PDA

View Full Version : Wireless card question!!! =0)

IneedHelp
09-12-2008, 10:03 PM
Yea so I know all the mods hate these but they can't say too much about this one because I did use the search tool and even used google and still no answers so here it is... Im ready to buy a new wireless card... I really want the Ubiquiti Networks sr71 usb but it is taking forever to get released and even though you can connect to n band 802.11 networks with MIMO technology the tx output power is only 300mW I believe, it really looks like its gonna be a nice card but with it being a usb and having an atheros chipset using madwifi-ng drivers will it still be compatible with the aircrack-ng suite? Ive read that madwifi drivers don't support injection on usb cards does anybody know if that has/will be fixed somehow? Also I am considering buying the Alfa 500mW usb card... which one is better? the sr71 usb costs $150.00 and the Alfa is around $50-60 and from what the specs say is a more powerful card... Im not a wifi card expert so I wanna know from someone who is... Which one is the champ? Should I keep waiting for this ubiquiti card to come out or just go get the Alfa? all responses are appreciated!!! ;)

imported_=Tron=
09-13-2008, 02:24 AM
... but with it being a usb and having an atheros chipset using madwifi-ng drivers will it still be compatible with the aircrack-ng suite? Ive read that madwifi drivers don't support injection on usb cards does anybody know if that has/will be fixed somehow?The madwifi drivers do not support any atheros based USB card, so you will only be able to use it with the windows driver along with NDISwrapper. This means no monitor mode and no injection support.

Also I am considering buying the Alfa 500mW usb card... which one is better? Get the Alfa AWUS036H.

IneedHelp
09-13-2008, 11:46 AM
The madwifi drivers do not support any atheros based USB card, so you will only be able to use it with the windows driver along with NDISwrapper. This means no monitor mode and no injection support.

Get the Alfa AWUS036H. well thank you sir... that was a good response.... I have seen you post numerous topics and responses on here with some really good answers so I trust your opinion... thanks for saving me $100 lol... what antenna works the best with the Alfa? Im getting one of those laptop 7dbi clip antennas for sure but for when im not moving around (this is going on a laptop obviously) I am also looking at perhaps a stationary antenna of some sort that has some super range on it.... also what about those 2.4ghz amplifiers? would I be able to put one on the Alfa without frying my card? and would it be practical? also how much difference would I see? My goal is to build a monster wifi setup just incase you didn't figure that out yet lol all your responses are appreciated...