PDA

View Full Version : / partition disk space

markian
07-08-2008, 11:17 PM
Good day,

I have one question, I installed backtrack 3 successfully and explored alot.
I noticed my / partition is almost full disk.

bt ~ # df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
aufs 4.6G 4.6G 0 100% /
/dev/hdd3 4.6G 4.6G 0 100% /mnt/hdd3
/dev/hdd1 99M 9.5M 85M 11% /mnt/hdd1
/dev/hda1 11G 4.5G 6.4G 42% /mnt/hda1
/dev/hda5 64G 62G 2.1G 97% /mnt/hda5

/dev/hdd3 is my / partition. I remember only its only 1 CD when i burned backtrack 3. Probably its not more than 700MB. I wonder why its 4.6GB now. Any commands where i can view files and folders with size on that partition?

Thanks

imported_wyze
07-08-2008, 11:48 PM
dh command

markian
07-09-2008, 03:58 AM
re-read my post pls.. Yes i already did df -h command

imported_=Tron=
07-09-2008, 04:11 AM
re-read my post pls.. Yes i already did df -h commandTry the command du instead.

markian
07-09-2008, 04:16 AM
okey thanks.. that works. but anyone have idea why my /dev/hdd3 goes 4.6G ?

imported_=Tron=
07-09-2008, 04:25 AM
/dev/hdd3 is my / partition. I remember only its only 1 CD when i burned backtrack 3. Probably its not more than 700MB. I wonder why its 4.6GB now. Any commands where i can view files and folders with size on that partition?

ThanksFirst of all BT3F is compressed to fit onto a CD and therefore will be much bigger than 700 Mb once you actually install it onto your HDD.

okey thanks.. that works. but anyone have idea why my /dev/hdd3 goes 4.6G ? Secondly, as you say you "explored" a lot you have probably saved a bunch of useless pcap files, among others, that currently are eating up your free space.

markian
07-09-2008, 04:36 AM
ahh.. thanks for your reply tron, I have now the idea and iam going to continue searching and explore it. and also sorry for my noob question. I know the feelings :P

thanks again

Szeky
07-11-2008, 01:52 PM
hi people

I have the same problem

I installed BT3 to a 9.6 GB partition and df -h says that it is full

The strange thing is, that when I download a package from the internet with mozilla then it successfully writes it to my root folder, but when I try to extract it then it says that there is not enough free space.

The other thing: when I install a new package for example gkrellm then it installs it, but when I try to upgrade the dist then it says that there is 0 B free on my partition.

df -h:

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
aufs 9.6G 9.3G 0 100% /

If somebody can help me, please

thx in advance

cheers
szeky

markian
07-12-2008, 06:05 AM
hmmm... what are the files that are considered temp files / pcap files. Maybe those files under /tmp ? iam not sure though... and also maybe posible to resize my / partition using qtparted booting on the livecd

imported_=Tron=
07-12-2008, 12:05 PM
hmmm... what are the files that are considered temp files / pcap files. Maybe those files under /tmp ? iam not sure though... and also maybe posible to resize my / partition using qtparted booting on the livecdIf you have collected a lot of data packets using for example airodump-ng chanses are that the .cap files still can be found in your /root directory in case you have not manually deleted them.

The directory /tmp, that you mention, is used by a bunch of different programs as a temporary storing place. For example firefox will save files here that you choose not to download, but to view at once using an external program. For more information on the /tmp directory check out the following link:
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/Linux-Filesystem-Hierarchy/html/tmp.html

markian
07-13-2008, 05:30 AM
thanks for the info tron.