BT4 and BT3 USB dual boot !
Sorry for this question ... but am facing a problem on configuring my 100GB removable usb HD to boot both BT4 and BT3.
i have made two partitions "one for each" then i have copied the files to each partition but i faild to configure them for dual boot
please i need some help to enable grub dual boot for both
USB HD Dual boot - BT3 and BT4
Yes, i have succeeded ...
i will explain it for others ...
- create your BT4 partition and install BT4 normally (check: offensive-security.com/videos/backtrack-usb-install-video/backtrack-usb-install.html)
- BT3 folder from your BT3 CD
- copy the "boot" folder to any location on your PC to make some changes on it
- rename the following files in your local copied folder:
- rename vmlinuz to vmlinuz-bt3
- rename initrd.gz to initrd-bt3.gz
- copy the all the files from the copied folder to your USB under "boot" folder
- log into BT4 normally from your USB (after installation)
- mount your BT4 partition:
- mkdir /mnt/sdb1
- mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1/
- Edit menu.lst:
- nano /mnt/sdb1/boot/grub/menu.lst
- add the following lines:
title BT3 text (you can use startx to log into kde)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-bt3 vga=0x317 root=/dev/ram0 rw autoexec=xconf;kdm max_loop=255 load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0 ramdisk_size=6666 init=linuxrc
That's all :)
i hope it help others ...