PDA

View Full Version : nessus in vmware problem

imported_fridash
01-19-2009, 04:53 AM
hello to all friends ..

i recently installed NESSUS on my vmware (6.5) using williamc guide http://forums.remote-exploit.org/member.php?u=10979

first i did not see the 3.2.0 packege so i grabbed the3.2.1

but i had no problem setting it up including all the plugins

every thing works good when i fire up the server and client

i connect to the server and try to run a scan ,

but when i try to scan it does so for a minute then dies ...:mad:

showing no results :confused: (vmware in briged)

i dont seem to get any result when i run the scan ,

does any one femelier with runinig nessus in vmware ?
is it the LAN interface configured wrong ?

i cant seem to get it to run a scan with ant result ?
is it the fedora 9 pak ? does it matter that i dident go for the 8 one like the in williams tut ???

thank for all help

gromeo
01-19-2009, 07:57 AM
strace your commands and run them from a terminal. Sometimes helps... to see why it dies.

imported_=Tron=
01-19-2009, 08:03 AM
First of all I cannot for the life of me understand why you got the fedora9 packets when the fedora8 ones are clearly available for download right next to it. Recently another member had a lot of dependency problems with compiling Nessus and it turned out that the underlying problem was that he had, as you, incorrectly downloaded the fc9 version of the files. But if you are certain that you managed to compile the program without any issues whatsoever there is no reason that it shouldn't work now once installed.

The fact that you do not get any results using Nessus can be related to many factors. One of them is that you have a fully patched box and good firewall present on the target computer that will detect the scan and refuse any answers. Nevertheless, If you know that this is not the case I would suggest that you go through the process once again, this time using the correct files, as they are proven to be working on BT3F.

imported_fridash
01-19-2009, 08:26 AM
well im preety sure i did it good

but ill take another look at it

does the fact im runing in a cable vpn connection has to do with it ?

imported_=Tron=
01-19-2009, 08:34 AM
well im preety sure i did it good

but ill take another look at it

does the fact im runing in a cable vpn connection has to do with it ?Quite possibly. An easy way to test whether it is working or not would be to fire up another VMware image, you can for example get one of the excellent De-ICE images that are readily working and have vulnerable services running by default, and by bridging the two guest OSs test out Nessus.