Boot menu gone
I run BT4 and Windows XP on my laptop. I had to reinstall windows, but now the Boot Menu is missing and I don't know how to get back to BT4. I tried using google and using the forum search, but I guess I'm not using the correct terminology because nothing is helping. Thanks for you help guys.
I had this problem as well when I installed windows 7.
You need to reinstall grub and it should autodetect your partitions - you can then modify these to your needs. The grub config is located in /boot/grub/grub.conf
The following guide may provide you with what you need...google #1:
Ok so I guess its kinda 101 that the "grub" is the name of the boot menu that was missing. After learning that there was a lot of information on google to help me fix the issue. Thanks Handheld. Here is what I did.
1. Insert BackTrack DVD
2. Run "grub" command
3. Run "find /sbin/init" command
4. It showed that (hd0,5) had Backtrack installed on it. Yours may be different!
5. Run "root (hd0,5)" command
6. Run "setup (hd0)" command
7. It ran some checks to ensure the correct files were there.
8. Run "quit" command
9. Run "reboot" command
10. Take out dvd and you're done.