PDA

View Full Version : BackTrack 3 USB HD Install Question

aspekt9
01-18-2009, 09:52 PM
With Vista SP1 came the release of a new mobile file system called exFAT. Now if I'm going to be installing Back Track 3 USB version is exFAT supported yet? Or should I format it as FAT32? Also the USB Version doesn't allow save changes right? Thanks.

imported_cybrsnpr
01-18-2009, 10:08 PM
With Vista SP1 came the release of a new mobile file system called exFAT. Now if I'm going to be installing Back Track 3 USB version is exFAT supported yet? Or should I format it as FAT32? Also the USB Version doesn't allow save changes right? Thanks.

Your USB stick should already be formatted as FAT32, use that....and NO the USB version doesn't save changes by default. You need to create a 2nd partition on your stick (or have a slice on your hard drive available), make that partition ext2 or ext3, put a /changes directory on it (see this link: http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=7844) and then modify your syslinux.cfg file to point changes to that partition.

aspekt9
01-19-2009, 12:35 AM
Sorry, I should have been more specific. The USB Hard drive is 250GB therefore when I try to format it as FAT32 it says the volume is too big for FAT32. I guess the only way would be to partition it?

gromeo
01-19-2009, 02:17 AM
you guess right.