PDA

View Full Version : How to Start Networking in Backtrack

purehate
01-17-2010, 04:52 PM
This is always a huge topic and it seems simple to many of us but the fact of the matter is we have a lot of "new" people so we need to be clear about this sort of thing. (Note all commands should be run as root or with sudo)

1. To start networking in Backtrack 4 final issue the following command.

/etc/init.d/networking start

This will attempt to start all the interfaces in the /etc/network/interfaces file.

root@bt:~# cat /etc/network/interfaces
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet dhcp

auto eth2
iface eth2 inet dhcp

auto ath0
iface ath0 inet dhcp

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp

If you don't have or don't want some of these interfaces then simply remove the from this file and they will not start.

If you need to set a static IP just set the variables in the /etc/network/interfaces file

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.0.100
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.0.0
broadcast 192.168.0.255
gateway 192.168.0.1

You will also need to make sure you set a nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf

root@bt:~# cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 192.168.0.1

So for example if all you have is eth0 and wlan0 on your system and you want them both to get a adress via DHCP then remove every thing else for the file with the exception of the lo interface. Here is a example.

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp

Now if are lazy and want all this to start at boot you can simply issue this command as root

update-rc.d networking defaults

This will create all the proper sym-links

What about ssh?

So while I am on the subject I may as well go over ssh. In order to use ssh on backtrack 4 final you need to generate the keys first.

sshd-generate

after that you can start ssh like this:

/etc/init.d/ssh start

or you can add it to the boot sequence like this:

update-rc.d ssh defaults

Well thats enough to get up and running. I hope this was somewhat helpful to any one just getting started with backtrack.

capron
01-17-2010, 05:38 PM
Nice, Is the script /etc/init.d/wpa-ifupdown suppos to handel wpa wifi connections in a similar way ?

sl33p
01-18-2010, 05:07 AM
alternatively, in an 'old school' way of doing things on a Debian-based system, one could run:

#ifup eth0 (or whichever interface you wanna start)

instead of running the startup script "/etc/init.d/networking start" this will load the "/etc/network/interfaces" file as well and take you to the net.

to bring you down and disable the interface type:

#ifdown eth0

rgds,
sl33p

Gi0tis
01-18-2010, 05:28 AM
A quite usefull post.Thanx:)

R3104d
01-18-2010, 09:08 AM
Hey thanks again pure. I've been wondering about the ssh but tend to get sidetracked with everything else.lol
Just too many shiny things keep distracting me http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif and the need hasn't been important enough yet I suppose.

JF1976
01-18-2010, 03:07 PM
for connections and GUI tools you could start "wicd Network Manager"
# /etc/init.d/wicd start
then use wicd-client to configure your wireless interface(s) look under the [Internet] menu ;)

relaxo
01-20-2010, 01:02 AM
so is this also still working?

nano /root/.bash_profile
[hit enter then type]:
start-network
[hit ctrl+x then confirm by pressing Y, then enter]

Bashar
01-21-2010, 06:18 AM
I'm running into some difficulties - I think my networking script is caught in a loop. I just overwrote Ubuntu with Backtrack, and Ubuntu was connecting fine to my wireless, and so is my roommate, so I know my wireless is working. In my interfaces file I have wlan0 declared. When I run the command /etc/init.d/networking start I get this output:

Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.1.1
Copyright 2004-2008 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/

Listening on LPF/eth0/*******************
Sending on LPF/eth0/***************
Sending on Socket/fallback
DHCPRELEASE on eth0 to 192.168.1.2 port 67
send_packet: Network is unreachable
send_packet: please consult README file regarding broadcast address.
All rights reserved.

Listening on LPF/eth0/***********
Sending on LPF/eth0/************
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 6
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 9
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 13
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 8
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 13
No DHCPOFFERS received.
No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.
All rights reserved.

Listening on LPF/wlan0/00:13:02:27:c5:f3
Sending on LPF/wlan0/00:13:02:27:c5:f3
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 8
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 11
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 19
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 15

Is there any particular IP address my nameserver in resolv.conf should be set to? It was set to 4.2.2.2 and I reset it to the IP address used in this tutorial.

When I run ifconfig wlan0 I get this output:

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr ****************
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

Any advice would be much appreciated - thanks!

vvpalin
01-23-2010, 03:16 AM
I'm running into some difficulties
-snip-
Is there any particular IP address my nameserver in resolv.conf should be set to? It was set to 4.2.2.2 and I reset it to the IP address used in this tutorial.

Any advice would be much appreciated - thanks!

Its a friendly suggestion but id read up on networking a bit, regardless tho your resolv.conf needs to set to an ip thats going to be able resolve your dns requests ... not a box with an internal ip on Hate's network.

Also im not sure where you got that bash_profile command from since i dont see anyone else mention it, but all it does is start wicd .. "cat /usr/bin/start-network" and see ;)

If you want wicd on boot .. do "/etc/init.d/wicd start" load the gui make sure its setup the way you want then "update-rc.d wicd defaults" and it will load for you from now on .. to remove it do "update-rc.d -f wicd remove"

In the end tho it comes down to this .. if your on a wired network just do, "ifconfig eth0 up ; dhclient eth0" and thats all there is to it .. unless you have dhcp off, and in that case just "man ifconfig" which is what you should be doing anyways ;)

sickness
01-31-2010, 05:53 PM
Ok I'm having a problem here.
My wireless card is : Atheros Communications Inc. AR5001 Wireless Network Adapter
Ok I booted backtrack 4 in VirtualBox, when I type ifconfig -a it shows only "lo" and "eth0", if I type "dhclient eth0" it gets me an IP from my wireless router and internet works. Backtrack sees it as a wired connection and it doesn't see my wireless card in "lspci" but if I restart my computer and boot with BT CD I can't get wireless to work whenever I type "dhclient wlan0 , eth0" It sais "DHCLIENT on wlan0 from 255.255.255.255 interval 07" or something like that.
A little help would be nice ...

I'm having a little problem with configuring my wireless on BT4.
When I boot BT on Virtual BOX it doesn't recognice my wireless but I can connect VIA eth0 (dhclient eth0 works) it sees it as a wired connection even tough it is wireless, but that's not the problem when I restart and boot on bt cd internet doesn't work, dhclient doesn't work but this time it sees my wireless card in "lspci"
(I've been trying to post this for 1 week and it still sais that some moderator needs to check it)

Valkyrie
02-01-2010, 12:06 AM
alternatively, in an 'old school' way of doing things on a Debian-based system, one could run:

#ifup eth0 (or whichever interface you wanna start)

instead of running the startup script "/etc/init.d/networking start" this will load the "/etc/network/interfaces" file as well and take you to the net.

to bring you down and disable the interface type:

#ifdown eth0

rgds,
sl33phi sleep

Is it still necessary to set static IP in the /etc/network/interfaces file in the method your using?

I having trouble basically trying to get any signals in wicd network manager with my Alfa 036h.
My Alfa 036h uses interfaces wlan0 and mon1, does that mean I need to setup iface in /etc/network/interfaces file for mon1?

Mines currently looks similar to below

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp

address 192.168.0.7
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.1.1
broadcast 192.168.0.255
gateway 192.168.0.1

Also, Im not sure the static ip details I've entered are correct. Anyone have any tutorials on this?
Im not sure which details to put here if Im connecting to multiple wep connections for example?I bascially want to be able to go to Wicd, choose the connection and type in the wep key, if possible.
Im using HDD install of bt4 on vmare.

EDIT: found this tutorial- after i run through that it will probably answer my question.
http://www.question-defense.com/2010/01/14/backtrack-4-final-installation-in-vmware-with-vmware-tools

sickness
02-01-2010, 01:21 PM
Tnx I solved it. I just had to modify /etc/network/interfaces :)

entropy
02-02-2010, 01:31 AM
Getting WLAN to work from command line:

If somenone knows how to connect wlan via dhcp from cli, please let me know how

In my case, the wireless nic is on eth1

ifconfig eth1 down
ifconfig eth1 10.0.0.4
ifconfig eth1 netmask 255.255.255.0
ifconfig default gw 10.0.0.2

change the dns server address in the /etc/resolv.conf if needed

iwconfig eth1 key restricted
iwconfig eth1 key s:[passphrase] (or without the "s:" if inputting HEX key)
iwconfig eth1 mode Managed
iwconfig essid MyNetwork
iwconfig channel 6
ifconfig eth1 up

try to ping the default gateway, then Google (http://www.google.com) and it should work.

For some reason, I cannot get DHCP response with dhclient even from a unprotected hotspot without network-manager or WICD. I'd like to know why

yyylot
02-03-2010, 02:05 PM
Very nice! It might be more better if you make a distinction between your expainations and the commonds! I am a new BT4 user! And I would like to study this thread carefully!Thanks a lot!

GDM82541
02-10-2010, 08:02 AM
Solution for me in BackTrack 4:
root@bt:~# dhclient eth0

Regards

faZZer
02-10-2010, 12:05 PM
First of all sorry for my poor English.
I have a problem while connecting to the nework. I read this thread and tried to start the network by editing file "interfaces" and by another method - wicd manager. Nothing works! While trying ping my gateway (or any other PC at my network) I got the answer "Destination Host Unreachable". I have any DHCP servers at my network. ifconfig shows my eth0 interface (it is on realtek chipset). It is up and maybe works.
Such problem is with Wi-FI card (I tried to use Intel Pro wireless card and card on Atheros chipsets).
Please help me by advice. What I'm doing wrong?

euphoric
02-10-2010, 01:59 PM
Hi !

I have the same problem with WiFi.

Wireless PCI Card CNP-WF511 (chip: RTL8185L)

I read all thread's but have not found an answer, how to configure Wireless.

I can only connect to internet with eth0.

When i type :
iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.
eth0 no wireless extensions.

Clicking the Networking Icon in the System Tray, i see only:
Wired network - with mystical IP adress.
No wireless networks found

Someone can help me, please ?

ethicalhacker
02-11-2010, 05:21 PM
Hello guys,

What is the difference between /etc/init.d/networking start and /etc/init.d/NetworkManager start.

Could you can explain the difference, and functions in that?

Valkyrie
02-13-2010, 03:06 AM
Hello guys,

What is the difference between /etc/init.d/networking start and /etc/init.d/NetworkManager start.

Could you can explain the difference, and functions in that?

Wasn't network manager used in the older versions? I was under the impression that wicd replaced the network manager?

marcel
02-13-2010, 10:52 PM
The information worked well. Thanks

CoderTurK
02-16-2010, 09:20 PM
Hi my Backtrack 4 wireless connection problem .

iwconfig wlan0 essid (networkname) key (psw)

but this problem

Error for wireless request set encode (8B2A)

invalid argument (psw)

whats problem

Help me :)

HAPPY :) I lovethis site & backtrack
http://www.offensive-security.com/videos/backtrack-security-training-video/up-and-running-backtrack.html

w1sh3s
02-17-2010, 11:26 AM
Thanks pureh@te, this bit of information helped quite a bit.

reath
02-17-2010, 03:29 PM
Hi All,

I am new here and wanted to say hi due to my first problems with backtrack 4 final ;)

I have read the howto but I still having problems with resolving domainnames. Connecting via ipadresses work fine.

- Backtrack runs in an vmware configured to bridged networking.
- Edited my interfaces

cat /etc/network/interfaces
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

- I configured bt to get ip via dhcp from my gateway router --> Got ip within internal iprange
- I set an default route to the gateway--> work fine

0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 100 0 0 eth0

- I set my router as nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf -->

cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 192.168.0.1

after /etc/init.d/networking start
the content of resolv.conf changes from nameserver 192.168.0.1 (my router) to 2 nameservers of my isp.--> seems alright

-I can ping my router
-I can ping ip's from the internet

- I can't ping Google (http://www.google.com) etc
- I can't browse urls

Has anybody an idea whats going wrong?

Roulette
02-17-2010, 08:12 PM
Much appreciated guide, I was having trouble with the wireless and I'm glad I found this.

SeekNDestroy
02-20-2010, 05:47 PM
I have two computers,a desktop and a notebook(IBM),both of them are conected to internet on a Broadband conection (PPPoE) through a router (EDIMAX).When I plug my Broadband cable in my desktop Ethernet card and after i configured the PPPoE connection in BackTrack 4 works great,but is only on my desktop...

When both of the computers are conected through my router(EDIMAX),on my IBM notebook there is Internet on Windows XP SP3,but on my desktop on BackTrack 4 there is no connection available...

My question is : how can be both of my computers connected directly to Internet through my Edimax router?
Sorry for my bad english.I'll wait for some tips,answers...Thank You!

CoNtAcT2000
02-20-2010, 11:58 PM
Hi All,

I am new here and wanted to say hi due to my first problems with backtrack 4 final ;)

I have read the howto but I still having problems with resolving domainnames. Connecting via ipadresses work fine.

- Backtrack runs in an vmware configured to bridged networking.
- Edited my interfaces

cat /etc/network/interfaces
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

- I configured bt to get ip via dhcp from my gateway router --> Got ip within internal iprange
- I set an default route to the gateway--> work fine

0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 100 0 0 eth0

- I set my router as nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf -->

cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 192.168.0.1

after /etc/init.d/networking start
the content of resolv.conf changes from nameserver 192.168.0.1 (my router) to 2 nameservers of my isp.--> seems alright

-I can ping my router
-I can ping ip's from the internet

- I can't ping Google (http://www.google.com) etc
- I can't browse urls

Has anybody an idea whats going wrong?

if the same problem. sitting there for hours now:(

i can ping all computers in the local lan and my router and internet ipīs but no dns names like Google (http://www.google.de)

CoNtAcT2000
02-21-2010, 12:44 AM
so, now i tried to boot backtrack live system - now the dhcp function works well!

the vmware image dont work for me. you can try dhcp or manually set the ip settings - it dont work!
i can ping all network devices in local lan,the router an internet ips....but the dns will not work.
if tried backtrack 3 and 4 vmware images. windows xp vmware works without problems. all tested with briged and nat network settings

reath
02-21-2010, 03:12 PM
so, now i tried to boot backtrack live system - now the dhcp function works well!

the vmware image dont work for me. you can try dhcp or manually set the ip settings - it dont work!
i can ping all network devices in local lan,the router an internet ips....but the dns will not work.
if tried backtrack 3 and 4 vmware images. windows xp vmware works without problems. all tested with briged and nat network settings

It's a pity. I wanted to have the andvantage to check the vmware host for testing purposes.
Is this a major problem? Or is the vmware image not in use that often so that this information is new? Does it make sense to make an effort to create my own vmware image from scratch?

CoNtAcT2000
02-21-2010, 04:49 PM
It's a pity. I wanted to have the andvantage to check the vmware host for testing purposes.
Is this a major problem? Or is the vmware image not in use that often so that this information is new? Does it make sense to make an effort to create my own vmware image from scratch?

i think the vm's are often in use. i think its a problem with my host Operating System. I use Windows 7 Ultimate with VmWare 7. What are you using?
i remember earlier days, that i've successfully used the backtrack 3 VM Ware under XP as Operating System. So i think its perhaps a Problem with Windows 7 and the Backtrack VM Image.
I'll try to install a new Backtrack4 VM.

Hia again,

i have some news. I tested the bt4 vmware on my laptop with windows 7 professional and vmware player! - not with the full vm ware workstation. This works. so i uninstalled vmware workstation on my pc and installed the vmware player. now eth0 get an ip from dhcp and the dns works well also. dont know whats wrong with the full version of vmware.

Archangel-Amael
02-21-2010, 09:36 PM
s.
Is this a major problem? Or is the vmware image not in use that often so that this information is new?

This is not a "major" nor minor "problem". Me and many others use vmware images and have no problems (save for the expected user generated ones) with networking.
I would suggest you take a look at how networking functions while using a virtualization product.
The vmware product has a very good built in help system as well as their forums and online community. Not to mention at google

coffeelove
02-22-2010, 03:36 AM
After spending 2 days trying to get wireless working w BT4 Final, I almost gave up. I went through everything listed in this forum.

Then I noticed the 'driver' button in the wicd-gui interface... works flawlessly now.

:cool:

reath
02-23-2010, 03:34 PM
I figured it out.
I had to disable the ShrewSoft DNS Proxy Daemon service and so I got a fully working bridged VMware Backtrack with DNS resolution.

m4jh0l
02-26-2010, 02:53 PM
usefull post what about the port forward??from the router to my computer.

Li1_Monster
03-03-2010, 05:18 PM
hi i got networking to run at start up how do i make it stop running at startup? like whats the oppositte for
"update-rc.d networking defaults"

AD0-pro
03-19-2010, 01:20 PM
how to connect via a protocol PPPoE?
tried through usergate but the console does not work in proxy mode
so stuck cable network directly but need to create a connection pppoe
-----------
I have adapter broadcom BCM4312 802.11 b / g
I want to update the driver to work wifi
but it needs to connect to the Internet ((
manually tried to update all the settings huddled together and nothing earned

exoldschoolnowlammer
03-19-2010, 01:21 PM
Hi everyone...

Sorry to bother you with this one, but I've spent a few days searching and still I can't find my problem.

Everything was ok and after some minor changes (I change the HOSTNAME file, and the interfaces file) and put everything back... Something must be changed without my knowlegde.

I checked everything I could...

Problem is: Networking works just for few seconds, it can resolve DNS and everything (I tried surfing random urls never used before and everything is ok and fast)...

But then, I cannot ping anything... all packets lost ... I can disconnect and reconnect, and same scenario... even with different ISP ...

What can be wrong? what log would be useful for you to help me? HELP! :)

Thanks a lot guys...

PS: It is an HDD relatively fresh installation, everything updated/upgraded...

SOLVED: Nothing wrong, just need get VERY close to the AP... Why?

manish2593
03-24-2010, 10:50 PM
i have a belkin 7050 usb and i m running backtrack4 final through usb. as i m new to linux i don't know anything about it . i tried reading other posts but none of them were of any use. plz tell me how to install it configure my wireless adapter . plzzzz.....

Hack4Life
03-26-2010, 05:07 PM
hi ! please help me !!
i'm new to backtrack 4 and i installed a driver for my broadcom 4312..it's driver b43..i tried ti hack the wireless network and i get the key..but when i tried to hack some else network i can't get any packets...after i type the command #aireplay-ng -3 -b 00:24:17:04:66:25 mon0 it just freeze at 2-3 packets and stay like that..HELP MEEEE!!!!!!!

sznajder
03-27-2010, 10:14 AM
Hi everyone! I've got a problem with connecting to the net. I have netbook samsung n130 and I have gsm modem "ZTE MF100". I dont have any idea how can I connect it to my netbook. When i plug it to the usb then sometimes linux see it sometimes not. Please help

sznajder
03-27-2010, 06:10 PM
Hi everyone. I have a problem with backtrack 4 and my gsm modem. I have gsm modem ZTE MF100 and i cant connect to the internet. I cant find any tutorial how can I do this. Please help me

sznajder
03-29-2010, 06:51 PM
Hi i have problem with networking on bt4. I installed network manager and it delete the wicd on my computer. Now i cant connect to wifi and ethernet. Network manager doesnt work. When i plug ethernet cable and type dhclient eth0 i get DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 5 and something like that. I cant use usb memory because I get some error when i want to open it on linux. Please help

Salami
03-29-2010, 09:46 PM
so i installed BT4 in windows 7 using vmware, and ive been going through on how to get my wireless going, but NOTHING works, and the problem is i have no driver/BT is not detecting any sort of wireless card connected, soooo where is the tutorial for this? screen shot attached http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/4632/backtrackkonsole.jpg

gunrunr
03-29-2010, 10:54 PM
how about here
http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forums/backtrack-howtos/209-how-start-networking-backtrack.html
after you issue the command /etc/init.d/networking start then run airmon-ng hopefully you will have a couple interfaces come up.
Now to mr salami since you have the vmware image on your machine you need to check in your VMware setup that you have bridged networking selected, this is the problem 90% of the time. And remember since you are using VMware image you cannot set your onboard wifi adapter monitor mode. To do that you need a USB wifi adapter like the ALFA or some other USB dongle, because the VMware image can have full control of it.

Salami
03-30-2010, 04:58 AM
ahh yeah i had it bridged but didnt have a seperate wireless device, got one now though, thanks for the help!

Salami
03-30-2010, 07:01 PM
so im using a linksys wireless usb adapter inside VMware and i DO have it disconnected from the host and being used inside backtrack only, and i just retraced all my steps to get it to see the wireless device but it still isnt detecting anything

gunrunr
03-30-2010, 10:00 PM
so you plugged in your usb stick then went into vmware's removable devices menu and chose to disconnect from host and connect to vmware?
at that p[point you should be able to turn on the said usb device with ifconfig. who makes your usb stick or whats the chipset, but its usually wlan0. Sometimes airmon-ng will sense a usb adapted even if you did not turn it on via ifconfig yet

Salami
03-30-2010, 10:27 PM
yea i have it disconnected from host and its running in VMware, backtrack can see it as a USB device under the control module:

http://img28.imageshack.us/i/controlmodule.png/

as far as ifconfig goes all it has listed is eth0 and lo, dont see any wlan0. I am using a linksys WUSB600N. is there something in ifconfig i am not seeing and should put in?

Linx_nss
04-03-2010, 12:46 PM
Dear All
Kindly, in the attached snap shoot , I need your help ...why no wireless network in wicd manager ?

Note:
I success to crack the WEP by my WLAN0 so I can see all BSSID ,but I want to configure wirless card to one wirless netwoks .

Thanks

ratatrampa
04-07-2010, 03:19 PM
I'm having a problem here.
My wireless card is : Atheros Communications Inc. AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter
Ok I booted backtrack 4 in VMware, when I type ifconfig -a it shows only "lo" and "eth0", and I have only connected the wireless network. I can not take me wlan0 I should do to fix this problem

thx

user2718
04-12-2010, 12:48 PM
I'm sorry, but I have a very stupid question.
I used the methods above and that's all right, but I don't know where I should write my login and password for broadband connection :confused:

pentest09
04-28-2010, 03:39 PM
Hi all,
Im getting well frustrated with my bt4 vm at the mo, i have the alpha 1000mw usb card and it works fine for wifi pentest but when i want to directly connect to an ap for ssl sniffing it wont give me an ip address and all i get is the eth0 wired network is connected.

now i have tried /etc/init.d/wicd start and then dhclient it has worked before and its doing my head in.

tried ifup wlan0 and still no dhcp offers whats the score peeps. head it working with pure h@tes vmware tut on wireless defense site im actually getting to grips with bt4 now and such a simple problem is such a pain.

"he who laughs last..... thinks slowest"

cheers

killadaninja
05-04-2010, 08:35 PM
Open a Konsole.
Type
start-network
If using a WNIC, stop it using airmon-ng .
airmon-ng stop (dev) then bring it down with ifconfig
ifconfig (dev) down
Where (dev) is your Device name ie wlan0

Now hit K Menu, highlight internet then choose Wicd Network Manager, up the top of the gui choose preferences, then in the wireless interface box type in the interface you want to use (ie wlan0) then hit ok.
If networks do not appear, hit refresh (you may need to hit refresh a few times), once the network you want to connect to appears, click connect. If the network you are connecting to uses encryption proceed to steps below.

Expand the options for the network your trying to access by hitting the little triangle next to the ESSID.
Now choose advanced settings and proceed to change encryption type to that required, fill in the key box with your key and hit ok.
Hit connect and viola, now pat yourself on the back for accomplishing some advanced networking, then watch pr0n.

CodeINe
05-05-2010, 10:06 PM
The first commands wouldn't start anything for me, I did some searching and found this instead :

cd /etc/init.d
bash networking start

Which does the job properly.

SFK1991
05-12-2010, 08:04 PM
hi guys , i'm new to bt4 and i have this problem i can't connect to my router ..
i have a ranlik usb rt2573 that uses rt73 drivers . i have installed it to the hard disc so when i boot up
i type cd /etc/init.d and then wicd start. There i can see all the networks in my neibourhood.
i go to advance settings at my router and put the wpa1/2 - psk after that i go to preferences and at wpa supplicant i put ranlink legacy then i hit connect and it stucks at obtaining ip adress!!
i checked the syslog and it says dhcp on wlan0 255.255.255.255 interval 07 something like that
i don't know what to do pls help me if you can i would apreeciate that

bcslax
05-17-2010, 04:09 PM
I'm using BT4 inside the VMware as Guest OS.After installing the VMware tools I started the network services during the bootup by writing a bash script .In this case i saved the file as ntst.sh.The command inside the file will be as

!bin/bash
sudo /usr/bin/start-network

and placed it in the rc.d and ran the following as

update-rc.d -f netst.sh start 99 2 3 4 5,if it asks for the password enter it.and then after the next restart ypou will find a LAN connection status will be displayed in the tray bar as like in the windows OS.

Hamscer
05-22-2010, 03:41 PM
Pure, I'm sorry if I sound stupid but isnt it simply easier to create the inittab and changeing defualt runlevel to 3 ?

luklaus
05-23-2010, 11:06 PM
First ..THANKS PUREHATE! I was able to network with all the info in the post#1 period got Google with a hawkings mimo router easy. Use the ssh stuff lol I haven';t the slightest clue but ,when you use the ssh command purehate speaks of you will be able to use a router. If a begining newbie like me can make bt work then ...? read post#! in this thread

smashedpumpkins
05-25-2010, 01:17 AM
Gonna play around with this, thanks.

hanson185
05-31-2010, 10:21 PM
Hi there, downloaded BT 4 today, wired connection to my router connected to the internet using BT on VMware fine, then it stoped working so I did a re instal of it and now when I try to use the internet it doesnt work enterd the commands into konsole exactly the same as last time first time I was using starting with
update-rc.d networking defaults
sshd-generate
/etc/init.d/ssh start
in that order (it worked for the first few times)
connections modes I've tryed NAT and Bridged but that didnt work either, any help?

hitmen
06-01-2010, 06:09 AM
Tnx I solved it. I just had to modify /etc/network/interfaces :)

Dear sickness:

Please specify how you edited the file.
My Internet has been down for 3 days and I need to know exactly what you put in.
Thanks.

sickness
06-01-2010, 08:14 AM
I just deleted the ones I don't use and added my wlan1 which was my adapter, than downloaded wireless drivers from the internet and installed them.

oceans11
06-07-2010, 12:44 AM
The first commands wouldn't start anything for me, I did some searching and found this instead :

cd /etc/init.d
bash networking start

Which does the job properly.

This worked for me too. For a little while. I could see wireless networks and connect to them. But after a few days it stopped working. I can't see or connect to any wireless netowork. I am using broadcom bcm4318 BT4 hard drive install.

jon_doe
06-17-2010, 02:25 PM
Hi my Backtrack 4 wireless connection problem .

iwconfig wlan0 essid (networkname) key (psw)

but this problem

Error for wireless request set encode (8B2A)

invalid argument (psw)

whats problem

I was getting this error as well.

To connect to wireless using WPA/WPA2 in Backtrack 4:

1. Create a file /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf, copy and paste in the following

network={
ssid="<network>"
psk="<key>"
}

Replace <network> with the name of your network, e.g. linksys, and replace <key> with your passphrase e.g. p@$$w0rd.

Now save it.

2. In a new shell write:

chmod 755 /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

Hit return.

3. Then,

wpa_supplicant -i <interface> -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

replace <interface> with the name of your interface, e.g wlan0

Hit return again.

You will see some action in this shell, leave it open and open another one.

4. Finally,

dhclient <interface>

replace <interface> with the name of your interface, e.g wlan0

pRagmata
06-23-2010, 02:38 PM
Hi there,

I am having trouble getting connected to my wireless (wlan0). Dhclient works fine on my wired(eth0) but times out on my wlan0 interface.

[BT4 Medium]: Laptop hard drive install
[Adapter]: Broadcom BCM4306 (rev3)
[Router]: Linksys WRT54GX
[Encryption]: WPA

Everything seems to be functioning but I do not see any Wireless Networks listed when I open WICD. BT4 detects my adapter and all of the wireless tools detect it as well. I had it seemingly working for a bit last night (detected my network and a neighbors), but when I turned my laptop back on it was not functioning. I have a feeling it is similar to the other posters issue about having to be directly beside the AP, however I can't replicate it with enough accuracy to be sure and the fact I picked up a random network also contradicts that claim. I know the AP is fine as I have another laptop (although running windows) that is able to connect and there are no filters configured. Any insight on this?

I've followed guides on the wpa_supplicant, bc43xx drivers, interfaces file, and wicd. I just did a fresh install of BT4 in an attempt to see if I made anything worse by editing settings.

I have read through this thread and tried any relevant fixes to no consistent success. After looking through many WLAN Linux guides online I am stumped. :(

Any help would be appreciated. Sorry if I left out any pertinent information.

Thanks.

armellagrace
07-18-2010, 11:05 AM
nice info :cool: :cool:
whether the same with BT in vmware???

amtesh
08-04-2010, 08:40 PM
I figured it out.
I had to disable the ShrewSoft DNS Proxy Daemon service and so I got a fully working bridged VMware Backtrack with DNS resolution.

Hi..am facing the same problem..how to disable ShrewSoft DNS Proxy Daemon service ?
could you plz explain me..

thanks

amtesh
08-04-2010, 08:46 PM
I am facing a strange issue..i have installed in vmare..and my adapter has configured with NAT..i got dhcp ip so i can ping the gateway but am not able to ping or browse anyother site..plz help me

Aikikai
08-05-2010, 11:04 AM
thanks, exactly what ive been looking for

hamid
08-06-2010, 02:32 PM
i installed bt4 and i used to connect by this cmd
/etc/init.d/networking start when this cmd finish they give me this msg

wmaster0 Link encap:UNSPEC HWaddr 00-21-6B-6A-BA-B8-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
UP RUNNING MTU:0 Metric:1

root@bt:~# /etc/init.d/networking start
Configuring network interfaces...Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.1.1
All rights reserved.

Listening on LPF/eth0/00:1d:72:fb:84:30
Sending on LPF/eth0/00:1d:72:fb:84:30
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 3
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 7
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 21
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 21
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 9
No DHCPOFFERS received.
if-up.d/mountnfs[eth0]: waiting for interface eth1 before doing NFS mounts
if-up.d/mountnfs[eth0]: waiting for interface eth2 before doing NFS mounts
if-up.d/mountnfs[eth0]: waiting for interface ath0 before doing NFS mounts
if-up.d/mountnfs[eth0]: waiting for interface wlan0 before doing NFS mounts
eth1: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
All rights reserved.

SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
Bind socket to interface: No such device
Failed to bring up eth1.
eth2: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
All rights reserved.

Failed to bring up eth2.
ath0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
All rights reserved.

Failed to bring up ath0.
All rights reserved.

Listening on LPF/wlan0/00:21:6b:6a:ba:b8
Sending on LPF/wlan0/00:21:6b:6a:ba:b8
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 4
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 9
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 12
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 20
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 8
No DHCPOFFERS received.
if-up.d/mountnfs[wlan0]: waiting for interface eth1 before doing NFS mounts
if-up.d/mountnfs[wlan0]: waiting for interface eth2 before doing NFS mounts
if-up.d/mountnfs[wlan0]: waiting for interface ath0 before doing NFS mounts
done. please tell me what i should do to fix this problem i have '' ADSL '' :)

fottuns
08-10-2010, 12:27 AM
I am facing a strange issue..i have installed in vmare..and my adapter has configured with NAT..i got dhcp ip so i can ping the gateway but am not able to ping or browse anyother site..plz help me

if you are using vmware fusion just do /etc/init.d/networking start

also you can enable the ethernet card, usually is eth0

ifconfig eth0 up
dhcpclient eth0 up

bbford
08-11-2010, 05:03 AM
I start networking the lazy way:

Kmenu>Services>Network>Start Network

Then

Kmenu>Services>Network>Wicd

hottish
08-14-2010, 11:30 PM
Hello I got problem, I manged to get the Network manager BT4 R1 up sees my APs but when i try to connect to my APs i get the message Bad Password, I tried to connect to my other AP same message Bad Password, these are my APs , can someone point me in The right direction?? , When i boot back into Win 7 I can connect to both.

CyclicFlux
08-25-2010, 02:57 AM
Great thread!!! Very informative, thanks!

dallatorretdu
08-25-2010, 06:41 PM
i'm not able to use this method.. it doesn't work, and i haven't understand all the command to print.

for now i done a lot of try in various methods of Iwconfic wlan0 essid....
and some methods used in this post

now i can do propely "/usr/bin/start-network" and open the wicd network manager
but he give me no wireless network found... after some refresh too!
if i plough in my cable i got the wired connection working!

how i can fix it! my card is in monitior mode and i can't change it! (aspire one 532h integrated)

tank you

FibberOptical
08-26-2010, 08:44 PM
Thank you purehate for the information. This is a great website and there is a lot of information here to absorb. Lot's to learn. I anticipate spending a lot of time looking around.

Now...

Is there anyone that can direct me to a simple to understand, follow the bouncing ball, step by step description to establish wifi Internet access via BackTrack? I have identified the module name for my wifi card and I have a driver set that worked for Ubuntu. I have the drivers unpacked from a tarball and resident in a directory at root. I'm making headway, I think, but it's slow going. I learn a little more each day but I really need to establish connectivity so that I can update the OS. Anyone that can help out I would appreciate the assistance.

Thanks,

Renek
09-10-2010, 04:05 AM
If you need a bouncing the ball method for something as simple as connecting to the internet via wifi (especially with all of the information available in this thread) then perhaps Backtrack isn't a good place to start. I would recommend a basic Ubuntu distro.

If you absolutely must update Backtrack (gotta have the lastest Metaploit updates for db_autpwn, :rolleyes:) then plug in an Ethernet cable and do it that way.

depdneo
09-14-2010, 04:29 AM
thanks a lot for this post

213374U
09-15-2010, 02:21 PM
I used this....

#ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.xx netmask 255.255.255.0
#route add default gw 192.168.1.254

Of course enter your own preferred IP and Default Gateway

cyf3r-r0un6
09-30-2010, 01:09 AM
This was very helpful thank you! I really appreciate the insight.

j0eh4x
10-10-2010, 02:07 AM
When ever I boot backtrack I have to type startx, then i have to click start >internet> wicd-gtk, and then connect to my access point.
My question is.... is there a way I can automate connecting to the internet. I was thinking about making a bash script that would have

startx
COMMAND TO CONNECT TO WIFI POINT

What would that command be. Im using WPA

saeed
10-25-2010, 03:28 PM
1. To start networking in Backtrack 4 final issue the following command.

i hv tried this command on BT4.final

but still wicd apt can not show up interfaces for wireless network ?!

i hv connection v wired network only.
--------------------------------------------------------
root@bt:~# iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

pan0 no wireless extensions.
--------------------------------------------------------
oot@bt:~# airmon-ng

Interface Chipset Driver

---------------------------------------------------------
some1 help me pls.
thx alot.

dfzquery
11-04-2010, 06:38 PM
Great post! Thanks man.

~dfzquery

plumbr7
11-23-2010, 09:35 PM
At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot, (just completely green on linux) how do power on my wireless adpt? IBM r-52 w/intel pro wireless 2200bg (calexico2). forgive me if this is not the right place to ask for help thanks plumbr7

VulcanX
11-30-2010, 07:31 AM
I know that networking is very tough for a noobie esp seeing how I myself started Linux recently.

I thought I would share an awesome resource for everyone and seeing how this is such a problem across the board I thought I would try contribute :)

Here is the link
Wireless Security 802.11 Security Wirelessdefence.org Index (http://wirelessdefence.org/)

The most important things I want to mention are the Wireless Commands, Tools and much more! Just explore the site and enjoy peeps.

naghmanbashir
12-09-2010, 05:31 AM
i am having same problem ,i am unable to run network using VMware player and back track..any one help me regarding this?

the error i am getting :::

when i run /etc/init.d/networking start....

answer:;
SIOCIFADDE: No such device
wlan0:error while getting interface flag:no such device
wlan0:error while getting interface flag:no such device
[[A[[ABind socket to interface:no such device
failed to bring up wlan0.
done.

TheFlyingDutchMan
12-09-2010, 05:37 PM
I don't know, but I advice you to make use of VMWare Workstation. I had problems in the past with VMWare player.

ecpxz
12-30-2010, 05:26 AM
my problem is that i cant route between the wlan0 interface and the eth0 which is another subnet 192.168.0.0
ive used iptables /dhcp dnsmasq etc
the best result i got was from dnsmasq with which the otehr linux machine i have got the ip and was ablet to resolve the google ip but couldnt ping
its a bit messy i know.
id like to know if theres someone willing to help, ive spent 2 afternoons in a row and still getting nowhere
if yes i can explain in details everyhing ive done

vargvikerness
01-10-2011, 05:21 PM
when i type : /etc/init.d/networking start
it will be like that
root@bt:~# sudo dhclient eth1
All rights reserved.

i have dsl not wireless
Im waiting ur answers

ecpxz
01-11-2011, 01:19 AM
well , its not a issue of how to start network in bt rather than of routing .
cheers

Archangel-Amael
01-12-2011, 09:29 AM
when i type : /etc/init.d/networking start
it will be like that
root@bt:~# sudo dhclient eth1
All rights reserved.

i have dsl not wireless
Im waiting ur answers

I would suggest you look into what you are doing instead of just cutting and pasting things into a terminal.
If you have a dhcp server running in your router then the above should work. Being wired or not makes no difference in this instance.
The script merely brings a list of given adapters online and attempts to have them connect to a router (or modem) and gain an IP address. Go back to the first post in the tutorial here and re-read it. Then look at some of the other guides on this forum.

On another note, nice little nickname you picked for yourself there.

MaxAdams
01-13-2011, 04:07 AM
well I've read all the presented solution here and on the ( how to ) and I still can't connect ..
I tried restarting the eth0
and a static IP address

I connect through a micro-tech server with a user name and pass , but I don't know where to enter them ..
there is another problem I think it may be related ..
on the Windows OS .. and using Google chrome
I have to uncheck (use a proxy server for your LAN ) every time I start the system and it get's checked back automatically several times in the same session and every time that happens the browser gives me (Server not found ) which is the same thing the Firefox gives me on bt4
http://i56.tinypic.com/ayaxzl.jpg

MaxAdams
01-14-2011, 03:41 AM
updates :
I don't know what triggered this on but on the bt4 an icon of 2 monitors appeared on the system tray next to the language keyboard layout .. and the iwcd manager tells me (connected to wired network) but still no pages would open !!
I tried a static IP and a gateway (my network defaults) and still no loading ..
in the browser address bar I typed the IP of the login page of the network server .. and hit GO .. the IP transformed to the page name (www.mynetworkname.com\login) and nothing loaded .. it gave me Page not found ..
I don't even understand my problem :-S

P.S
I'm the only PC who is running a Linux OS on my network and no one but me have these problems :\

Ironwil
01-18-2011, 09:30 PM
I'm having a devil of a time getting the networking to start from the command line. I can start the GUI and use the Wicd Network Manager to connect without any problems, but doing it via the command line is eluding me. I've modified the 'resolv.conf' file to point to the default gateway of my router, and ran the /etc/init.d/networking start command, but that has never worked for me. Actually, I'm a bit confused as to which device in the '/etc/network/interfaces' file is my wireless connection. How do I determine this?

I tried specifying a static IP Address following a post about that here, though I really didn't want to, and was doing OK with the commands until the one that assigns the default gateway. Then an error about 'gw' pops up.

I have WPA2 enabled on my router, so I need to include a password to log on. What do I have to enter to get the network started without the GUI? I was hoping to copy the configuration from the GUI interface, but I didn't see a method for doing this.

sekhar546
01-25-2011, 07:08 AM
Hi!
I'm using a broadband connection which username and a password to connect to the internet.
Can you tell me how to connect to the internet using that broadband connection?

Archangel-Amael
01-26-2011, 04:00 AM
Hi!
I'm using a broadband connection which username and a password to connect to the internet.
Can you tell me how to connect to the internet using that broadband connection?
Yes read the first post in this thread.

sekhar546
01-26-2011, 05:05 AM
Hi guyz!
I've given a problem which I have faced before.
More than that I found a simple solution for that problem.
We just have to set a static IP for our local area network, and then we have to download a package named rp-pppoe to install pppoe plugin.
Just find that plugin, download it and use readme to install and to use that plugin.
I can't explain the information correctly here.
If you want the full information, get me at Mod Edit: No email needed.

papis
01-26-2011, 02:03 PM
I have the same worries. Here is the link (http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forums/beginners-forum/37052-how-enable-driver-rtl8187.html) please help me

saudi
01-29-2011, 01:33 PM
Good thanks dude;)

mrughindersingh
02-06-2011, 11:20 PM
hello i have done a presistant install of backtrack 4 final on my harddisk after making a new partition.
i read the thread n tried a few things but still cannot get my network running.

First: i am using a micromax 310 3g usb modem so i tried getting it installed first.I had searched the internet for this and wat i did is that i downloaded sakis3g, booted back in bt4 and extracted it and run command "./sakis3g" from the terminal and it said permission denied, i tried adding sudo before it nothing gud happens either.

Second:I then tried to get my LAN working (also to mention my machine is copmaq presario v6307tu n no wifi).
I followed all the commands in the first post, all i could see were a lot of "failed" entries.
i then did a ifconfig(just in case it might be usefull) and it reads:-

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:1b:24:45:11:a6

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:1a:73:5c:33:d4

wmaster0 Link encap:UNSPEC HWaddr 00-1A-73-5C-33-D4-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
UP RUNNING MTU:0 Metric:1

now i want to kno 2 things first is obviously how to get my network/internet on and the second is why was i denied the permissions?? who else has it if not me when i am only user.

azrigk
02-10-2011, 08:25 AM
ermm.......
hello guyzzzzzz...
i NEW here......
i DOnt KNow What TO do.........
i had a PRobLem ALso.......
when i type /etc/init.d/networking start
this is the output
http://www.facebook.com/azri.yusri#!/photo.php?fbid=200199726664164&set=a.200199723330831.58953.100000224150078

what should i DO???

ricofear
02-16-2011, 12:24 AM
Hello guys,I have a weird problem,I'm succefully connected to my wireless network but all the browsers even apt-get refuse to connect,I allways get the "Unknown Server *blablabla*" message,any solutions?

markonatom
02-16-2011, 07:01 AM
I have a problem with my Alfa AWUS036H, I'm pretty new to this so I don't how to approach this problem.

I connected my Alfa USB but I can't see the connection, it perfectly works in Ubunty (plug&play) but with backtrack I just can't see it.

After long time searching for some "update driver" icon:) I found in system/settingsmenu/hardware USB devices icon, when i opened I realized that RTL8187_Wireless is recognized.

So how can I install driver or load the driver, I also have driver for Linux on USB but I don't know how to install it from usb.

Thanks for help in advance

scouter
03-06-2011, 02:11 PM
Hi,
i work with backtrack4 r2 in vmware player using HP Pavilion dv6 1330
i can't do a wifi scan
my wifi card is Intel link wifi bgn 1000
when i was use backtrack in bootable it was running well
but i don't why don't it work in vmware player

hope to get answer from you
thank you for your time
Scouter