PDA

View Full Version : BT4 triple boot Help....

joshiley
02-16-2009, 01:42 AM
Hello Frnz ....
well i m newbie like many out here and i recently came to know about backtrack 4 and itz awsome features... like every kid i also gets fantasized..and i now really want to test bt4 against my HDD installation
i have read all tutz and how to's here and other places just to successfully install bt ending up maself in loop of confusion...so i need ur help .:):)

First my lappy config....
Acer Aspire 4530
AMD64 processor..
nvidia gcard..
180GB HDD
and blah blah....

My HDD config..
device boot start end blocks id system
/dev/sda1 * 1 2550 20482843+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2 5100 19455 115314570 f w95/Ext'd(LBA)
/dev/sda5 5100 10198 40957686 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda6 10199 14660 35840983+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda7 14661 19455 38514688 7 HPFS/NTFS

these results came after commands fdisk -l

now as it is evident that sda1 is my default windows partition of 20GB
i dont wanna touch that.....
sda5, sda6 and sda7 contains my data and other stuffs so wont touch them either.... the only remaining is sda2 which is sda2 which is some win 95 partition ...but i left it as unallocated during my windows installation... it is of 20 GB

NOW out of those 20 GB i want 10 GB for BT4 and 10 GB for Ubuntu

i know ubuntu is pretty smart in findind space in HDD so it can make room for itself from those 20 GB but what about BT ...thats y i want to install BT first then Ubuntu in the remaining spaces so that i hav triple boot....

i also wanna know if is it possible to place their boot loader in there respective partition without touching the original partition ....if not how to include all in grub ...

I hope this is xplainatory becuz i need help ..for the last 3 days i am on hold becuz every newcommer shud wait for 3 days ...

so can i expect any help from u guys ...

i will b really thankfull to u... ..

KMDave
02-16-2009, 01:51 AM
Maybe you should startz to writez in a pr0per way.

How much experience do you have with linux so far?

From your post I guess not that much.

joshiley
02-16-2009, 02:14 AM
Maybe you should startz to writez in a pr0per way.

How much experience do you have with linux so far?

From your post I guess not that much.

YUP not much experience in linux ...thats y i mentioned in the very beginning i am a newbie.... having said that i gathered lots of knoledge from here and there in a cluttered a way need a compilation i guess.....:) moreover wen u dont hav anyone one to help out internet and communities like this where i look to get help....

So what is the PROPER way to write i guess i hav to lean english..is it... i mean i gave all the information that is relevant here.... is somthin else i hav mention..reply plz

waitin...

KMDave
02-16-2009, 02:19 AM
YUP not much experience in linux ...thats y i mentioned in the very beginning i am a newbie.... having said that i gathered lots of knoledge from here and there in a cluttered a way need a compilation i guess.....:) moreover wen u dont hav anyone one to help out internet and communities like this where i look to get help....

So what is the PROPER way to write i guess i hav to lean english..is it... i mean i gave all the information that is relevant here.... is somthin else i hav mention..reply plz

waitin...

Just try to write in a normal way without all the z's and so on ;)

What is your intention of using BT?

joshiley
02-16-2009, 02:22 AM
Moreover everybody has to start someday or somwhere ...Sooner or later...regarding my problem...welll i only feared about my data which over 100 Gb and i hav no place to BAckup .......
prior to this i hav only used ubuntu which has pretty cool partitioner ... and u dont hav to b a rocket scientist to do that but in BT .... itz all basics... though i hav understood the basics of partions and all learned few commands as wel (ofcourse from internet :))

i wish this forum is helpful...

joshiley
02-16-2009, 02:26 AM
HAHAHA .. so itz all " ZZZ" bothering u dont mind jus a disease i caught due to 6 months of chatting... ..

hmmm intention for using BT.. good question.... :)
" Exploring and learning " i hav learned shell scripting and in persuit of leaning ubuntu and it features ... now BT is also in the list .....

and its not strange to FALL IN LOVE WITH BT ..THIS VALENTINE... :):)

KMDave
02-16-2009, 02:31 AM
Well a disease can be cured ;)
If you want to be taken serious you should get rid of all the "chat slang". It is not the way some talks if he wants to be taken serious and not being stamped as a script kiddie.

Well, you seem to search for knowledge and that is a good way. But to give you some honest and well meant advice: use the spare 20 GB to create another windows partition. Get VMWare and use the 20GB to create a VM. In that VM install Ubuntu and play around with it. If you are feeling comfortable with it, go to visit this site (http://www.linuxfromscratch.org) and get that running in the VMWare. It will teach you so much about Linux. When you worked your way through that, then you can start using BT.

BT is way to distracting if you still need to learn the basics.

If you need further help let me know. I will assist you during your learning if you want.

joshiley
02-16-2009, 02:46 AM
Well a disease can be cured ;)
If you want to be taken serious you should get rid of all the "chat slang". It is not the way some talks if he wants to be taken serious and not being stamped as a script kiddie.

Well, you seem to search for knowledge and that is a good way. But to give you some honest and well meant advice: use the spare 20 GB to create another windows partition. Get VMWare and use the 20GB to create a VM. In that VM install Ubuntu and play around with it. If you are feeling comfortable with it, go to visit link and get that running in the VMWare. It will teach you so much about Linux. When you worked your way through that, then you can start using BT.

BT is way to distracting if you still need to learn the basics.

If you need further help let me know. I will assist you during your learning if you want.

YUP true.....I will take care of that from next time....will use proper english ..:)
regarding VMware i already hav VMware installed and infact i practised the partitioning thing in VMware ..the only problem wen i run VMware is i only have 1 GB RAM so it just stucks there....

and from all of linux distros i used ubuntu most around six months i am pretty confident in handling ubuntu ......

..the link u gave is good and i will surely go through it.....

so is there any other way out with that partitioning thing... :)

KMDave
02-16-2009, 02:53 AM
You could use qtparted from a livecd to have a gui for doing the partitioning.

balding_parrot
02-16-2009, 08:05 PM
There is a number of very good reasons to write in proper english and not leetspeak, IM, txt chat etc.
This forum is viewed and used by people of all nationalities and language abilities. If you want to get have the potential of getting help from all of the forum members rather than just the ones that are native english speaking, then it makes sense to use as close to proper english as you can.

Although english is the language of this forum, it is not the native language of a vast proportion of this community.

Anything that makes your post harder to read is also likely to make people not even bother reading it, or even bothering to reply as a result of that.

When someone searches for a problem that has been covered in this thread, as you have used leet/IM/txt/whatever this thread will not show up in the results and they will be left without an answer.

There are plenty more reasons, but those should be enough for anybody.

People are not just moaning about it for no reason or just to be picky, as you can see there are very good reasons behind it.

joshiley
02-16-2009, 11:46 PM
Ok KMDAVE and BALDING PARROT ...i really apologise for my short hand english..... i wont repeat (or try to repeat ) that again.....

may thats why nobody is answering my question......:(

i have changed few things now my HDD looks like this....

The very First BLock of partition is LINUX 20 GB formatted with ext3....(denoted by sda3)
Next is a windows NTFS 20 GB (denoted by sda1)
The third is extended partion containing all my data and stuffs denoted by (sda5, sda6 , sda7)

i just need my sda3 block used for linux related matter and it is untouched with outer world......

when i run the set of commands like fdisk /dev/sda3
things go well and i could able to write it as well
and after writing when i list all the partition its again sda3 only...no linux swap no root nothing...so i fail to execute the formatting commands....

I stuck sombody help me out plzzzzz :(:(

/dev/sda3 1 2550 20482843+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda1 * 2551 5099 20474842+ HPFS/NTFS

KMDave
02-17-2009, 02:26 AM
What does fdisk -l say after you wrote your changes?

joshiley
02-17-2009, 03:17 AM
It displayed this information as if nothing happened.....
then i rebooted and login to my desktop and from the i started gparted to see if changes did occured or not .... sadly it hasnt.......

one more info i want to give... this section of 20 GB space i.e sda3 is right at the start of the disk ... i used gparted to create primary + ext3 partition....

one think i have noticed .... when i was giving commands sda3 was mounted does those commands work only on munted sda3 or is there ant problem....

/dev/sda3 1 2550 20482843+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda1 * 2551 5099 20474842+ HPFS/NTFS

joshiley
02-17-2009, 03:26 AM
I decided to go with BT4 as it has better hardware support ....but with out istaller it became a real pain in as***:( :(
never had that much problem wen i first installed and manually partitioned spaces for an old version of linux named Turbo linux ....can u think BT3 is slighty easier to install....or do i have to give up the idea as already i dropped the idea of triple boot..now i jus want BT4 and winxp...

KMDave
02-17-2009, 03:37 AM
BT3 requires you to do a manual installation too so no difference.

What happens if you do the partitioning via fdisk instead of gparted?

joshiley
02-17-2009, 03:51 AM
Hehehe.. so i guess no respite wether i go with BT3 or BT4...

ok... i have deleted that sda3 partition and it took away my windows installation files hal.dll eroor so i reinstalled windows...ok i will risk it again i will delete both sda1 and sda3 after that i make a ntfs partion for windows and the remaing will b left as unallocated....

now 1 question during manual partition does it is possible that overwrite current partition or it will take spaces from unallocated space... hope u get it want i want to ask..

joshiley
02-17-2009, 04:09 AM
reading purehate tutorial......
..............................showthread.php?t=201 34
he unmounted first and then he did partitioning.... the thing striking is he mention about partion id..

now partion id 1 or 2 or 3 generally taken up in my case sda2 for windows and also sda5 sda6 sda7 ....does i hav to replace with partition id may b 8 or 9 or 10... ???

KMDave
02-17-2009, 04:28 AM
Sorry but it is hard to understand what you want to say. Also use the edit function, there is a reason that there is a button for that ;)

Sure you have to use the right id's for your machine, if you just simply type what pureh@te did you will most likely mess up your drive.

joshiley
02-17-2009, 04:38 AM
Sorry but it is hard to understand what you want to say. Also use the edit function, there is a reason that there is a button for that ;)

Sure you have to use the right id's for your machine, if you just simply type what pureh@te did you will most likely mess up your drive.

hmmmm wel EDIT fuction i am using a lot because of the stern rules of the forum ..hehehhe... :D

so i may i try ubuntu and istall ir in the sda3 it will automatically make spaces for swap and all then i will format them to use it for BT4 Howz that sounds ...:)

IS IT POSSIBLE THAT WAY......

KMDave
02-17-2009, 04:42 AM
Sure it is. You could make ubuntu use the free space of sda3 and then go ahead and use it for the BT installation.

joshiley
02-17-2009, 04:46 AM
Sure it is. You could make ubuntu use the free space of sda3 and then go ahead and use it for the BT installation.

NOOO ..i dont want to use the free spaces..... after ubuntu installation.... i will remove files of ubutu i.e swap and / and /home and place or should i say copy BT installation files... does it possible... is it ever done b4 :P

KMDave
02-17-2009, 04:49 AM
Dude, why go with BT4 if you don't know the basics of Linux? Go here (http://www.linuxfromscratch.org) and start from there.

Learn how Linux is working exactly then you won't have issues with a simple thing like installing BT.

imported_blackfoot
02-17-2009, 04:57 AM
Well I see your problems and co-users here have tried to help.

Let us perhaps review things.

I sense that it is difficult for you to partition your disk and to understand the consequences. Try not to use extended partitions...stay solely with primary partitions (4).

As it is difficult for you to set up lilo or grub using a manual bt installation then you might have success with installing another (linux) distro and (yes...keeping it) modify the lilo.conf or grub.conf to point to the files in the third/fourth partition (your copied bt directories). This will avoid any chroot requirements and give you three OSs.

Overall, my advice is to leave only Windows on your machine on the hard-drive and to use bt3 or bt4 as a LiveCD without attempting to install to the hard-drive.

Try a similar LiveCD such as Knoppix to learn more about Linux.

joshiley
02-17-2009, 05:02 AM
Dude, why go with BT4 if you don't know the basics of Linux? Go here and start from there.

Learn how Linux is working exactly then you won't have issues with a simple thing like installing BT.

Thanx BRO for your help i really appreciate..... i will do it myself now.... the worst it can happen that i will loose all my data...so be it....

and i did started reading from that site itz really nice thanx for that too.... but i will surely install BT and thats the way i am........

KMDave
02-17-2009, 05:05 AM
And what's your reason for using BT instead of learning how Linux works?

joshiley
02-17-2009, 05:28 AM
And what's your reason for using BT instead of learning how Linux works?

Reason remains the same.... learning is the prime thing..... and even this installation thing is a part of learning i guess what i learned in past few days about installations and partitioning is simply priceless...

ANd i guess forums are like another institute where you get many helping hands though i dont trust each and every forum come on my way few are really helpful...

i agree with you is learning from scratch is bad thing... but i learn that way first putting my head in a mess then finding out the solution .... book reading ..i never enjoyed ....

and i want to learn tools and things which are there in BT including linux ....

so thats it...:):)

KMDave
02-17-2009, 05:32 AM
Yeah that's ok all in all but you are trying to learn tools without knowing the basics underneath it.

It's like you want to learn how to build a roof without knowing how the house beneath it is structured or build.

joshiley
02-17-2009, 06:22 AM
Yeah that's ok all in all but you are trying to learn tools without knowing the basics underneath it.

It's like you want to learn how to build a roof without knowing how the house beneath it is structured or build.

ahhh... you took in the wrong way KM dear :) ...... i am learning....and you know very well that everybody poke around here is not a hacker (nor do i )or somthing like that but there is somthing called curiosity and respect for the makers of the tools...... the tools really impressed me for sure ...i have used them in live CD version but there are issues in ma laptop with CD and pendrives so installation is the only solution.... Now lets say i will only use BT after i mastered all the concepts of linux ..then i dont think that day will ever come.....

I guess you are a pen tester ....and u also mentioned the secret of being a pen tester :)
I guess i will b one of that kind one day.....

ALL in ALL my intention of using BT isnt malicious its just the utmost love that i developed over past few days ... and it will gonna continue for long ....and as BT will provide more support ... soon i will get rid of all windows craps

I know you were got bit irritated with me.... wel i hav a habit of making people irritated ... so dont mind...

I think I like the idea of BLACK FOOT... bit of hassle free ...can u know how to do that.... or atleast where to search for...

Thanx will always there for you :):)

KMDave
02-17-2009, 06:33 AM
It is not that I would call myself a master of Linux nor anything else. There will almost always be someone who is better at any given task at hand. I also didn't say that you are supposed to become a linux master but to learn the real basics ;)
I know that you also want to learn the tools, but they are distracting from learning linux.
If you have too much shiny stuff around it will distract you from the task at hand.

It is great, that you have the will to learn and all. And I am not saying that you have anything bad in mind. That's why I gave you an honest and well meant answer.

I wish you all the best with your research. :)

joshiley
02-18-2009, 06:41 AM
Thanx KMdev things did worked out for me..... i have been using USB installation for BT4 and dual boot otherwise.... thanx for ur help..... :) and to others too :):)

erhardm
04-28-2009, 06:38 PM
Thank You KMDave!
You didn't convinced joshiley to learn linux from scratch and stay away from BT4, but you did convinced me. I saw once the LFS website but I did not download the livecd and I didn't care about it. Now, 15min until the download of the iso ends. I'm newbie but I tried to learn linux basics with BT. I did take little steps in WEP/WPA cracking, Wireshark/Ettercap (sniffing) packets analysis and other tools that "calls" the basics knowledge from the brain. My VMware BT4, pentoo,De-Ice machines will remain on my HDD but certain it will be the VMware LFS who's running frequently from now on, until I'm more comfortable and confident with my linux knowledge.

Thank You for pointing me in the right direction!