PDA

View Full Version : Restricting slapt-get downloads based on package size.

mcai8rw2
11-24-2008, 09:36 AM
The question's in the title!

Does anyone have any advice on how to restrict what packages slapt-get downloads and installs, based on their package size.

I ask because doing "slapt-get --dist-upgrade" presents me with a list of <em>many</em> packages that need upgrading. Some are +10mb and these take aaaages to download.

So i'd like to download all the smalller packages first, then once thats done download the big-phat-momma packages.

Shavx
11-24-2008, 10:12 AM
+10MB takes ages?! what are you on Dial-up?! ha ha ha!!

mcai8rw2
11-24-2008, 11:09 AM
+10MB takes ages?! what are you on Dial-up?! ha ha ha!!

Well... despite the sarcasm, you actually have a relatively good point.

I am on broadband, but even though that is the case, downloading takes a long time. Much longer than I would have expected on broadband. I always assumed it was the download servers that were throttling the individual download speed. Perhaps not? Maybe it is my backtrack installation?

wick86
11-24-2008, 11:57 AM
Well... despite the sarcasm, you actually have a relatively good point.

I am on broadband, but even though that is the case, downloading takes a long time. Much longer than I would have expected on broadband. I always assumed it was the download servers that were throttling the individual download speed. Perhaps not? Maybe it is my backtrack installation?

First I would try changing your repository's in your slapt-get.rc to something closer to your location any slackware 12.1 repo will work you can also edit the rc file to exclude specific packages.

mcai8rw2
11-25-2008, 10:37 AM
First I would try changing your repository's in your slapt-get.rc to something closer to your location any slackware 12.1 repo will work you can also edit the rc file to exclude specific packages.

Thanks for the tip. I edited my SOURCE= file so that ONLY the darkstar server was there... it has speeded up loads.

So it looks like jaos, and the other one (?) restrict the download speed.

Thanks again.