key without colons.

2. The firmware in your router was not made to accept hex keys from vista, update your routers firmware

You may have to do both of these steps, or just one, also first of all perhaps (if you are trying to use a 3rd party assistant) try updating the drivers for the software

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast