PDA

View Full Version : Is it illegal to port scan computers ?

imported_capron
04-11-2008, 09:07 PM
I wood like to know if is is illegal to run nmap on computers around
the world? I am sure that it will bee show up in detection system and
guess that the ISP will not like it that much. But the question is if it is illegal or not.

Belive a nessus scan default config use more advanced techniques that makes it illigal too run on computers with no permission.

/ capron

streaker69
04-11-2008, 09:13 PM
guess that the ISP will not like it that much. But the question is if it is illegal or not.

Belive a nessus scan default config use more advanced techniques that makes it illigal too run on computers with no permission.

/ capron

While there may not be a law directly addressing portscan/reconnaissance activities. It is generally forbidden by the your ISP's TOS/AUP. There are a growing number of bastards like myself that take great delight in finding people doing such activities and reporting them to their respective ISP's and having their accounts canceled for doing it.

Basically, you have no good reason to be conducting portscans against networks that you are not authorized to do so.

hhmatt
04-11-2008, 09:13 PM

/ capron

I would say no, but if its against your ISP's TOS you may find yourself looking for a new ISP.

P.S. Try and use a spell checker next time.

Archangel-Amael
04-11-2008, 09:21 PM
There are a growing number of bastards like myself that take great delight in finding people doing such activities and reporting them to their respective ISP's and having their accounts canceled for doing it.
I don't know about bastards. Delighting yes .:D

Not to mention any decent IDS and/or firewall will probably drop the packets.

imported_capron
04-11-2008, 11:36 PM
Thanks all now I know how it is.

I will try too join the club of growing basters. Start out with installing
snort and look if there are any portscans on me.

/ capron

imported___CG__
04-12-2008, 02:33 AM
the world?

/ capron

not against countries that the US doesn't extradite to