PDA

View Full Version : where to get usb ALFA AWUS036S card?

seankilla
01-10-2009, 04:03 PM
ive been looking for it now for a while and just couldnt find it! does anyone know where i can get it:confused:

id really appreciate the help

imported_fridash
01-10-2009, 04:36 PM
have you treid E bay ???

why not the h model ?

gromeo
01-10-2009, 05:11 PM
get the h model. (#1) http://tinyurl.com/37mlob ., or (#2) www.yatow.de ., or (#3) Cheapest source for an alfa is http://stores.ebay.com/simplewifi ., or (#4) eBay Data Alliance store (however they don't honour warranties) ., or (#5) www.rokland.com .

seankilla
01-10-2009, 05:16 PM
have you treid E bay ???

why not the h model ?

cause i thought that the s version is really similar and half the price,

anyway what usb card would you guys recomend thats fully capable, supports injection, and no more then like $30?

seankilla
01-10-2009, 05:43 PM
nvm dudes i got Linksys WUSB54GC, thanks for the help though

secure_it
01-11-2009, 03:59 AM
nvm dudes i got Linksys WUSB54GC, thanks for the help though
That is useless card sa its having power less then 20 mW.you would find that you are not able to penetate your router if its little far from your NIC.

Shatter
01-11-2009, 06:14 AM
AWUS036H is really worth its money. I have a WUSB54GC and it cannot compare to what the Alfa can do. Not even close!

johnyt
01-11-2009, 07:00 PM
AWUS036H is really worth its money. I have a WUSB54GC and it cannot compare to what the Alfa can do. Not even close!

I'll 2nd that plus you can upgrade the antena, had a parabolic dish on mine a while ago

imported_hatake_kakashi
01-12-2009, 12:58 AM
Well first, WUSB54GC doesn't have external antenna connectivity, which means that it would suck for reception-wise.

Second, apart from Alfa AWUS036S, its also known as Edimax EW-7318USg as well as Hawking HWUG1. All literally looks like the same except with slightly different brand name and maybe even colour on the outside.

secure_it
01-12-2009, 02:33 AM
Well first, WUSB54GC doesn't have external antenna connectivity, which means that it would suck for reception-wise.

Second, apart from Alfa AWUS036S, its also known as Edimax EW-7318USg as well as Hawking HWUG1. All literally looks like the same except with slightly different brand name and maybe even colour on the outside.
You can modify linksys wusb54gc and can put one external antenna on it.all you need to understand the internal circuitry and a little bit hardware hacking.
here is a tutorial to mod the wusb54gc internal antenna.

http://www.ab9il.net/wlan-projects/wifi5.html

imported_hatake_kakashi
01-12-2009, 10:11 AM
You can modify linksys wusb54gc and can put one external antenna on it.all you need to understand the internal circuitry and a little bit hardware hacking.
here is a tutorial to mod the wusb54gc internal antenna.

http://www.ab9il.net/wlan-projects/wifi5.html

That is true, however I'd personally choose a device which is capable of attaching external antenna rather than having to hack a device which does not have an external antenna to make it so that it will have one. For one to do this task requires steady hands and patience. Sometimes I don't have either of those :) The only other exception is if I stumbled across some very old hardware which does not have external antenna connector and I really need to have one, maybe I will do it :)

The other thing with hacking one to have it is that you have to make sure where you are soldering, I got an answer from one of this other guy on freenode in #wireless where he gave me this tip on d-i-y (aka, do it yourself) jobs is this: With soldering the cable onto the device and onto the copper pads (the ones you see that are either circles or square flat looking metal things) the pad will work providing that the rest of the components to feed the pad. Sometimes they are skipped if the pads are normally unused.
The trick is not melting the coax too severely, and not shorting the connector. Of course if this is not done properly, you could have a radio failure whereby it fails ~12 - 72 hours. This could result in low build quality causes a high internal SWR that east the transmit amplifier. It has been noted on cases with the wifi gear that has the coax soldered onto the board instead of using the proper connectors.

This was a tip from J4k3 with some slight modifications to make it a little more user-friendly :)

secure_it
01-12-2009, 11:02 AM
I am 100% agree you on this point that it need greater degree of accuracy and patience because these are the things which can damage the warranty and RF Rules in particular area.only proficient people must proceed with it.those are very small tiny circuits and slipping of soldering iron can result in either melting the circuit or can make the circuit absolutely useless.I was just giving the hint for those who have purchased that card and not getting reliable performance.

theprez98
01-12-2009, 12:46 PM
Just picked one up from Pasadena Networks (www.wlanparts.com), $52.50, works like a champ. Might be places to get it cheaper, but I'd rather go with someone I know or have dealt with in the past.

StanMarsh
01-14-2009, 02:37 AM
Got mine off ebay. Best investment! Well worth the $$$

godfather
01-15-2009, 02:42 PM
hello .. I was order it from this web site http://www.data-alliance.net/servlet/the-90/AWUS036H-Alfa-500mW-USB/Detail .. and it is cheaper than www.wlanparts.com..and great one with highpower TX .. in same time i still have some pb with injection and other aircrack suit tools in backtrack .. but it is work fine with another distribution such as fedora...I hope this can help you ..... bye

killadaninja
01-15-2009, 06:18 PM
Anyone from UK who reads this thread maybe intrested in this (http://www.wifi-antennas.co.uk/index.php?target=products&product_id=21) a 18 dbi antenna
This gives me 3 times the range of the standard antenna

Citruspers
01-19-2009, 02:49 PM
Anyone from UK who reads this thread maybe intrested in (URL) a 18 dbi antenna
This gives me 3 times the range of the standard antenna

Do note that it's a directional antenna ;)
Yagi style antenna's supposedly are very good, although i've yet to get my hands on one. in the mean time, my 10 dBi omni works great compared to the stock 2 dBi one.