PDA

View Full Version : No Wifi After Install (Worked On Live CD)

Israel213
01-24-2009, 10:46 PM
Ok, for anyone who's seen me having so many install problems, I just realized today that the old cd I had was the beta of bt3, not the final. My Bad...

But the problem I have now worked on the beta installed and the final cd. But after installing bt3 by the directions in this thread (http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=14751&page=16) I can no longer get online with my wireless (which is the only interface I can get up). Normally I run this and my wireless card is up:

#ifconfig rausb0 up
#iwlist scan
#dhclient

But now when I get to dhclient I get this:

#dhclient
Listening on LPF/rausb0/00:1f:1f:09:0a:72
Sending on LPF/rausb0/00:1f:1f:09:0a:72
Sending on Socket/fallback
DHCPREQUEST on rausb0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
DHCPREQUEST on rausb0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
DHCPNAK from 192.168.2.1
DHCPDISCOVER on rausb0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 5
receive_packet failed on rausb0: Network is down
DHCPDISCOVER on rausb0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 14
receive_packet failed on rausb0: Network is down

I thought my card might be going bad. But I popped the live cd back in and it connects perfect. Is it possible something my have just not copied right in the install? Possibly mounting and re-copying the dhcp client packages? I don't know, but if there's a fix I'd love to hear it.

I don't think it matters, but I have an Intellinet card with Ralink RT73 Chipset.

Israel213
01-25-2009, 07:36 PM
I got it! I thought that maybe the tutorial I used installing through the command-line had missed something. I went and popped back in my BT3 Beta cd and right-clicked on the "Install Backtrack" and made a short-cut of it. Looking at the properties on it I saw it was executing this file: /usr/share/slax/BT3.kmdr I copied that file and my installer icon on zip and rebooted with the BT3 Final cd. Put the BT3.kmdr file in the /usr/share/slax folder and my new icon on the desktop. Clicked on the icon and installed just like in the previous distros. Boom! My internet worked. I suppose re-installing via command-line may or may not have worked, but I don't see why the BT community is discouraging using BT as a full time hard-drive install???

This was my experience starting in the Linux community. An OS you learn, is an OS you use. Yes, there are advantages to a live-cd, but it is a little slower and demanding on the cpu resources. I can see it can be more secure in the fact no malware can be written to the CD-ROM, but neither can a new password! If we all go to live cd's/usb's then anyone who can determine we're using Backtrack will have a short google to our user names and passwords! Perhaps if someone really wants to use the live version they could use a tool like "mkdistro" to change the default password/user names. That's just my 2 cents.