PDA

View Full Version : Installing Compiz and Emerald in Backtrack.

sickness
06-01-2010, 08:21 AM
Installing Compiz Fusion in Backtrack.
Now this is a wierd thing to do and useless too but I tought that some who use BT as a main OS would get borred and want to add a little graphic.

First of all let's grab all that we need:

root@bt:~#apt-get install compiz compiz-fusion-plugins-extra compiz-fusion-plugins-unsupported emerald simple-ccsm fusion-icon

Now go to backtrack menu -> system -> compiz fusion
You should see the icon in the toolbar, right click on it and select "Reload Window Manager".

Adding compiz to startup:

Go to /etc/ and edit the file called "rc.local". And just add the files you installed to it, like this:

#!/bin/sh -e
#
# rc.local
#
# This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.
# Make sure that the script will "exit 0" on success or any other
# value on error.
#
# In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution
# bits.
#
# By default this script does nothing.

compiz
compiz-fusion-plugins-extra
compiz-fusion-plugins-unsupported
emerald
simple-ccsm
fusion-icon

exit 0

Now open a terminal and type in

chmod u+x /etc/rc.local

and you're done, reboot and enjoy.

SecUpwN
06-01-2010, 08:49 AM
Installing Compiz Fusion in Backtrack.
Now this is a wierd thing to do and useless too but I tought that some who use BT as a main OS would get borred and want to add a little graphic.

Sickness, thats sick! No, not at all. To be honest, Ive been seriously considering to switch to BackTrack as my main OS. Currently by BT is running as second (pentesting)-boot option within GRUB. Flicking through the board hasnt revealed to me much about how BackTrack compares to a "regular" Linux system (except for the stuff on DistroWatch (http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=backtrack)). Even then I wonder why BackTrack hasnt been counted to the "Major Distributions (http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major)" (yet). so if there are any users here that have been using a major UNIX-Distro for years and finally completely switched over, dont be shy to share your experiences! As for now, Im somewhat hanging in an open loop.

-SecUpwN-

sickness
06-01-2010, 02:43 PM
Well :)) I have Backtrack as my Main OS from the first day it came out (BT4). And it's awsome so have something like compiz and other stuff when you don't have anything to do.

SecUpwN
06-01-2010, 04:51 PM
I have Backtrack as my Main OS from the first day it came out (BT4). And it's awsome so have something like compiz and other stuff when you don't have anything to do.

In other words, Compiz Fusion with all its glossy stuff and geeky screen moving and window flicking is a MUST for everyone using LINUX (and Im talking from the middle of my heart here). :cool:

Back 2 topic: As i have BackTrack running as a second boot option I pretty much know where the differences in handling are. Even though Ive been working for a long time with pretty much everything big thats out there Im wondering if there are there are actually "limitations" in comparison the "major" Distros and if so, what they might be.

To make it short: Im looking for some good reasoning to clear my mind about switching. Your response might be "YOU are the only one who knows the differences for your purpose between the systems", but somehow I cant quite figure it out. If I did, I wouldnt have asked in the first place...

-SecUpwN-

sickness
06-01-2010, 08:12 PM
Backtrack is a pentest distribution, it's never going to be more than that (i think) so if you want to chat with friends, listen to music, watch movies, edit pictures/videos and other you woun't need bt. So unless you do pentesting a lot ... stick to some other Linux as main OS :)

JellyBelly
06-01-2010, 09:00 PM
For begginers, I think there is an advantage to having BT as your only OS on a box.
It forces you to do everything in BT, following some How to, videos or researching BT related endeavors, helping you to become comfortable with the distro and it's tools.

If you are an experienced pentester, than it might not be as relevant to have it installed as a main OS.

Also, I like threads about "Pimp my Box", software of course.
It can help make your BT use an enjoyable process by personalizing the system.

Does Compiz have the transparent system monitor widget that I see on many desktop screenshots?

SecUpwN
06-02-2010, 10:06 AM
For begginers, I think there is an advantage to having BT as your only OS on a box. It forces you to do everything in BT, following some How to, videos or researching BT related endeavors, helping you to become comfortable with the distro and it's tools.

If you are an experienced pentester, than it might not be as relevant to have it installed as a main OS.

Good point, JellyBelly. Id still encourage everyone being new to Linux to use one of the bigger distros out there to learn basic commands and how to compile and install stuff. Of course, if one feels like wanting to dive right into it, were always here to support people.

Also, I like threads about "Pimp my Box", software of course.
It can help make your BT use an enjoyable process by personalizing the system

You bet! is compiz fusion the only "pimp my Box"-software youve got installed?
To everyone reading this: Id appreciate some add-on recommendations.

Does Compiz have the transparent system monitor widget that I see on many desktop screenshots?

If youd post the name/screenshot of the monitoring widget, Id be able to tell you.

-SecUpwN-

sickness
06-02-2010, 10:34 AM
It has all widgets included :D

purehate
06-02-2010, 11:16 AM
Im pretty sure he is referring to conky or gkrellm, both of which are system monitors and can be made transparent. Neither of these have any thing to do with compiz and they are both available in the repos.

SecUpwN
06-02-2010, 12:37 PM

Hm.. this seems to be a good occation to ask: purehate, is BackTrack the only OS youre using? If not, whats your personal configuration? Id love to hear how youve set up your system. And out of pure interest, is THIS BEAST (http://pur3h4t3.blogspot.com/) (loving the fourth pic) youve build still active? Which system runs on it?

-SecUpwN-

purehate
06-04-2010, 06:51 PM
That PC in the picture runs Gentoo 64 bit Linux and is my home desktop and is still running today.

My other main PC is my laptop which is my daily user. It is a Dell studio XPS 15 inch laptop with 2.6 quadcore processor, 8 gigs of ram, a 160 gig ssd, dual Nvidia 260m cards and runs WIndows 7 , lots of VM's incuding Backtrack and dual boots Ubuntu 10.04 with awesome window manger.

I have various other servers and laptops laying around but I do not use Backtrack as my main OS.

I also have my favorite machine: Password Crackers The Tools Server gets a Fat Upgrade (http://tools.question-defense.com/2010/03/18/the-tools-server-gets-a-fat-upgrade/)

lordplagueis
06-05-2010, 01:52 AM
That PC in the picture runs Gentoo 64 bit Linux and is my home desktop and is still running today.

My other main PC is my laptop which is my daily user. It is a Dell studio XPS 15 inch laptop with 2.6 quadcore processor, 8 gigs of ram, a 160 gig ssd, dual Nvidia 260m cards and runs WIndows 7 , lots of VM's incuding Backtrack and dual boots Ubuntu 10.04 with awesome window manger.

I have various other servers and laptops laying around but I do not use Backtrack as my main OS.

I also have my favorite machine: Password Crackers The Tools Server gets a Fat Upgrade (http://tools.question-defense.com/2010/03/18/the-tools-server-gets-a-fat-upgrade/)

lol I never would have guessed you smoke newports

ev350
06-13-2010, 11:59 PM
As soon as i do 'Reset Window Manager' my screen just goes white! WTH

sickness
06-14-2010, 09:32 AM
Well do you have your graphic drivers installed, give us some details what card you have, did you search on google etc.

Zerocool Djx
06-19-2010, 06:18 PM
I have to manually turn on compiz every time... how do I set it to load on startup?

sickness
06-19-2010, 07:51 PM
Read my tutorial again, you will see how.

n0n3z
06-19-2010, 11:41 PM
It is really good tut.

Thks

critterah
06-26-2010, 05:10 PM
Hi, so I followed what you said and everytime I switch over to compiz as my window manager, everything on my screen inverts. All the menus, everything, it's all inverted. It used to work fine a long time ago, but it seems like some update to BT may have messed it up? I researched it a while back and read that it might have had something to do with some python update? Anyone that can shed some light on the situation? Im not that concerned as i dont NEED compiz, but it does add a little something nice. :) Thanks in advance for any help!

Mafaioz
12-07-2010, 12:47 AM
would this work in R2 ?

Archangel-Amael
12-07-2010, 07:54 PM
would this work in R2 ?

Try it and then let us know.

Mafaioz
12-07-2010, 11:38 PM
Try it and then let us know.

Mod Edit: **** me if it did :P

it worked to install and all. but after i did a reload window management, **** froze. so this isnt 100% on r2 version

kjtw73
12-09-2010, 12:35 AM
Mod Edit: **** me if it did :P

it worked to install and all. but after i did a reload window management, **** froze. so this isnt 100% on r2 version

Same result with R2

Oyukito
12-09-2010, 02:08 PM
Hi all, my first post :p

R2 here and everything worked fine, did you install graphic drivers before this?

Zerocool Djx
12-11-2010, 09:15 AM
I tried the adding to the startup with editing the rc.local file, but yet this still isn't allowing compiz to start automatically upon start-up. Any suggestions?

jcharly
12-21-2010, 03:49 AM
i have a little doubt, when i get into the reload windows manager
my desktop turns blank, and nothing happens .
is it normal?
what do i do?
hope you could help me :(

sickness
12-21-2010, 08:45 AM
Well as I said this guide was made for Backtrack 4 Final, it might require a few more tweaks :)

5cardcharlie
12-24-2010, 05:49 PM
Is there a particular reason why this tutorial has people installing the gnome version of compiz and emerald instead of compiz-kde3 and emerald-kde3?

dash1b
12-24-2010, 07:58 PM
I tried the adding to the startup with editing the rc.local file, but yet this still isn't allowing compiz to start automatically upon start-up. Any suggestions?

Try this:

1. remove all of the entries from /etc/rc.local

2. add a simple bash script to your ~/.kde3/Autostart directory.

root@bt~:# nano ~/.kde3/Autostart/start-compiz.sh

Enter the following into the file then save it:

#!/bin/bash

fusion-icon &
sleep 5
emerald &

3. change the permissions on the script

root@bt:# chmod 755 ~/.kde3/Autostart/start-compiz.sh

fusion-icon should force load of compiz with all of the plugins
both programs are sent to the background

works for me with BT4 R2... good luck

dash1b
12-24-2010, 08:00 PM
Is there a particular reason why this tutorial has people installing the gnome version of compiz and emerald instead of compiz-kde3 and emerald-kde3?

Can't answer definitively but if I had to guess, probably something about the kde3 version requiring updates to kde3 which might break some things in this distro.

ohanqwe
01-21-2011, 11:38 PM
Hi I can't run compiz on R2 either. When I do that my screen turn black and crash. My graphic crad is intel gma 4500 do I need to install drivers?

02-06-2011, 03:45 PM
I have the same result everything installs and runs great but doesn't run at startup... I'm also on r2. another weird thing... when i go to rotate the cube, its only like flipping a page over instead of a 3d cube. I tried adding two more desktops for a total of four but no dice.

dash1b
02-16-2011, 04:03 AM
I have the same result everything installs and runs great but doesn't run at startup...

did you try the instructions here? http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forums/backtrack-howtos/29035-installing-compiz-emerald-backtrack-3.html#post184764

zotek
03-08-2011, 08:42 AM
hi guys im having trouble running compiz when i click reload windows manager i get black screen in only mouse courser but its freez.

helpp..

anudeep
03-11-2011, 03:50 AM
i've same problem...any ideas??

jirtos
03-11-2011, 08:34 PM
The "flipping page" is actually the cube! But its setup is made that way its a cueb with only one side - talking in compiz terms, u have only one workspace(not desktop).

And it doesnt run on startup? well, if u follow the guide link from dash1b it actually starts up, but u need the desktop environment to load prior to the compiz, thats why its foked up.

For the rest of you guys (the black screen) - do you have proper GPU drivers installed and tuned up? For example in many cases compiz doesnt work, or works that creepy way u see because of drivers (install newest GPU (ATI or nVidia) and lets see).

anudeep
03-12-2011, 04:03 AM
For the rest of you guys (the black screen) - do you have proper GPU drivers installed and tuned up? For example in many cases compiz doesnt work, or works that creepy way u see because of drivers (install newest GPU (ATI or nVidia) and lets see).

Can you tell me how to update drivers for intel GMA 4500MHD? i don't think its that easy..thanks

jirtos
03-12-2011, 05:35 PM
Can you tell me how to update drivers for intel GMA 4500MHD? i don't think its that easy..thanks

The intel website is a good idea and there is a driver there for your card. I' have read, that installing that driver is presently more for developers or advanced users (but that shouldnt be a problem since you run BT).

Look at this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=928668) for some howtos and guides.

todumco
03-15-2011, 12:19 PM
Hi folks

I had already opened the thread after I found this here, sorry!

Thread: http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forums/backtrack-bugs/38624-konqueror-popup-bt-r2.html

I would like to add an information: the graphics card is Intel Graphics HD.

Strange that in Ubuntu the Compiz works here.

Hugs :D

nix0r
03-22-2011, 01:24 AM
Work as a charm. Thanks sickness. bt4-rc2

03-23-2011, 08:04 AM
thank you to sickness for writing the tutorial and jirtos and dash1b finally got it all set up and running smooth

marnush
04-16-2011, 02:57 PM
sorry guys till compiz not loading at startup.
am using BT r2. followe the steps in the tutorial like changing mode of rc.local
as well as clearing rc.local and creating a simple script in ~/.Kdm-kde3 etc

dint help at all...each time i manually trigger the COMPIZ....what to do?