PDA

View Full Version : Some observations...

Wakou
11-22-2008, 12:16 PM
I am not sure that this is the correct place for this post, mods please feel free to move/edit/delete as you see fit. I just thought I would share some of my experiences and travails with BT, and other Pentest live Linux packages. I am 100% linux noob.
I have:
A generic USB Wifi widget, Atheros chipset (I'll call this #1)*
A Hawking tech USB Wifi widget, also Atheros chipset (HWU8DD Rev. B) (#2)**
A Netgear USB Widget, Atheros 5005(?) chipset (#3)***

Firstly #3: Although this is from one of the most widely known manufacturers, does not seem to be supported in BT3 beta or final, Russix, Wifiway 0.6, 0.8 or 1.0.2
#1 & #2 Native fully supported in Wifiway 0.6, 0.8 and 1.0.2. Under Russix, I had to load a firmware package in to /lib/firmware/ZD1211, and then the cards seemed to work, injection etc included. WifiZoo worked perfectly out of the box. Using BT3 Beta I had to load the firmware package before they would work at all, but even then would not inject, or perform an Aireplay-ng -9 test. Under BT3 final, all seems to be fine using Aircrack, but the WEP/WPA crack script reports an error with NDISWRAPPER, even though the cards are using linux drivers, and not as far as I know using anything with an NDISWRAPPER. WifiZoo does not work at all, I have tried editing the wifizoo.py file to recognise my card(s) but it just stops.... I would like some help on this if anyone is up for it, I will fire up my other computer later and report the error messages, I use a live CD so, I will have to edit things again......
OTOH, SpoonWEP worked first time out of the box, with no fiddling or editing needed.
I notice that #1 and #2 are discussed at length in BOTH "Definitely not working hardware" and "definitely working hardware" sections on this forum!!

(forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=16281) and (forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=10241) I am not allowed to post links...

balding_parrot
11-22-2008, 10:35 PM
The answer is quite simple in that the Atheros drivers (Madwifi) do not and from what the makers say never will support USB.

Wakou
11-24-2008, 08:40 AM
Thanks, BP. I am NOT AFAIK using MadWifi drivers. As I say, airmon, airodump and Aireplay all work 100%, airerplay can do -9 switch attack tests etc, and Spoonwep successfully finds a WEP key in about 10 mninutes I wonder why wifizoo does not, and am guessing that it is the scrpiting which fails with my particular set up, and why the WPA/WEP script comes up with an Ndiswrapper error.

Barry
11-24-2008, 10:20 AM
Thanks, BP. I am NOT AFAIK using MadWifi drivers. As I say, airmon, airodump and Aireplay all work 100%, airerplay can do -9 switch attack tests etc, and Spoonwep successfully finds a WEP key in about 10 mninutes I wonder why wifizoo does not, and am guessing that it is the scrpiting which fails with my particular set up, and why the WPA/WEP script comes up with an Ndiswrapper error.

You're using windows drivers in a linux environment. Things are going to be a bit wonky.