PDA

View Full Version : Installing to HDD

hitmanpete
09-24-2008, 02:24 PM
I know this question gets asked a lot so sorry but i cant work it out as all the tutorials i have seen are for backtrack 3. However i have one HDD and i dont want it to be muliti boot as i will add this HDD into my other pc and then i should be able to boot into it from that one. So i want to format this HDD fully and install BT3. When i go to edit the drive it says "permission denied" so i would like some help :)

thanks all.

imported_=Tron=
09-24-2008, 02:27 PM
When i go to edit the drive it says "permission denied" so i would like some help :)What exactly do you mean when you say you "go to edit the drive"? And what program are you using to do this? Some more information on the partitioning of the drive could also be of value to anyone able to help you out.

hitmanpete
09-24-2008, 03:58 PM
Im using the program in backtack3 i think its called cfdisk or something.

ShadowKill
09-24-2008, 04:15 PM
Im using the program in backtack3 i think its called cfdisk or something.

You should be using fdisk, is that what you mean?

hitmanpete
09-25-2008, 02:11 AM
I try too using fdisk but it says "you do not have wright permission"

Leniux
12-05-2008, 10:27 AM
I try too using fdisk but it says "you do not have wright permission"

If you have both hard drives installed, and want to see what HDD is the WinXP one and which one is the one you want to install BT3. You have to see how they are mounted. So type this is in the shell konsole.

mount <ENTER>

*This will let you see what is mounted to your PC. and if you slave drived it onto your machine it should come up as HDB. So it will show it somewhat like this /dev/hdb

*Now if you want "cfdisk" that drive. Type this is in Shell Konsole.

cfdisk /dev/hdb <ENTER>

*This will bring up that HDD and all of the partitions in it. MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT WIPE OUT YOUR WINDOWS HDD. SO I WOULD RECOMMEND FOR YOU TO SIMPLY UNPLUG THE POWER TO YOU WINDOWS HDD AND ONLY LEAVING THE POWER TO YOUR BLANK HDD.
Hope this helps. Leniux From Ri