PDA

View Full Version : Run VMware Tools automatically?

squishyalt
11-11-2008, 12:18 PM
How would I run VMware toolbox automatically?

Running it automaticlly isn't the problem. VMware won't run at all after the initial installation.

I also thought that VMware tools would run on BT3......

detay
11-13-2008, 04:19 AM
same problem me to

terminal86
11-13-2008, 05:55 AM
How would I run VMware toolbox automatically?

Running it automaticlly isn't the problem.

*confused*

But:

1. CTRL+D ( or VM-> Settings...)
2. Tab Options
3. >Power
4. Run VMware Tools scripts ...

altered.colours
11-16-2008, 02:37 PM
I don't understand the post, are there issues running the vmware-install.pl script in vmware-tools-distrib? Or is it because of an error starting the vmware-toolbox?

If it is vmware-instal.pl giving issues, have you previously downloaded the appropriate kernel headers? Get kernel sources from wiki.remote-exploit.org and extract them to /usr/src/linux/

Once you have the header files you can run vmware-install.pl which will actually build the tools from scratch.

squishyalt
11-25-2008, 08:32 PM
What I mean is that the vmware tools that allow you to smoothly drag items from your desktop to the bt3 desktop (or even just move your mouse in and out of bt3 without using CTR+ALT) don't work when the bt3 OS boots.

Does it need some time to start? Am I too impatient? Or should it be available as soon as the BT3 OS loads?

imported_=Tron=
11-26-2008, 03:40 AM
What I mean is that the vmware tools that allow you to smoothly drag items from your desktop to the bt3 desktop (or even just move your mouse in and out of bt3 without using CTR+ALT) don't work when the bt3 OS boots.

Does it need some time to start? Am I too impatient? Or should it be available as soon as the BT3 OS loads?It does work just fine in VMware fusion for me. I think you will have to install it manually, atleast I had to, and then reboot the guest OS before it will work.

alchemyandthunder
11-26-2008, 08:49 AM
What exactly are the steps to installing VMWare Tools on/in BackTrack?
I've been running BackTrack distros for several months and have always just dealt with clicking in and out, and Control+Commanding in and out.
I noticed that the virtual machine supplied by the Aircrack-ng team (Aircrack.vmx) has this preinstalled in their download (that or it just works) which is convenient. BackTrack is the only virtual machine that I've had trouble doing this with.

Sorry for having to blatantly ask, but unfortunately, the search function didn't yield much.
Thanks in advance, guys.

Edit: Oiy, my title is "just burned his ISO." How annoying and untrue.

imported_=Tron=
11-26-2008, 09:53 AM
What exactly are the steps to installing VMWare Tools on/in BackTrack?
I've been running BackTrack distros for several months and have always just dealt with clicking in and out, and Control+Commanding in and out.
I noticed that the virtual machine supplied by the Aircrack-ng team (Aircrack.vmx) has this preinstalled in their download (that or it just works) which is convenient. BackTrack is the only virtual machine that I've had trouble doing this with.

Sorry for having to blatantly ask, but unfortunately, the search function didn't yield much.
Thanks in advance, guys.

Edit: Oiy, my title is "just burned his ISO." How annoying and untrue.As far as I remember you have to choose the install VMware tools option under VMware. You get the required files mounted under BT3 at this point and then simply have to follow the installation instructions that are provided with the installation files. VMware will then suggest to compile a custom build of the tools since the kernel does not seem to be standard. Accept this and reboot BT once the installation is completed.

If you have any problems I can take a closer look once I am at home, but the whole process really was quite simple and nothing too involved.

alchemyandthunder
11-26-2008, 10:54 AM
As far as I remember you have to choose the install VMware tools option under VMware. You get the required files mounted under BT3 at this point and then simply have to follow the installation instructions that are provided with the installation files. VMware will then suggest to compile a custom build of the tools since the kernel does not seem to be standard. Accept this and reboot BT once the installation is completed.

If you have any problems I can take a closer look once I am at home, but the whole process really was quite simple and nothing too involved.

Yeah, I've clicked the menu item, opened the mount to view files, aaaaaaand there aren't any files in there. None. Which is half the reason this thing continues to throw me off.

But yeah, take a look at it when you get the chance. I'd really appreciate it. I'm sure I'm not the first idiot that has seen this and has been dumbfounded by it.

Thanks, =Tron=.

Also, if I end up getting this worked out before that happens, I'll be sure to post my findings for the community.

imported_=Tron=
11-26-2008, 11:45 AM
Yeah, I've clicked the menu item, opened the mount to view files, aaaaaaand there aren't any files in there. None. Which is half the reason this thing continues to throw me off.

But yeah, take a look at it when you get the chance. I'd really appreciate it. I'm sure I'm not the first idiot that has seen this and has been dumbfounded by it.

Thanks, =Tron=.

Also, if I end up getting this worked out before that happens, I'll be sure to post my findings for the community.That sounds rather weird. What version of VMware are you running, VMware Fusion I assume since you have a Macbook?

When I choose "Install VMware Tools" in Fusion I first get a disclaimer stating "Installing the VMware Tools will greatly enhance..." and once I choose install a virtual CD will be mounted. This include two files: manifest.txt and VMwareTools-e.x.p-116369.tar.gz

alchemyandthunder
11-26-2008, 12:27 PM
That sounds rather weird. What version of VMware are you running, VMware Fusion I assume since you have a Macbook?

When I choose "Install VMware Tools" in Fusion I first get a disclaimer stating "Installing the VMware Tools will greatly enhance..." and once I choose install a virtual CD will be mounted. This include two files: manifest.txt and VMwareTools-e.x.p-116369.tar.gz

Version 2.0 (116369)

I get the dialog telling me it'll greatly enhance and the dialog asking what I want to do with the newly mounted directory; however, when I open the directory, there's nothing in it.

ozzy66
11-26-2008, 01:23 PM
hi.. firtst sorry my englisch (i dount can english)

Now i have sucessfull install vmware tools...

my basic system is Windows..and BT3 as Vmware image

First i search on my windows-system the vmware order, in the order i have found linux.iso ..

- copy linux.iso on my BT3-vitual-mashine \tmp
- mkdir /tmp/vmware_tools
- sudo mount -o loop /tmp/linux.iso /tmp/vmware_tools
- cd /tmp/vmware-tools-distrib
- ./vmware-install.pl

now a error.. "cann not linlk /etc/pam.d/vmware-guestd

- mkdir /etc/pam.d
- cp /usr/sbin/vmware-guestd /etc/pam.d

now run the second time

- ./vmware-install.pl
- halt (rebbot BT3)

-cd /tmp/vmware-tools-distrib/bin
- vmware-config-tools.pl
- cd /usr/bin
- vmware-toolbox

Autostart dount run by my..!

i have copy K08vmware to /etc/bin
start it with a shell

so i am a noob.. but it run.... and i hope someone haf a hint for atuostart.

now i can use the tolls for exaple copy files from BT to Windows..

please write you a better tut..

cherrs ozzy

alchemyandthunder
11-26-2008, 02:05 PM
hi.. firtst sorry my englisch (i dount can english)

Now i have sucessfull install vmware tools...

my basic system is Windows..and BT3 as Vmware image

First i search on my windows-system the vmware order, in the order i have found linux.iso ..

- copy linux.iso on my BT3-vitual-mashine \tmp
- mkdir /tmp/vmware_tools
- sudo mount -o loop /tmp/linux.iso /tmp/vmware_tools
- cd /tmp/vmware-tools-distrib
- ./vmware-install.pl

now a error.. "cann not linlk /etc/pam.d/vmware-guestd

- mkdir /etc/pam.d
- cp /usr/sbin/vmware-guestd /etc/pam.d

now run the second time

- ./vmware-install.pl
- halt (rebbot BT3)

-cd /tmp/vmware-tools-distrib/bin
- vmware-config-tools.pl
- cd /usr/bin
- vmware-toolbox

config what you like..

now i can use the tolls for exaple copy files from BT to Windows..

please write you a better tut..

cherrs ozzy

If I understand this right, just copy any Linux ISO file into my virtual disk and try to find the file on that? Is that basically what you're suggesting?

ozzy66
11-26-2008, 02:16 PM
@alchemyandthunder

you have a basic OS (by my is this Windows) BT is my Virtual os on vmware..

i have found linux.iso in "C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Workstation"

alchemyandthunder
11-26-2008, 06:13 PM
I don't think it does me much good. I'm on OS X.
:-/

ozzy66
11-27-2008, 01:57 AM
why not..? search on your OS X the linux file...evry vmware have the tools (linux.iso)
in the install file from vmware or search it on the internet
you must install linux.iso on BT3

with me it runs very well, the only problem i must start it evry time: K08vmware

ozzy

alchemyandthunder
11-27-2008, 04:31 AM
why not..? search on your OS X the linux file...evry vmware have the tools (linux.iso)
in the install file from vmware or search it on the internet
you must install linux.iso on BT3

with me it runs very well, the only problem i must start it evry time: K08vmware

ozzy

I just tried to do this manually. The mountpoint still doesn't exist. This is getting very strange. I can open the ISO in OS X but BackTrack won't do ANYTHING with it.

This is a really dumb time to not have a pen drive on me. Even file/folder sharing fails.

Edit: Damn it... I know how to use the internet...
*Sigh*

ozzy66
11-27-2008, 04:37 AM
i have copy the linux.iso whith a extern HD...

gif a look at the other thread "vmware tools" in the tutorial section....

alchemyandthunder
11-27-2008, 04:52 AM
i have copy the linux.iso whith a extern HD...

gif a look at the other thread "vmware tools" in the tutorial section....

I'm uploading the files to my MediaFire account as we speak. I'll then open the link in BackTrack, download the files, and then probably punch myself in the face.

:eek:

imported_=Tron=
11-27-2008, 04:58 AM
I just tried to do this manually. The mountpoint still doesn't exist. This is getting very strange. I can open the ISO in OS X but BackTrack won't do ANYTHING with it.If your problem is that the mount point does not exist you can simply create it, for example:
mkdir /mnt/hdc

alchemyandthunder
11-27-2008, 05:02 AM
If your problem is that the mount point does not exist you can simply create it, for example:
mkdir /mnt/hdc

:eek: x 50500493284923489523

There it is.

=Tron=, you are the man.

facepalm.jpg

imported_=Tron=
11-27-2008, 05:20 AM
:eek: x 50500493284923489523

There it is.

=Tron=, you are the man.

facepalm.jpgSometimes the simplest solutions are the hardest to find, glad we got it sorted out in the end though. :D

What threw me off a little was that it from your posts seemed like the drive was being mounted correctly, but simply didn't contain anything. Now it is evident that the reason was that it never actually mounted.

alchemyandthunder
11-27-2008, 11:17 PM
Sometimes the simplest solutions are the hardest to find, glad we got it sorted out in the end though. :D

What threw me off a little was that it from your posts seemed like the drive was being mounted correctly, but simply didn't contain anything. Now it is evident that the reason was that it never actually mounted.

It LOOKed as if it were mounted I got a window that should've had files in it.

I guess I just didn't quite know what I was looking for. A mounted drive could theoretically be empty. Perhaps a failed installation of VMWare? But no.

...That and I've never needed to mount a drive in BackTrack before.
And any other Linux or Windows virtual machine just... Worked.

Thanks again for your help, =Tron= and Ozzy66. I was a second away from getting it manually once my upload was finished. And I didn't see the post that Ozzy66 was referencing until after it was installed and done. I'm surprised it wasn't in my search results like this thread was. o.O

Oh well. Works. Works great. Much obliged.

For search/find purposes, here's the post that Ozzy66 referenced:
hxxp://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?p=108327

(Sorry for the double post, I couldn't edit this late.)