PDA

View Full Version : ALFA AWUS036NHR - chip RTL8188RU - compat-wireless driver rtl8192cu

manzamanna
10-06-2011, 09:42 AM
--- BT5r1 Gnome 32bit fresh install:
--- upgarde:

apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade
apt-get autoremove
--- prepare kernel sources:

prepare-kernel-sources
cd /usr/src/linux
cp -rf include/generated/* include/linux/
ln -s /usr/src/linux /lib/modules/2.6.39.4/build
apt-get install linux-headers
ln -s /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.39.4/Module.symvers /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.39.4/Module.symvers
--- buil and install drivers:

cd /usr/src/
wget http://linuxwireless.org/download/compat-wireless-2.6/compat-wireless-2011-10-06.tar.bz2
tar jxpf compat-wireless-2011-10-06.tar.bz2
wget http://www.backtrack-linux.org/2.6.39.patches.tar
tar xpf 2.6.39.patches.tar
cd compat-wireless-2011-10-06
patch -p1 < ../patches/mac80211-2.6.29-fix-tx-ctl-no-ack-retry-count.patch
patch -p1 < ../patches/mac80211.compat08082009.wl_frag+ack_v1.patch
patch -p1 < ../patches/zd1211rw-2.6.28.patch
patch -p1 < ../patches/ipw2200-inject.2.6.36.patch
make
make install
-- I don't want udev persistent rules on my cards...

mv /lib/udev/write_net_rules ~
mv /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules ~
-- unplug AWUS036NHR and any other if present

reboot
-- test it: (I have two wlan, wlan1 is ALFA AWUS036NHR, wlan0 is the one I'll use to determine which attacks it supports)

iwconfig
-- plug AWUS036NHR

iwconfig
airmon-ng check kill
airmon-ng start wlan0
airmon-ng start wlan1 (just to be shure it works even in monitor mode)
aireplay-ng -9 -i mon0 wlan1
--I get:
Trying broadcast probe requests...
No Answer...
Found 0 APs

Trying card-to-card injection...
Attack -0: OK
Attack -1 (open): OK
Attack -1 (psk): OK
Attack -2/-3/-4/-6: OK
Attack -5/-7: OK
Injection is working!

Enjoy

note: I've edited with latest compat-wireless version and added linux-headers with a link to Module.symvers, it was needed:

WARNING: Symbol version dump /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.39.4/Module.symvers
is missing; modules will have no dependencies and modversions.

feel free to check if it is ok

note2: After this upgrade, "FRITZ!WLAN USB STICK N", (based on Atheros AR9170 Chipset, using carl9170 driver) stop load his firmware. So.. download newer "carl9170-1.fw" (now is 1.9.4) from here http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/carl9170 in "/lib/firmware" and it will load

mohab1220
10-08-2011, 07:26 PM
It is working with Kde backtrack 5 rc1 fine now thank you

but still some software is not working like
Gerix wifi crack
the problem when you start sniffing using airodump
in finding clients is not working probable for Gerix but if you do it manually is fine

pseudojerk
10-12-2011, 11:35 AM
Thanks for such a great post. my alfa is working fine in monitor mode. it just that whenever i try to connect to any connection it keeps on giving me bad password.any idea?

and any of u tried to change the tx-power?
thanks

Darxis
10-13-2011, 04:54 PM
#include<beer.h> for the author! Works like a charm on BT 5 GNOME x64
But do anyone know how to resolve the login and th-power problem?

sasanet
10-14-2011, 05:38 PM
hi
ALFA AWUS036NHR chipset RTL8188RU will not work properly with rtl8192cu driver.

I have same card as u do but *cu chipset and it work's just fine except it lock's down to fixed channel -1
however this is solved by iw tool seting a fixed channel and other parameters.

ALFA AWUS036NHR is the newest alfa card type and it will take some time until we got stable driver as for ALFA AWUS036NH (which is the best IMO)
you may check for newest compat drivers from this site:

http://linuxwireless.org/download/compat-wireless-2.6/
this release on the top is newer than your above.
just CHECK THE DATES!

good luck.

escugs
10-15-2011, 09:07 AM
thanks for the tutorial.

but i have some problem when i start mon mod i get that my card is always on channal -1.

is there anyway to fix that.

sasanet
10-16-2011, 01:45 AM
escugs,
first make shore u download and install compat-wireless drivers.
then reboot your machine...
then run commands as follows:

ifconfig wlan1 down
iw dev wlan1 set channel 4
ifup wlan1
airmon-ng start wlan1
airodump-ng --ignore-negative-one mon0

just replace values "wlan1" and "4" with your's
now u shall be able to capture packets on channel 4
probably will still showing u that interface is locked down to fixed channel -1 but it will be actually on channel 4 or which one you specify!
if u don't have iw tool download it from linux-wireless.

cheers mate.

webpage1111
10-17-2011, 03:38 AM
Okay, I'm kind of a noob. But this will work with cracking wpa/wpa2-psk or do I stand corrected?

pattang
10-24-2011, 12:14 PM
Done all the above.
Loaded up, in Network manger could see plenty of access points but when tried to connect to my regular connection it just hung for long time.
rebooted.
Tried airmong-ng stop wlan0
hung again for long time, again give up.
Used the latest compact driver.
Also this adapter in Windows 7 sucks, it picks up more access points and shows stronger signals but its throughput is rubbish.
I still end up using my old TL-WN821N which has more solid throughput.

manzamanna
10-27-2011, 03:43 PM
Compat-wireless drivers are not stable for this chip, If you need to connect APs you can use Realtek's one you can find here:
http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=21&PFid=48&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false (chip RTL8188RU)
Realtek's drivers does not support monitor mode and injection, so I still prefer compat-wireless.

nabodix
10-29-2011, 10:54 AM
ALFA AWUS036NHR is the newest alfa card type and it will take some time until we got stable driver as for ALFA AWUS036NH (which is the best IMO)

Hi! I was just wondering: what --in your opinion-- is "some time"? A few month or a few years?

Because I realy want to buy the ALFA AWUS036NHR, but if it can not show associated clients, or can't inject, it's not realy helpfull :S

If I'm not bying the ALFA AWUS036NHR, I was planing on bying the ALFA AWUS036NHA. But your are talking about the AWUS036NH.. Since they are very much akike, with one is better for linux ? (the AWUS036NH with a Ralink 3070 chipset or an AWUS036NHA with an Atheros AR9271 chipset ?)

Thank you so much !!
and sorry for my poor english.. I did my best ;)

PS: if someone knows a better/affordable card than those; i'm interested too ^^

webpage1111
10-30-2011, 08:58 PM
Do you guys know if they are working on drivers for this chipset? I bought the card but I can't seem to get a handshake on my AP. I tried this update and I can no longer see my adapter in backtrack 5 r1 x64 gnome.

imike
11-07-2011, 11:52 AM
Does this work also on the virtual machine (vmware) ?

tplaya07
11-22-2011, 02:50 PM
Does this work also on the virtual machine (vmware) ?

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm running Win7 with VMware and BT5. I emailed Alfa about whether or not they planned on developing drivers for this scenario, and they actually replied by pointing me to this thread...lol. I replied and asked them again whether or not they are working on drivers to support BT5 within VMWare that support injection and monitor mode, and to please let me know so I know whether or not to return this product.

It might not be a bad idea for others to email/chat with Alfa for the same request. It may light a fire under their **** to get things moving for their latest and greatest adapter.

I'll post back when I get their reply.

Edit: Well, I got a reply back from Alfa basically just blowing me off and saying that they are not allowed to discuss how to use this device as a security tool. (I asked if/when they would have drivers for Backtrack that supported injection and monitor mode)

Datakuss
11-30-2011, 10:34 PM
how can I awus036nhr with compat-wireless driver rtl8192cu the channel 1 - Set X? I've already tried several things without success. Have no idea of ​​the degree

tolga3589
12-04-2011, 12:06 AM
I have, but what's listed here apply ALFA AWUS036NHR gerix stable wifi does not work sometimes when it does not work out a patch for the stable? Can you guess I do not know much more than English narration KIIS victim in this regard with Video :(

nitchimon
12-28-2011, 04:21 PM
First off, THANK YOU for the hard work and detailed instructions on this. Knowing this is a temporary fix until more compatible drivers are available is a help in the long run.

I ran into a problem though. The laptop I use has a Broadcom card internal for wireless connections, the AWUS036NHR for USB external and I can hook another RT81XX mini usb stick if needed.

The instructs had both RT8XXX devices running but killed the Broadcom. Bluetooth works, but not the Broadcom.

any ideas on getting the broadcom back up and running ?

Thanks!!

Nitch

Update: 2011-12-29

I downloaded the correct driver from Broadcom and built these based upon the instructions and drivers at : http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php

Now that the Broadcom diver is working and connecting, I am finding that the AWUS036NHR can work but not connect to any APs... arrrg!!! I can use certain tools yet for normal internet connectivity, nothing.

ideas ?

matt1711
01-01-2012, 08:00 AM
This alfa card has the potential to be very very good. However at the minute i see it as crap! No support! dont waste ya cash!

obelix99
01-07-2012, 04:58 PM
Hello,

I've an ALFA AWUS036NHR card and Backtrack 5R1. I've followed all the instructions of manzamanna below and now seems all ok.
I can monitor, inject etc...

But ! there is only one issue:

When I run airodump-ng mon0 for example it don't show any client associations. But in my lab test there is 1 wifi laptop connected with my AP and airodump don't show me any association.

I can successfull deauth in broadcast etc....

Any suggest with airodump ?

Thanks

--- upgarde:

apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade
apt-get autoremove

prepare-kernel-sources
cd /usr/src/linux
ln -s /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.39.4/Module.symvers /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.39.4/Module.symvers

cd /usr/src/
wget http://linuxwireless.org/download/compat-wireless-2.6/compat-wireless-2011-10-06.tar.bz2
make
make install

reboot
-- test it: (I have two wlan, wlan1 is ALFA AWUS036NHR, wlan0 is the one I'll use to determine which attacks it supports)

iwconfig
-- plug AWUS036NHR

iwconfig
airmon-ng check kill
airmon-ng start wlan0
--I get:
No Answer...
Found 0 APs

Injection is working!

Enjoy

tortuga
02-14-2012, 01:20 AM
I'm considering buying this card over the other older ALFA cards, as it would be nice to have a card with great range for both g and n networks, but I haven't found any more progress being made on support for this chipset. Has anyone gotten full functionality with this card, or know if the latest compat-wireless drivers (or any others) provide it?

manzamanna
02-16-2012, 10:30 AM
hi tortuga, if you are considering to buy this one, I would suggest you AWUS036H.
I have it both, AWUS036H is still the best choice, but no N support.
I have the same problem obelix99 has, but I use AWUS036NHR only for inject (when I need more power) and AWUS036H for dump.
I will try latest compat-wireless asap (...too busy these days) and let you know

tolga3589
02-18-2012, 12:33 PM
I wonder when that will be corrected this problem? Who will take care of this problem

ivanc
02-24-2012, 06:59 AM
Hi!

I followed the instructions to the letter, but when I try iwconfig I get "lo no wireless extensions.".

Wicd network manager also shows nothing...

What did I miss?
Do I need to load a specific driver somewhere? How?

Thanks!

p.s. VMware fresh install BT5r1 gnome32

reverend
02-24-2012, 04:20 PM
Hi folks, I just wondered what you had raised the txpower to with these cards?

From what I've read the Alfa devices aren't actually as strong as what they're supposed to be - by default with the latest compat-wireless drivers I can get working it runs at 20dBm - just wondered what rate you guys were running these at?

30 would get it to around 1mW, and 33 would be 2mW, but from what I can tell it shouldn't actually run as high as that as the aerial bring that level up?

There's no FCC id on the back of mine so I can't actually read what they've tested it at?

eadylinux
02-25-2012, 06:23 AM
hi
ALFA AWUS036NHR chipset RTL8188RU will not work properly with rtl8192cu driver.

I have same card as u do but *cu chipset and it work's just fine except it lock's down to fixed channel -1
however this is solved by iw tool seting a fixed channel and other parameters.

you may check for newest compat drivers from this site:

http://linuxwireless.org/download/compat-wireless-2.6/
this release on the top is newer than your above.
just CHECK THE DATES!

good luck.

I already check for the updates but once I installed the latest driver, during airdump-ng session, Alfa AWUS036NHR show nothing in the terminal.. Does it related with patches from http://www.backtrack-linux.org/2.6.39.patches.tar? During downloading the driver, I used this command:

wget http://linuxwireless.org/download/compat-wireless-2.6/compat-wireless-2012-02-24.tar.bz2
tar jxpf compat-wireless-2012-02-24.tar.bz2
cd compat-wireless-2012-02-24.tar.bz2
make
make install
I changed the driver version as MANZAMANNA posted above and then I changed the driver version as you suggested.

hardbodyartist
02-26-2012, 09:05 AM
Have there been any updates or new patches available on this issue?

Using the instructions in the first post, my card finally works in monitor mode but I can' t associate any client.

reverend
02-27-2012, 09:56 AM
Just for info, this now appears to work out of the box with BT5 R2.

The driver used still won't let you go above 20, although you can work around this by modifying the compat-wireless drivers are recompiling yourself, I did notice that my VM began to hang if the txpower is set above 31, although at 31 it's rock solid.

hardbodyartist
03-02-2012, 06:34 AM

The driver used still won't let you go above 20, although you can work around this by modifying the compat-wireless drivers are recompiling yourself, I did notice that my VM began to hang if the txpower is set above 31, although at 31 it's rock solid.

I now have BT5 R2, but all the BSSIDs are still showing up as 'not associated'. Has anyone figured out a driver patch?

tolga3589
03-02-2012, 10:33 AM
BT RC2 Working ?

tracefinder
03-02-2012, 05:40 PM
Hi everyone!
I use VirtualBox and Backtrack 5 R2. So when I plug in my AWUS036NHR, I can see it using ifconfig. Then I use command:

airmon-ng check kill
airmon-ng start wlan0
iwconfig wlan0 channel 11
iwconfig mon0 channel 11
After that I run Wireshark and start sniffing on mon0, but I can only sniff Beacon frames, Probe Request, Data (just "Data") and some ARP & DHCP packets. No association packets, no authentication packets, no other packets. Early I used the manual in the beginning of the topic, it patched my kernel, but once I could sniff different types of packets, but only once.

Airodump-ng works well, but I cannot see client's STA.

Sorry for my English. If anybody know how solve this problem, please, help.

b1nary
03-05-2012, 03:42 PM
i hate this card -.-

i heard BT rc5 would support finally my card <3
Excited i installed it... and what? My onboard crappy Broadcom card sees about 30 Networks, the Alfa finds only the top 3 (above 38db)
Also my "User Packages" (or whatever this is in airodump, dont get associated.

Should i just buy an AWUS036NH and make my pain an end?
Do you think we we will get this card working in conceivable time?

tolga3589
03-05-2012, 08:13 PM
Not working bt 5 rc2 help please... When fix problem ?

dmcdonnell
03-14-2012, 07:59 AM
FYI

The 3.2-stable linux kernel tree was patched on March 7th with "rtl8192cu-add-new-device-ids.patch" which includes "8188RU in Alfa AWUS036NHR". Those of you with Backtrack 5R2 may wish to try it to see if it resolves the problems with this wifi radio. I do not have this device so I am unable to test it myself but would be interested to hear how others get on.

Good luck!

see http://www.spinics.net/lists/stable-commits/msg16198.html

ecochav
03-17-2012, 02:30 AM

How can I edit the drivers to set full power at 33dbi? and I am also not having any associated clients on WPA/WPA2 so am unable to handshake. I have decoded WEP successfully.

Any assistance would be great. :)

mesclete
03-30-2012, 12:38 PM
We seriously we need to be able to associate... i even cant connect with an AP normally, without being in monitor mode.

I bought this card days ago but im seriously thinking in asking for a refund.

screwloose45
03-30-2012, 10:38 PM
Does it work properly or not? I'm ready to buy this thing right now...I just don't want to waste $50.

tolga3589
04-08-2012, 06:55 AM
Sioccfflags unknow error 132 monitor mode help please ? When pathc inj. ?

Gul303
04-17-2012, 09:29 PM
i am able to start monitor mode and injection and deauth is working with rtl8192cu, but aith airodump I am not able to get the assosiated client, any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

1ntruder
04-18-2012, 08:49 AM
Well, first of all guys. Make sure your ALFA is authentic, it has been brought to my attention from some friends that they were having problem with their AWUS036NHR with BT 5 R2 and we realize that their devices were FAKE!!!! so guys make sure your device is not a cheap chinese copy and its the authentic Taiwan Made. Else only god knows what chipset is being used in those cards.

I am using my ALFA AWUS036NHR with BT 5 R2 (KDE-64bit) in a Parallels VM running on top of Mac OS X 10.7.3. Its able to set monitor mode, inject, associate, scan and detect much more networks and with higher sensitivity that my Airport Extreme. I have tested the 5db and 7 db directional panel and both work flawlessly.

I dont know if the other distros (Gnome 32/64 and 32) have a problem. Im downloading now a Gnom 32 bit to check if there is any problem.
Will report back with the findings.

:) Happy BTracking. :D

PoorLostSoul
04-19-2012, 07:37 PM
I want to let you know how I installed the Alfa with injections. This worked in both Gnome and KDE.
To Start I used the instructions at the beginning of this post. For KDE, I changed the following:

--for the build and installation of drivers:

cd /usr/src/
wget http://linuxwireless.org/download/compat-wireless-2.6/compat-wireless-2012-04-15.tar.bz2
tar jxpf compat-wireless-2012-04-15.tar.bz2
cd compat-wireless-2012-04-15
make
make install

--I also kept the udev persistent rules

After continuing through the remainder of the steps, I verified that the Alfa worked and used aircrack-ng to crack my WEP router.

As for the Gnome, I changed the following:

--for the build and installation of drivers:

cd /usr/src/
wget http://www.orbit-lab.org/kernel/compat-wireless-3.0-stable/v3.2/compat-wireless-3.2.5-1.tar.bz2
tar jxpf compat-wireless-3.2.5-1.tar.bz2
cd compat-wireless-3.2.5-1
make
make install

(Now when I did the make and make install commands, I recieved errors; and because I am a noob, I failed to write these down. They did not cause any errors with the drivers working.)

--I also kept the udev persistent rules

I was then able to use Gerix-wifi-cracker-ng to crack my WEP router.

I was using VMware for Gnome and Oracle VM VirtualBox for KDE. I am runing these VMs on an HP Pavilion dv7 running Win7 Ultimate.

PoorLostSoul

PoorLostSoul
04-20-2012, 09:17 AM
I am a noob, butt wanted to say that I was able to get the AWUS036NHR working and injecting (on KDE and Gnome). I actually followed this instructions at the begining of this thread with two minor changes:

+First,for KDE, I changed the build and installation drivers wget

cd /usr/src/
wget http://www.orbit-lab.org/kernel/compat-wireless/2012/04/compat-wireless-2012-04-15.tar.bz2
tar jxpf compat-wireless-2012-04-15.tar.bz2
make
make install

+Second, I kept the udev persistent rules on my card.

As for Gnome I made the same changes except pointed them to the correct drivers. As for the patches I read that the 2.6.39.patches.tar were also for the current version of Gnome as of 20Apr.

+First,for KDE, I changed the build and installation drivers wget

cd /usr/src/
wget http://www.orbit-lab.org/kernel/compat-wireless-3.0-stable/v3.2/compat-wireless-3.2.5-1.tar.bz2
tar jxpf compat-wireless-3.2.5-1.tar.bz2
cd compat-wireless-3.2.5-1
make
make install

(When I did the make and make install command, I recieved some errors. So I ignored them and didn't write them down because I am a noob.)

+Second, I kept the udev persistent rules on my card.

As a result, I used aircrack-ng in KDE and Gerix in Gnome to successfully crack my WEP.

-------------------
System Accomplished on:
HP-Pavilion dv7
Win7 Ultimate
VMWare for Gnome
VM VirtualBox for KDE

timmylee
04-21-2012, 10:42 PM
I tried to install the linux driver for this device to work on backtrack 5 but I couldn't install it so I gave up. I tried editing the driver but it didn't change anything. My question is I use a windows laptop will this linux driver conflict with the windows driver making it change it's functionality? Does the driver install on the device or on the actual computer? Also Isn't the linux driver that's supposed to work in Backtrack 5 the same that's included with the mini cd of this device? Thanks for any help

PoorLostSoul
04-23-2012, 12:44 PM
I tried to install the linux driver for this device to work on backtrack 5 but I couldn't install it so I gave up. I tried editing the driver but it didn't change anything. My question is I use a windows laptop will this linux driver conflict with the windows driver making it change it's functionality? Does the driver install on the device or on the actual computer? Also Isn't the linux driver that's supposed to work in Backtrack 5 the same that's included with the mini cd of this device? Thanks for any help

Timmylee --

I have not installed the driver on BT(BackTrack) 5. I accomplished this on BT 5r2. I chose not to use the drivers supplied with the mini CD or edit the driver. My thought process was that even though the drivers should be the same, I would prefer the drivers promoted through BT and associated websites.

As for the drivers, they are being installed on the computer. (Firmware is usually installed directly to the devices.) There will not be a conflict of drivers especially when running BT through a VM(Virtual Machine) program. For instance, I have two laptops that I use for testing OSs. One laptop, I have installed the drivers for the wireless card in the windows environment and then I installed it to the BT VM. The second laptop, I did not install the wireless card in the windows environment, but I installed it in the BT VM environment. Within both instances, there were no confilcts and I was able to do what I wanted to within BT. I am not sure if I answered your question.

tolga3589
04-27-2012, 07:05 AM
KDE 64 bit wep full working but, wpa not working :S what is the wpa for solution ?

LauranceYap
05-05-2012, 09:20 PM
AWUS036NHR vs. AWUS036H (or different adapter all together)

Hey, I'm going to be getting a "long range" wifi adapter soon for my laptop cuz the integrated intel PRO/Wireless 3915ABG sux. I have been looking around and reading a bunch of reviews and have came to the conclusion that I'll be going with an Alfa USB adapter. But I'm still torn between the 2 models. The newest model "AWUS036NHR" which is draft N and uses the "RTL8188RU" chipset and the more tried and true (according to what i've found looking online) Model "AWUS036H" which uses the "RTL8187" chipset.

The main reason why I wanted this new adapter is to increase range and find more networks some of which could possibly be N networks. However, I'd also like to be able to do packet injection so i can test networks . So I'd probably have more and better connectivity with the newer "NHR", but I have been searching around and can't seem to find any drivers for the "RTL8188RU" chipset that do packet injection. So as far as Network testing goes, I'd probably be better off with the older "H". Sound about right so far????

BTW... for network testing I am using backtrack 3 final (live cd) and once I get windows up and running again (currently have blue screen of death) I will probably upgrade to latest version of BT (or possibly ubuntu or some other linux). And for general computer use I use windows xp. Also keep in mind that before a couple of months ago, when i got blue screen, I have never used linux or any other OS besides windows so I'm a complete noob. Also above all else, whatever adapter I get will have to work in BOTH LINUX and WINDOWS

So what I wanna know is, what adapter would I be better off getting? the "NHR" or the "H"? Or is there another adapter made by someone else with a different chipset that would be even better (for range, or injection, or both)? And the last question I have is about antennas. the alfa's (on amazon) are sold with a few different antenna types/ratings and I was wondering how much of a difference the antenna will make. I can get both the "NHR" and the "H" with either of the following antenna(s) with the prices varying by only a few dollars.
1.)5dBi omni directional
2.)5dBi and 9dBi omni directional
3.)5dBi omni directional and 7dBi directional (panel) antenna

according to a bunch of reviews, the 7dBi directional antenna works the best, but then multiple reviews claim that the 5dBi omni works better than the 9dBi omni (both alfa brand) which doesn't seem logical to me (the 2 omni's anyways) So Just wondering as far as range is concerned would I be better off getting the adapter with the panel antenna? the antenna and adapter (no matter which ones) will be inside my house.

This turned out way longer than I expected. If anyone can help this noob out, I'd really appreciate it..... hopefully today. I would like to order one today so I can get by mid to end of next week. Thanks.

dasimpson
07-14-2012, 03:19 PM
go with the AWUS036H you wont be sorry i got the AWUS036nhr and after 2 month still trying to crack my test router with it with no luck i was stupid i so the power and thoght 2mw over 1 mw and did not think to check to see if backtrack could work it

dasimpson
07-26-2012, 04:20 PM
finerly cracked wep with this card ok it tulk 10 hours of monitering for data but it cracked would of been faster if i could get injection to work

Justus
08-30-2012, 09:45 AM
Hi,

I see this thread has been idle for a while, but hope I can still get a reply. I have Backtract 5 R3 running on a VM on my MBP. I'm using Virtual Box.

I bought an Alfa AWUS036NHR and am trying to use it from the BT VM. So it seems BT5 R3 has support for this card by default.

Ok so I am able to:

airmon-ng start wlan0
airodump mon0

And this all works fine. I also receive "Injection is working!" when testing with aireplay-ng:

aireplay -9 mon0

But I am not able to do the following:

1. Change the txpower of the card above 20dBi. I have tried everything for the last week. I have made and installed my own custom reg-db and am able to switch to regions with higher txpowers ie. "iw reg set BO". But when every I try to up the txpower I receive an error "Error for wireless request 'Set Tx Power' (8B26) SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument" when doing:

ifconfig wlan0 down
iw set reg BO
iwconfig wlan0 txpower 30

2. I cannot connect to any network. I have tried to connect to 3 different AP with what I am sure to be the correct WPA2 password. Wicd simply keeps saying "Bad password".

Any help will be much appreciated.

Kian123
09-06-2012, 04:25 PM
So the AWUSO36NHR is work well in backtrack5 r2 or r3 ???? Or is better use the 36nh ? Which one is okey now????

BlackBeard2
09-11-2012, 04:15 AM
Hello everyone, I always get to the end:

11:20:42 Trying broadcast probe requests...
11:20:44 No Answer...
11:20:44 Found 1 AP

11:20:44 Trying directed probe requests...
11:20:44 74:EA:3A:EB:53:34 - channel: 1 - 'Picco'
11:20:50 0/30: 0%

11:20:50 Trying card-to-card injection...
11:20:54 Attack -0: Failed
11:20:58 Attack -1 (open): Failed
11:21:03 Attack -1 (psk): Failed
11:21:07 Attack -2/-3/-4/-6: Failed
11:21:11 Attack -5/-7: Failed

I think the problem is here, when it is the question I answer Y, but is still written abort. Someone can give me the solution??
god use bact track 5 R2, here's the code:

root@bt:~# apt-get update
Hit http://ppa.launchpad.net maverick Release.gpg
Ign http://ppa.launchpad.net/danielrichter2007/grub-customizer/ubuntu/ maverick/main Translation-en_US
Hit http://ppa.launchpad.net maverick Release.gpg
Hit http://all.repository.backtrack-linux.org revolution Release.gpg
Ign http://all.repository.backtrack-linux.org/ revolution/main Translation-en_US
Ign http://all.repository.backtrack-linux.org/ revolution/microverse Translation-en_US
Hit http://32.repository.backtrack-linux.org revolution Release.gpg
Ign http://32.repository.backtrack-linux.org/ revolution/main Translation-en_US
Ign http://32.repository.backtrack-linux.org/ revolution/microverse Translation-en_US
Hit http://source.repository.backtrack-linux.org revolution Release.gpg
Ign http://source.repository.backtrack-linux.org/ revolution/main Translation-en_US
Ign http://source.repository.backtrack-linux.org/ revolution/microverse Translation-en_US
Ign http://ppa.launchpad.net/n-muench/vlc/ubuntu/ maverick/main Translation-en_US
Hit http://ppa.launchpad.net maverick Release
Ign http://all.repository.backtrack-linux.org/ revolution/non-free Translation-en_US
Ign http://all.repository.backtrack-linux.org/ revolution/testing Translation-en_US
Hit http://all.repository.backtrack-linux.org revolution Release
Ign http://32.repository.backtrack-linux.org/ revolution/non-free Translation-en_US
Ign http://32.repository.backtrack-linux.org/ revolution/testing Translation-en_US
Hit http://32.repository.backtrack-linux.org revolution Release
Ign http://source.repository.backtrack-linux.org/ revolution/non-free Translation-en_US
Ign http://source.repository.backtrack-linux.org/ revolution/testing Translation-en_US
Hit http://source.repository.backtrack-linux.org revolution Release
Hit http://ppa.launchpad.net maverick Release
Hit http://all.repository.backtrack-linux.org revolution/main Packages
Hit http://32.repository.backtrack-linux.org revolution/main Packages
Hit http://source.repository.backtrack-linux.org revolution/main Packages
Hit http://ppa.launchpad.net maverick/main Packages
Hit http://all.repository.backtrack-linux.org revolution/microverse Packages
Hit http://all.repository.backtrack-linux.org revolution/non-free Packages
Hit http://all.repository.backtrack-linux.org revolution/testing Packages
Hit http://32.repository.backtrack-linux.org revolution/microverse Packages
Hit http://32.repository.backtrack-linux.org revolution/non-free Packages
Hit http://32.repository.backtrack-linux.org revolution/testing Packages
Hit http://source.repository.backtrack-linux.org revolution/microverse Packages
Hit http://source.repository.backtrack-linux.org revolution/non-free Packages
Hit http://source.repository.backtrack-linux.org revolution/testing Packages
Hit http://ppa.launchpad.net maverick/main Packages
Reading package lists... Done
root@bt:~# apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
binutils-avr gcc-avr gddrescue libqt4-declarative libqt4-dev libqt4-opengl
libqt4-opengl-dev libqt4-qt3support libqtwebkit-dev python-chardet
python-cherrypy3 python-feedparser qt4-qmake
The following packages have been kept back:
afflib ophcrack
The following packages will be upgraded:
aircrack-ng arduino backtrack-utils beef bluelog bluez-hcidump casefile
dedected dirb dnsrecon driftnet firefox fragroute freeradius-wpe goofile
hashcat hashcat-gui hashcat-utils hexorbase hydra impacket-examples john
joomscan libhijack maltego mantra medusa metasploit nmap oclhashcat-lite
owasp-zap peepdf plecost pytbull python-ptrace se-toolkit sfuzz sipcrack
skipfish sleuthkit sqlmap sqlninja sslyze tcpdump tcpflow testdisk thc-ipv6
theharvester videojak voiphopper volatility w3af watobo wce webshells
weevely windows-binaries wireshark wol-e wordlists
60 upgraded, 13 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
Need to get 639MB of archives.
After this operation, 84.3MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y
Abort.

platinum911
09-11-2012, 02:49 PM
I finally got mine working and cracked my WEP after a long time :) My problem is why can't I connect to a network with Alfa Awush 036nhr using backtrack? it says bad password!!! i am trying to use armitage but cant.

BlackBeard2
09-19-2012, 11:14 AM

Injection is working!
http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/carl9170 in "/lib/firmware" and it will load

I followed the guide step by step, but I get this:

18:28:10 Trying card-to-card injection...
18:28:10 Attack -0: OK
18:28:10 Attack -1 (open): OK
18:28:11 Attack -1 (psk): OK
18:28:15 Attack -2/-3/-4/-6: Failed
18:28:19 Attack -5/-7: Failed

Do you know how to fix my problem ?

DataPhreak
09-21-2012, 12:59 AM
Well, I got mine working. I went through the same process as poor lost soul, except with compat-wireless 3.6rc6. I'm using bt5r3, and apparently there isn't a 3.2.6.patches.tar on the bt website that i've found, so i skipped that step. At any rate, after compiling and installing, reaver is running fine, but channel hopping is not. I remember seeing this somewhere else. I'll poke at it and keep you informed.

antiehovtec
09-25-2012, 03:47 AM
I am a beginer using linux....i tried to follow the steps but still get problem my chipset still unknown for ALFA AWUS036NHR. Otherwise when i try to scan wireless it can not detetc the access point nearby..Any body can solve my problem.

DataPhreak
10-01-2012, 08:11 AM
Update! See? I'm a man of my word.

So i ran reaver, it worked, figured everything was working. Well, it wasn't. I started poking around trying to get master mode to work with iwconfig, and it wouldn't work. So i went back through the process again with different settings, and injection is working as well as channel hopping. Forgive me if I do not paste logs, but I'm posting from a different computer.

Again this is BT5r3 Gnome64. Followed lost soul's process again, this time I followed the KDE instructions using wget http://linuxwireless.org/download/compat-wireless-2.6/compat-wireless-2012-09-27.tar.bz2 and making the appropriate modifications. This was sans-patch. I didn't even check if there was a patch this time. Meh.

At any rate, what's not working is master mode. I'm going to have to poke around and see if I can get airbase working. There's a mesh mode and another mode that might work. Again, will keep you posted.

Rubaz
10-04-2012, 12:46 PM
Its now Plug and Play :D It works now on BackTrack r3! INJECTION 100% =) Thank You BackTrack Team ;)

mehdi
10-11-2012, 02:27 PM
Hi Rubaz

I'm trying to use the same card and BT5r3 on a VMWare and no luck so far
could you please let me know exactly what steps did you followed to get it working ?

Many Thanks

deeltje
10-17-2012, 02:48 PM
Edit: I've given up on this adapter and went back to the AWUS036H (I've also got a AWUS036NH on the side).

Just exchanged my AWUS036H for the AWUS036NHR (because I need it to work with OSX 10.8.2 on my Macbook Air (2010)).

First of all, maybe a N00B-question, but; Why does the USB Cable provided has 2 Male USB connectors? Is this for low-voltage USB-ports on specific computers? Do I need to connect both on my MacBook as well? I've connected the one that comes from the main-cable, the other one is disconnected.

I've downloaded the RTL8188RU for OSX 10.8 directly from the RealTek website:
http://www.realtek.com.tw/DOWNLOADS/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=21&PFid=48&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false&Downloads=true

It's a lot faster then trying to download the driver from the Alfa website and it works perfectly. Tested and working on my MacBook.

I'm running BackTrack 5 R3 32-Bit GNOME (iSO) via VMWare Fusion 5 on OSX 10.8.2 and after a apt-get update it seems its working perfectly out of the box:

Interface Chipset Driver
mon0 Unknown rtl8192cu - [phy0]
wlan1 Unknown rtl8192cu - [phy0]

root@bt:~# aireplay-ng -9 -i mon0 wlan1
For information, no action requiered: Using gettimeofday() instead of /dev/rtc

16:42:04 Trying broadcast probe requests...
16:42:04 Injection is working!
16:42:06 Found 5 APs

16:42:06 Trying direct probe requests...
16:42:06 54:E6:FC:C4:11:A4 -channel: 1 - 'ciber_rojas'
16:42:10 Ping (min/avg/max): 4.364ms/8.776ms/12.736ms Power: -36.00
16:42:10 11/30: 36%

16:42:24 Trying card-to-card injection...
16:42:24 Attack -0: OK
16:42:24 Attack -1 (open): OK
16:42:24 Attack -1 (psk): OK
16:42:24 Attack -2/-3/-4/-6: OK
16:42:24 Attack -5/-7: OK
root@bt:~#

I've also succesfully injected packets on WEP and cracked with Aircrack-ng 10.000 IVs

Read 56221 packets (got 17449 ARP requests and 0 ACKS), sent 23049 packets... (500pps)

Beini 1.2.3 on VMWare Fusion 5:
- I did a succesful DeAuth and got a Handshake

Xiaopan 0.4.1 on VMWare Fusion 5:
- I did NOT succesfully used Reaver, it associates, but can't use the pin's

BackTrack 5 R3 32Bit Gnome on VMWare Fusion 5:
- I did NOT succesfully used Reaver, it associates, but can't use the pin's and get's time-outs
- With Wicd Network Manager I'm able to see/scan/connect to wireless networks as well.
- Succesfull Injection WEP
- WPA Handshake NOT possible

BackTrack 5 R3 64Bit Gnome on VMWare Fusion 5:
- I did NOT succesfully used Reaver, it associates, but can't use the pin's and get's time-outs
- With Wicd Network Manager I'm able to see/scan/connect to wireless networks as well.
- Succesfull Injection WEP
- WPA Handshake NOT possible
- I get ARPs not ACKs
- DeAuth = working, but handshake has not been received

I Hope this information is helpfull to anyone.

motomark
10-29-2012, 11:50 AM
my card worked out of the box with bt5 r3, vm ware on win7. cracked my wep and wpa first time round. thanks for all you help . new to all this but keen to learn

platinum911
10-30-2012, 10:38 PM
can you guys use this card connecting to internet trough backtrack5. everything works fine for me but i cannot connect to internet with this card. if you know anything about this, a solution please let me know.

Irongeek
11-01-2012, 02:40 PM
I'm in the same condition as Justus on this, I move to Bolivia or hack the CRDA, but still can't go above 20dbm. Mostly posting to see if anyone had figured that one out (custom driver?)

71m30u7
11-02-2012, 07:28 AM
I'm in the same condition as Justus on this, I move to Bolivia or hack the CRDA, but still can't go above 20dbm. Mostly posting to see if anyone had figured that one out (custom driver?)

Hi, i have this card too.
I used this manual (http://ttys1.wordpress.com/2012/04/12/fixing-regulatory-domain-crda-of-realtec-wireless-device-drivers/) too fix ignores the regulatory set by the CRDA service.

If you try to change the CRDA to Bolivia (in that country are very low wireless regulatory) with the following command

iw reg set BO

you will not get any changes. So if you try to change the txpower (dBm) of your card to more than 20 you will get

iwconfig wlan0 txpower 30dBm
Error for wireless request "Set Tx Power" (8B26) :
SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.

Also you still have only the first 11 channels available.
So letís check out the latest wireless driver package (you should use a newer one. Can be found on the linuxwireless homepage at http://linuxwireless.org/download/compat-wireless-2.6/):

wget http://linuxwireless.org/download/compat-wireless-2.6/compat-wireless-2012-04-11.tar.bz2
tar xf compat-wireless-2012-04-11.tar.bz2
cd compat-wireless-2012-04-11

Now we try to find some infos about regulatory options packed in the rtl driver packages:

find . -name '*reg*'|grep rtl

I got this output:

./drivers/net/wireless/rtlwifi/regd.c
./drivers/net/wireless/rtlwifi/rtl8192cu/reg.h
./drivers/net/wireless/rtlwifi/regd.h
./drivers/net/wireless/rtlwifi/rtl8192ce/reg.h
./drivers/net/wireless/rtlwifi/rtl8192se/reg.h
./drivers/net/wireless/rtlwifi/rtl8192de/reg.h

You see that all the rtl8192 drivers are affected by this bug.

It seems that the regulatory engine of the realtek driver package is in regd.c. So letís edit it with your preferred editor. I use vim:

vim ./drivers/net/wireless/rtlwifi/regd.c

At line 53 and 54 you see something like that:

#define RTL819x_2GHZ_CH01_11 \
REG_RULE(2412-10, 2462+10, 40, 0, 20, 0)

This is a regulatory definition that CRDA uses too. I will only change the values of the RTL819x_2GHZ_CH01_11 definition and will pimp them to use all 14 channels available worldwide and to use a maximum dBm of 33 (what is about 2000 mW, the maximum of my card).

The REG_RULE function is defined as follow:
REG_RULE(min_freq, max_freq, kHz, max_dbm_with_antenna, max_dbm, flags)

Here is my pimped REG_RULE:

REG_RULE(2412-10, 2484+10, 40, 0, 33, 0)

Replace the old rule with this one and you will get the maximum out of your hardware.

Now unload already loaded realtek drivers, rebuild and install them:

modprobe -r `lsmod|grep ^rtl`
make && make install

When you plug-in your wifi device iwconfig should output something like that:

wlan0 IEEE 802.11bgn ESSID:off/any
Mode:Managed Access Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=0 dBm
Retry long limit:7 RTS thr=2347 B Fragment thr:off
Encryption key:off
Power Management:on

Have a nice day!
Chears!

PestoDeluxe
11-02-2012, 02:46 PM
Hey people

I tried 71m30u7 suggestion and it dosent work for me.

i had a fresh persistant usb drive with bt5r3, so as i understood the thread i only used 71m30u7 manual ending up with an unbootable usb stick.

i really dont know what i am doing and why. so its hard du get the alfa proplerly working on 33 dbm.

revroad
11-04-2012, 02:36 PM
I recently bought the AWUS036NHR and I'm having issues with it in BT5 r3. I've tried both the Gnome 64 and KDE 32 ISOs, booting my system off the live DVD instead of a HDD installation. Should there be any difference in device support between using BT on the live DVD versus a HDD installation?

Booting with the AWUS036NHR plugged in, I put the device into monitoring mode with airmon-ng and test with "aireplay-ng --test" and all attacks are reported as Failed during card-to-card injection. Then I use the following commands based on information from the wiki (http://www.backtrack-linux.org/wiki/index.php/Rtl8187_vs_r8187#SIOCSIFFLAGS_Unknown_error_132) to force the card into an enabled state.

rmmod rtl8192cu
rfkill block all
rfkill unblock all
modprobe rtl8192cu
rfkill unblock all
ifconfig wlan0 up

Testing again with "aireply-ng --test", aireply reports OK for Attack -0, Attack -1 (open), Attack -1 (psk), but Failed for Attack -2/-3/-4/-6 and Attack -5/-7. At one point during it did report OK for all attack tests, but it has not lately. The other issue I'm seeing is that airodump-ng either does not show stations when another card does, or shows all stations as "(not associated)".

For those that claim the device is working out of box on BT5r3, are you it from the live DVD or a HDD installation? Any help would be appreciated.

helax
11-04-2012, 10:27 PM
Having the same trouble as some others in this thread.
I'm not able to attain WPA handshake in backtrack 5 r3. I can get it in Beini. Anyone know a workaround to fix's this?
Running Backtrack 5 r3 in VMware Fusion on a macbook 15" retina.

Egidatorius
11-11-2012, 12:19 PM
I bought Alfa AWUS036NHR few weeks ago and works "plug and play" on bt5_r3. I'm using BT5 R3 64bit_KDE in HDD and W8 vmware. I tried to crack my router but no luck. I tried crack other routers with reaver and looks like it works fine, I cracked 3 wpa2 AP's per 24h. Moreover I cant connect Wicd to AP's, display error "bad password".
When I use airodump-ng I can see over 15 AP's and many not associated clients. During cracking wep I can't get IV's fast, I lost many of data. Looks like it is driver problem. During airodump-ng I noticed that my card (or driver) can't see (or hear) traffic between AP's and clients. I noob at linux so don't know how to solve this problem, I tried install latest compat-wireless with 2.6.39 patches or without, I got no luck, even worse!
Need a professional at Linux and bt help :)

BorisTheBlade
11-11-2012, 02:03 PM
--- upgarde:

apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade
apt-get autoremove

prepare-kernel-sources
cd /usr/src/linux

cd /usr/src/
make
make install

reboot

iwconfig
-- plug AWUS036NHR

iwconfig
airmon-ng check kill
airmon-ng start wlan0
--I get:
No Answer...
Found 0 APs

Injection is working!

Enjoy

note: I've edited with latest compat-wireless version and added linux-headers with a link to Module.symvers, it was needed:

WARNING: Symbol version dump /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.39.4/Module.symvers
is missing; modules will have no dependencies and modversions.

feel free to check if it is ok

note2: After this upgrade, "FRITZ!WLAN USB STICK N", (based on Atheros AR9170 Chipset, using carl9170 driver) stop load his firmware. So.. download newer "carl9170-1.fw" (now is 1.9.4) from here http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/carl9170 in "/lib/firmware" and it will load

Epic waste of time,
This card works out of the box for things like reaver and cracking WEP so this tutorial is pointless.
The problem with this card is that it doesnt allow you to connect to AP's.
I can sometimes connect to APs if after my first attempt to connect i cancel the connection unplug my alfa card and then pllug it back in, Remembering NOT to refresh Wicd.
Then it connects but only after the second attempt.
Obviously it still doesnt go above 20db.
This is the best card by far even without proper drivers....imagine how powerful it would be if it worked properly.
Ive had 3 of these for about 8 months now and still havent found the solution or a working driver :(

CBottome
11-16-2012, 12:10 AM
Please help these has been an endless errors route im starting to get frustrated fyi im running parallels 7 on mountain lion with parallels tools installed after doing the tut i get

root@bt:~# aireplay-ng -9 -i mon0 wlan1
Interface wlan1:
ioctl(SIOCGIFINDEX) failed: No such device

root@bt:~# aireplay-ng -9 -i mon0 wlan0
ioctl(SIOCSIWMODE) failed: Device or resource busy

ARP linktype is set to 1 (Ethernet) - expected ARPHRD_IEEE80211,
ARPHRD_IEEE80211_FULL or ARPHRD_IEEE80211_PRISM instead. Make
sure RFMON is enabled: run 'airmon-ng start wlan0 <#>'
Sysfs injection support was not found either.

Does anybody have an idea about whats going on ???!? ive already erased and reinstalled and did all the process to install drivers 3 times !! always getting to the same result...

some extra info dont know if it helps:

root@bt:~# Attack -0: OK
No command 'Attack' found, did you mean:
Command 'attack' from package 'ladr4-apps' (universe)
Attack: command not found
root@bt:~# attack -0
need 2 args: head interp
root@bt:~# attack -0: ok

root@bt:~# ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:1c:42:08:d1:0f
inet addr:10.211.55.9 Bcast:10.211.55.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fec0::fea9:21c:42ff:fe08:d10f/64 Scope:Site
inet6 addr: fe80::21c:42ff:fe08:d10f/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:96 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:20 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:24615 (24.6 KB) TX bytes:2098 (2.0 KB)

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:84 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:84 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:12377 (12.3 KB) TX bytes:12377 (12.3 KB)

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:c0:ca:6b:16:8b
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

root@bt:~# iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11bgn ESSID:off/any
Mode:Managed Access Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=20 dBm
Retry long limit:7 RTS thr=2347 B Fragment thr:off
Encryption key:off
Power Management:off

eth0 no wireless extensions.

Also when using Wicd it shows wifi signals but it wont connect it gets stuck resolving ip address...

Irongeek
11-19-2012, 05:11 PM
Thanks 71m30u7, that post worked for me 33dbm it is. :)

helsil
11-28-2012, 04:20 AM
It is working with Kde backtrack 5 rc1 fine now thank you

but still some software is not working like
Gerix wifi crack
the problem when you start sniffing using airodump
in finding clients is not working probable for Gerix but if you do it manually is fine

i got the same problem :(
you managed to solve the problem?
tnks

xploiter1
01-22-2013, 06:12 PM
I am running Backtrack5 r2 and r3 on windows 7 and with Vmware Player
running x64 and Genome

Here i would like to inform you guys that i have awus036NHR and it is "plug and play" on Backtrack 5 r3 (but i noticed somthing that it detected less APs)
But on BT5 r2 you need to install drivers .
i installed the drivers for linux in cd that came with alfa .
after that i was able to INJECT, MONITOR

i was able to successfully run

aireplay-ng -9 wlan0

airodump-ng mon0

and i was successfully able to find the key of my own WEP AP .

NOW IN THE END I JUST WANTED TO ASK (as i was successfully able to find the key of my AP) does that mean my card is fully compatible with everything ? and is perfectly working ? or there are some other things i need to test my alfa adapter for ?
sorry if this question sounds bit odd but i m new to backtrack and wifi testing

Chrifister
01-26-2013, 02:35 AM
So I recently received my AWUS036NHR. The package is missing some accessories so I'm in the process of contacting the seller :confused:

Anyway, I'm running BT5 r3 and the card is picked up right away. Put it in monitor mode and ran airodump and nothing shows up. So that's great. Guess I'm not one of the lucky ones. Also can't increase the Tx power over 20.

So next I go find the latest compat wireless drivers and install them. Now the card is working in airodump although it seems to not be showing associations. One came up when there should have been a lot. Stations were showing up but just the one was associated. Did a comms test against my test WEP router and injection works fine. The only issue is that the card isn't channel hopping in airodump. You have to manually tell it what channel to listen on.

So I restart airodump capturing IVs, successfully fake-auth with aireplay, and start an ARP replay with aireplay. It starts fine and the ARP requests start coming almost immediately but very slowly. Something like bursts of 5-7 requests every 1 or 2 seconds. Airodump shows the data packets going up for that AP in a somewhat similar manner but bigger bursts (which is usually the opposite of what normally happens). Compared to my built in Atheros AR9287, it's just pathetic. At a strong signal, the built in card can generate 40,000 ARP requests in less than a minute and up to 7-8 minutes for a low signal. At the speed this Alfa is going, like 400 ARP requests and 1000 data packets in airodump a minute, it would take 40 minutes to gain 40,000 IVs.

So I decided to leave it running anyway and it errors out around 2500 ARP requests. I have two terminals open and one says error: network down, the other says something like wifi_read() error or something similar. Basically, the card froze. Have to unload and reload the driver before the card responds again. Tried again and this time it froze at like 800 ARP requests, like the whole laptop froze requiring a hard reboot. So these drivers are garbage. Tried the instructions in the first post of this thread, same thing but now it channel hops properly. Tried the same instructions but with updated drivers from another post in this thread and same thing.

So airodump works without any associations, injection works, wpa association works, wash didn't find any WPS APs even though it should have, and it can fake-auth properly. Changing tx power works if you make the necessary change like was said in another post in this thread. Oddly enough it won't let me set it past 30 but sometimes when I bring the card up it defaults to 33.

What's good about it? It works well in windows (not sure of the tx power though?). The sensitivity of the card is light years beyond the built-in one. Was only picking up 6 networks before but this Alfa picks up around 14 sitting on the table and almost 30 sitting in the window. When we go visit my father in the summers, he lives on a fairly small island with no internet. Some of the family around me are just too far for the built-in card to connect to. This Alfa will definitely come in handy.

So would I recommend this card? At this point if you're just looking for a boost in range for windows, then yes. Although the card says up to 150 mbps compared to the built-in standard 450 mbps (which nobody ever hits anyway). For BT, I would have to say no. When researching the other cards there's the NHA which is supported well but low power, the 036NH and 051NH, which are buggy and unstable, and the H which is legendary but lacks N support. So guess I'm stuck waiting for proper working drivers?

Chrifister
01-29-2013, 07:43 AM
So let's say I uninstall these compat-wireless drivers, how would I reinstall the stock drivers that come with BT5 r3 without reinstalling Backtrack?

Guarana
02-03-2013, 01:52 AM
I bought my alfa awus036nhr, recently but i am having some problems. I instaled rtl8188ru driver on windows 7 32-bit and i am having an good signal but my speed is very slow its about 10kb/s, after that i instaled rtl8192cu driver and i am with the same network having a low signal but the speed is 150kb/s, but the speed of the network should be 500kb/s and that speed i am getting with some other wifi card. What should i do? Should i install some other driver on my alfa, or something else? Tnx

hermesgroove
02-04-2013, 01:44 PM
Hey guys,

I just tried out different distros to get the most performance out of my Awus036NHR. Here is what I tried:

Backtrack 5 r3 with compat-wireless-2012-12-18.tar.bz2 drivers VMWARE
hopes were high to get the best performance this way.. I used this (http://ttys1.wordpress.com/2012/04/12/fixing-regulatory-domain-crda-of-realtec-wireless-device-drivers/) method to increase power to 33db (2000Mhz)
Unfortunately I don't pick up a lot of AP's.. I changed to the original ALFA linux drivers and got way more AP's with WICD but no monitoring mode obviously!

Reaver and airmon are working, can put the card into monitor mode but airodump can't show associated clients and AP connection works patchy. It shows more AP's than the other distros..

http://i.imgur.com/abeAokT.png

Backtrack 5 r3 USB Thumb drive

With the standard Thumb drive installation I seem to have the same problems as with the VMWare image , not surprising... I wanted to test this because some users reported to have the chipset better working using USB thumb drive methodl

Xiaopan 0.4.4

This is my favorite distro at the moment. It doesn't provide the flexibility and the amount of tools BT5r3 has to offer obviously! I still have the same issues as with backtrack but everything works in a simple manner. Reaver seems to work better but it picks up less AP's. WICD and a web browser would be a nice addition to this distro!

http://i.imgur.com/MUu0yfk.png

Beini 1.2.3 built for RTL8188RU

Even though this was built especially for my chipset I had massive problem with this. This might be because it's pretty outdated. I was able to put my card into monitor mode but when scanning for networks, I couldn't pick up any AP's

Does anyone have other suggestions what to try to get WICD and airodump working better?

bica3
02-26-2013, 12:22 PM
Still not a compat driver stable ? :( i use backtrack5 r3 and i try to hack wep in my own roter with gerix and i cant...i get low Data...in 10 min i get just 40 data and 100 ivs.somebody can help me ? and for wpa i try to use reaver and i get failed to associate :( i hate this card

juselasmc
02-27-2013, 04:37 PM
First, excuse my english.

Well, im follow this thread, but i dont make the card work in BT5R3 or BT5r1 on vmware with usb passthrought, my adapter works fine in Monitor mode but the packet injection is not working, teh question is what drivers used the people who says tha works in injection mode, i use the official drivers, and follow this tutorial bot injection dont work.

http://hezik.nl/alfa-awus036nhr-chip-rtl8188ru-compat-wireless-driver-install/

Please some help with this.

Thnks.