PDA

View Full Version : I use WPA-PSK, but BT 3 states otherwise!

Googolplex
12-17-2008, 11:52 AM
Dear users who read this,

After getting BT3 up and running through VMware 6, I plugged my USB wireless in (Linksys WUSB54GC) and I went to wireless assistant and it detected my network. However, the strange thing is that it asks for me to enter the WEP passphrase for my network in order to connect, but the thing is that my network has WPA-PSK encryption and NOT WEP. There is also no way whatsoever to enter the WPA key because the boxes in the WPA section are blanked out (i.e. disabled to put it in a somewhat crude way). It will only let me enter a WEP key, and when I enter my WPA in the box for this it tries to connect but it fails, obviously.

Can anyone help me please?

purehate
12-17-2008, 11:55 AM
I can only assume your using the shitty wireless assistant GUI. I have personally never used it but I hear its crap and I dont think it supports wpa. You can connect to wpa using the wpa_supplicant tool and there are tons of tutorials on how to do it on this forum.

Googolplex
12-17-2008, 12:00 PM
This 'shitty' certainly supports WPA, or esle there woulden't be the option to enter the WPA code, its just that the box is blanked out.

And I will search the forums for this wpa_supplicant. Thank-you.

imported_=Tron=
12-17-2008, 02:12 PM
This 'shitty' certainly supports WPA, or esle there woulden't be the option to enter the WPA code, its just that the box is blanked out.

And I will search the forums for this wpa_supplicant. Thank-you.Yes you are correct it does indeed support WPA and I have managed to connect to my WPA encrypted network using the Wireless Assistant. As pureh@te states it is nevertheless one hell of a buggy software and you will save yourself from a lot of grey hairs by simply using the command line to connect instead.

wick86
12-17-2008, 02:18 PM
Yes you are correct it does indeed support WPA and I have managed to connect to my WPA encrypted network using the Wireless Assistant. As pureh@te states it is nevertheless one hell of a buggy software and you will save yourself from a lot of grey hairs by simply using the command line to connect instead.

I agree with Tron the command line is the way to go but if you just have to have a GUI use Kwlan its a lot better then the wireless assistant.

Googolplex
12-18-2008, 11:21 AM
Hi guys, thanks for the advice! Is anyone a fan of Solaris here? lol