Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hackerz need jobs, too

Default Hackerz need jobs, too

I haven't seen a thread lately about the job situation. With all the "big" company lay-offs in the news, what's an "open source" guy supposed to do?

http://www.google.com/search?q=goolg...ient=firefox-a

I've been keeping my bills paid. A little data/com here, a little penetration there, the occasional nail being pounded, or wire being run. What's everyone else been doing, except working for the state.

Bitch here:

Quote Originally Posted by ghaze View Post
    I haven't seen a thread lately about the job situation. With all the "big" company lay-offs in the news, what's an "open source" guy supposed to do?

http://www.google.com/search?q=goolg...ient=firefox-a

I've been keeping my bills paid. A little data/com here, a little penetration there, the occasional nail being pounded, or wire being run. What's everyone else been doing, except working for the state.

Bitch here:
    Working for the government is not a bad idea. The government sector is still growing, and is generally immune to economic bad times.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by theprez98 View Post
    Working for the government is not a bad idea. The government sector is still growing, and is generally immune to economic bad times.
    I agree with Prez here. Government jobs whether Federal, State or Local are good. The pay is generally good, and the benefits are excellent.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Developer

Speaking of goverment jobs.... I was just curious from some of the people that have held such positions does a criminal record disqualify you immediately from those type of jobs or are they fair and actually take into consideration some of the factors like, severity of crime , how old it is or any of those sort of things. I'm wondering because I met some one recently who was a cissp and said he did goverment contracting and he also said he had multiple felony convictions for minor drug stuff on his record from his college years. I'm just curious how that works. I know there are some "hacker types" that may have very old computer related crimes from when they were just starting out and the lines of the law were blurry. Do these type people have a chance in the IT world?

I'm just trying to make a interesting topic

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    Speaking of goverment jobs.... I was just curious from some of the people that have held such positions does a criminal record disqualify you immediately from those type of jobs or are they fair and actually take into consideration some of the factors like, severity of crime , how old it is or any of those sort of things. I'm wondering because I met some one recently who was a cissp and said he did goverment contracting and he also said he had multiple felony convictions for minor drug stuff on his record from his college years. I'm just curious how that works. I know there are some "hacker types" that may have very old computer related crimes from when they were just starting out and the lines of the law were blurry. Do these type people have a chance in the IT world?

I think it depends upon who you're working for, and how anal the HR department is. Keep in mind all HR departments are anal, just some are more so than others.

Most places are doing a criminal background check, not just for government jobs. They do take into account for the things you mentioned. I don't think you'll get hired as an accountant if you've been convicted of armed robbery and things like that.

Hell, look around some people that hold some of the highest positions of power are criminals.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Well that all depends if he holds a clearace or what type of clearance he holds. Like if you were getting investigated for a Top Secret clearance, they would dig in 10 years back so I am thinking that if it happened before that, then it could be waved.

Quote Originally Posted by carboncopy View Post
    Well that all depends if he holds a clearace or what type of clearance he holds. Like if you were getting investigated for a Top Secret clearance, they would dig in 10 years back so I am thinking that if it happened before that, then it could be waved.
    10 years or to age 16 I believe, but it might be 18.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    10 years or to age 16 I believe, but it might be 18.
    You are correct, age of 16. But the age of 16 thing is for people let's say they are 20yo. They are not going to look 10 years back when you were 10yo, so that's why they set that limit.

Developer

Cool. Thanks for the replies however when you say background check I thought you had to disclose a felony no matter what even if it was over 10 years ago? It does seem to me though That I know a lot of people with felony convictions so either I'm hanging with the wrong crowd or the Court system is handing out felonies more frequently than they used to. I'm interested mostly because theres a few people with felonys at my school trying to clean their life up and such and get a real job and I was just wondering what their chances were? Plus I'm bored and needed a interesting topic

Cool. Thanks for the replies However when you say background check I thought you had to disclose a felony no matter what even if it was over 10 years ago? It does seem to me though That I know a lot of people with felony convictions so either I'm hanging with the wrong crowd or the Court system is handing out felonies more frequently than they used to. I'm interested mostly because theres a few people with felony at my school trying to clean their life up and such and get a real job and I was just wondering what their chances were? Plus I'm bored and needed a interesting topic
    You are SUPPOSED to disclose them, but there's this thing that people do, I think it's called lying, thus the background checks.

As I said in another thread. The background check by some government agencies will make an alien anal probe seem friendly.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast