PDA

View Full Version : John the Ripper with GPU Nvidea 8800GTX?

termito
09-17-2012, 04:15 AM
Can any tell me how can I use Nvidea 8800GTX on BT5R3 and use John the Ripper to Bruteforce Linux passwd.
I know to use John the Ripper without GPU, now I buy GTX 8800 and what must I do to use GPU?
Thanks

maverik35
09-17-2012, 10:41 AM
Well, as far as I know, the script must be written to work with other processors in parallel, like a GPU, I know softwares that can use GPUs to crack passwds, but I belive the JTR is not one of them.

If you want to bruteforce a linux password, why don't you just change it, there are methods to do so in linux, even the root pasword...

Luck...

termito
09-19-2012, 04:10 AM
Hi,
JTR support GPU -> http://openwall.info/wiki/john/GPU.
I have a shadowfile with over 100 users and I like to crack this in fastest mode, so I installed NVDIA 8800 GTX with CUDA.
I heard from hashcat these use CUDA. Can any tell me how to use it on backtrack 5 or can I use Pyrit to crack shadowfile?
Thanks

hausoo
09-19-2012, 03:42 PM
hello use this nix/win 32/64 http://hashcat.net/hashcat-gui/

termito
09-22-2012, 02:15 AM
Thanks,
how can I use Brutoforce a linux shadowfile. I dont know the passwordlength and if there include letters or numbers.
With mask I must tell hashcat ?u?l?l.. and so on, this is to complex. I will BruteForce without special mask, can I do this with hashcat? JR can this but slow cause CPU.

sickness
09-23-2012, 12:24 PM
Termito,

How comes you don't know the password length of any other details about the password ? Where did you get the hash from ?
Please leave the person respond :)

termito
09-23-2012, 02:41 PM
Hi sickness,
I have an old Server in my work and is not used. I have root account. But I like crack all passwords of old users in shortly time. JTR cracked over 25 Password in 5 hours, but Ist slow, then I like use with CUDA. JTR jumbo use GPU? but I used the Windowsversion and GPU is 0% must I patch JTR or how can I use hashcat like JTR with Bruteforce?

sickness
09-23-2012, 08:38 PM
I would recommend you use Hashcat and also look on their main website, they have good tutorials on how to use it. Google can help here also.