Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't choose between 2 cards (Birthday present)

Just burned his ISO

Default Can't choose between 2 cards (Birthday present)

It's my Birthday again soon So I get presents
    My question is, which card (set) sould I ask for my Birthday ?

This set: EDIMAX EW-7318USg with a 12 dBi Panel Antenna ?
    hxxp://cgi.ebay.de/WARDRIVING-antenna-12dBi-POWER-EDIMAX-54Mbps-RT73_W0QQitemZ370123720059QQihZ024QQcategoryZ91357 QQcmdZViewItem

Or this card: USB 2.0 R-SMA +5dBi 100mW RTL8187L
    hxxp://cgi.ebay.de/USB-2-0-R-SMA-5dBi-100mW-RTL8187L-BACKTRACK3-AIRCRACK_W0QQitemZ370141853105QQihZ024QQcategoryZ6 1816QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262
    (I need to buy the 12dBi seperatly with this one)

The prices are almost the same, so that's no problem

It's important for me that the card works right out of the box (I use BackTrack 3)

Thanks in advance !

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for the reply, gromeo. That's one seems quite expensive, a bit out of the budget
    Please have a look please at the eBay links I provided in my post

Thanks !

Good friend of the forums

I have a EDIMAX EW-7318USg and as long as you use the updated drivers it works great in BT3 final. It worked great out of the box in the BT3 beta, but for the final version you really want to update the drivers to the latest version and there are plenty of how tos that describe how to do that.

I don't have the 12db antenna, I use the rubber ducky that came with it.
    I like the bleeding edge, but I don't like blood loss

if you don't wanna mess with drivers, get the alfa awus036h. I got that, it's pretty strong one.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for the replies

@bofh28: Okay, thanks for the input. I noted it down and will take it into consideration

@gromeo: Thanks again for replying. The Alfa is high praised in the community I heard I see that the Alfa awus036h uses the same chipset (Realtek RTL8187L) as this one:
    hxxp://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370141853105
    Does this also mean that I don't need to mess with drivers if I buy that one ? Same chipset... The only difference is the mW. Alfa = 500 mW, that one is 100 mW.

Thanks in advance !!

I vote for Alfa too. It works out of the box on BT3, but you may want to upgrade the drivers to enable the highpower mode.
    I have the card in me head, but you have the memory problems?

Quote Originally Posted by xCPPx View Post
    I vote for Alfa too. It works out of the box on BT3, but you may want to upgrade the drivers to enable the highpower mode.
    As far as I can remember the highpower mode is supported with the stock r8187 driver in BT3F. By the way the Alfa gets my vote as well.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for the reply ! I know the Alfa is a great card, but I would like to keep the budget below 50 euro's, including the 12 dBi antenna. Sadly, the Alfa go's over that budget by 15-20 euro's.

Anyway, I read in =Tron='s post that there is a "stock r8187 driver in BT3F". This means it will support all cards with a R8187 chipset, right ? That means, that this one should also be supported right out of the box ?

Thnx

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by CptSlow View Post
    Thanks for the reply ! I know the Alfa is a great card, but I would like to keep the budget below 50 euro's, including the 12 dBi antenna. Sadly, the Alfa go's over that budget by 15-20 euro's.

Anyway, I read in =Tron='s post that there is a "stock r8187 driver in BT3F". This means it will support all cards with a R8187 chipset, right ? That means, that this one should also be supported right out of the box ?

Thnx
    imho, take advantage of the 1.33 to 1 eu/usd exchange rate. the alfa is a solid adapter. you can always upgrade the stock antenna later, or tin foil mcguyver it to gain dbi.

getting stuck with a 100mw adapter instead of a known *working* 500mw alfa over a mere few dollars/euros is not the route i'd choose. the stock 9dbi antenna that ships with the alfa from data-alliance "should" be all you need for working on your own network, and you can always just upgrade it later when you have the extra money to do so.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast