Dlink DWA-110 & VMware Workstation 7 & BT4 final
I'm stating that I'm new to Linux but I've a good background in the computer fields and fairly used to command lines; beside the commands that are different I don't find Linux intimidating I'll probably enjoy it when I'll get used to it.
Now with that said right down to my issue.
I try to "link" the USB DWA-110 Wireless adapter to my VMWARE workstation but after 1-2 minnutes I'Ve got this error message:
The connection for the USB device "D-Link ... (my usb network card)" was unsuccessful.
The VMware USB Arbitrator returned error code 4.
On a other forum I use to go they send me this link, post #5 seem to have fixed a lot of similar issues.
Win Xp, Vmware Server Console And Usb Support - Ubuntu Forums
Here the message:
There's more to it than what you have done so far. You must uncomment four lines in that file, as you have already done:
gksudo gedit /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.shUncomment 42-45 lines starting with #mkdir -p /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs
mkdir -p /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs
domount usbfs "" /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs -obusmode=0700,devmode=0600,listmode=0644
ln -s .usbfs/devices /dev/bus/usb/devices
mount --rbind /dev/bus/usb /proc/bus/usbYou may wish to add this as a line in your fstab file:
usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs auto 0 0Some have found this necessary for USB drives, likely a race issue.
Reboot and you should see your USB devices in VMware's Removable Devices menu.
1 issue is that I don't see any of the codes line in the mentioned file (in BT4 final).
Do someone has a way to fix the issue or idea to try.
NB: I've manage to compile driver for the usb network card.
Got some good news,
I've isolated further the source of the issue, it seem that it's either Windows 7 and/or VMware 7.0 that is the issue (didn't try the newest 7.1 version yet).
I've been able to attach the my USB network card without issue, in fact the VM took it without me asking to do it, under XP Pro SP3 + VMware Workstation 6.5.
I'll try to isolate further the issue today, but if I read correctly what is written in VMware community forum it could be VMware Workstation / Player 7.0 that is the issue (maybe it's fix in 7.1).
Ok now that's weird... it work now.
What I did is
1- Changed of computer and tried with Win XP + VMware Workstation 6.5 + Same VM image = Worked
2- Reboot my test computer used my Windows XP partition, tried the VM (Workstation 7) using the same VM image that I used; it worked fine...
After I've rebooted back into my W7 64 bits and try again... for some unknown reason it worked now.... Windows finally accepted to add my card as a VM device....
I hope this could help someone else.